New G2 !

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Tommy White

Post by Tommy White »

Thanks so much fellas’. The new Green Hornet Mullen G2 guitar has reversed necks. C6th on top, E9th on bottom neck. It is something I’ve wanted to try for years. The guitar has a growl and beautifully balanced pleasing midrange I really like. Something about having necks reversed makes the tonal balance enhanced. Of course it plays like butter and tunes up so easy. It’ll take a practice session or 3 to get familiar with reversed necks. I’m always looking for ways to shake things up a bit. This is it. It’s so comfortable and fun to play! Look for it on tv and Grand Ole Opry soon.
Donny Hinson, love your posts! You always make me smile and nod in agreement when reading your advice and perspectives. 😊
Tommy White

Post by Tommy White »

Terry,
I’m sure your guitar will be completed soon. Mullen guitars are worth the wait. 😊
Last edited by Tommy White on 16 Sep 2022 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tommy White

Post by Tommy White »

Carl,
At present, I practice through a refurbed Sho-Bud slide pot S-15 from ages ago . Webb and sometimes a re-issue “68” Fender Deluxe reverb. The G2 sounds great to my old ears in anything I plug into. The new Mullen G2 responds with the same great tones in whatever is available.
Tommy White

Post by Tommy White »

John Macy,
Thank you for sharing! Del Mullen should be recognized as a hero of pedal steel guitar manufacturers. Del is the epitome of gentleman, genius, builder, designer and friend of pedal steel. Del’s designs will last thru the ages of pedal steel in my opinion.
Last edited by Tommy White on 16 Sep 2022 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tony Dingus

Post by Tony Dingus »

Beautiful guitar Tommy.

Tony
Mike Mantey

Post by Mike Mantey »

Great to see the Green Hornet out flying. Can't wait to hear her sing. Tommy you are one of my greatest friends and IMHO one if not the best player still with us today. You are a true hero of mine and a life long friend. I cherish our relationship dearly brother.

We have been hard at endplates and running wood this week. You can start to see many guitars flowing out of the shop again in the next couple weeks. It is really hard to keep up with this demand in the World we live in now, but I promise we are doing everything we can to get them out to you great customers of ours. Please hang tight a little longer the finish line is approaching. God Bless you all!!
Bill Lowe

Post by Bill Lowe »

cool guitar, modern but classic . Good luck with it. You did good Mike Mantey.
JCH D10, 71 D10 P/p fat back, Telonics TCA 500C--12-,Fender JBL Twin, Josh Swift signature.
Tommy White

Post by Tommy White »

Mike Mantey,
Back at you! Mullen Guitar Co. is in the most capable hands with you at the helm!
You are continuing a stellar legacy. So proud of you and what we’ve accomplished.
The Green Hornet is an incredible example of today and yesterday’s pedal steel guitar. The attention to detail, fit and finish with cutting edge technology is amazing. Thank you for building the best instrument available!
Morton Kellas

Post by Morton Kellas »

Years ago, I used to wonder how Chalker got so many E9th licks on the C6th neck until I found out it was reversed, I knew even less then, than I do now. Beautiful instrument for sure Tommy, I'm happy for you.
Greg Brouelette

Post by Greg Brouelette »

That is one beautiful guitar. The reversed necks sound interesting. I don't have a pedal steel yet, I'm a lap steel player, but I really like the jazz chord possibilities of the C6 neck so that's interesting to have it up front.

Tommy White wrote:Terry,
I’m sure your guitar will be completed soon. Mullen guitars are worth the wait. 😊
I hope I'm not stirring up anything, but what kind of wait is a typical Mullen waiting list? Months? Years?
Terry Elms

Post by Terry Elms »

Hey Greg, you're not stirring anything up. I ordered my guitar Feb 28th and was told it would be approx. 6 months. I'm not complaining or disappointed at all. I'm just excited and I know it's just around the corner. I'm happy to wait, I understand the issues these days with supplies. I'll post some pics when I get it. I'm looking forward to the drive to pick it up!
Greg Brouelette

Post by Greg Brouelette »

Terry Elms wrote:Hey Greg, you're not stirring anything up. I ordered my guitar Feb 28th and was told it would be approx. 6 months. I'm not complaining or disappointed at all. I'm just excited and I know it's just around the corner. I'm happy to wait, I understand the issues these days with supplies. I'll post some pics when I get it. I'm looking forward to the drive to pick it up!
Well that's not bad at all for a hand made instrument. Especially with any sort of custom finish or special setup.

What a great road trip to drive somewhere like that to pick up a new instrument. And I'm sure you'd feel safer about it than having it sent UPS (although I'm sure Mullen knows how to pack guitars properly, they ship all over the world). But wow, what a great excuse for a road trip. :-)

Totally off the main topic : I don't know where you're driving from, but if you're passing through southern Colorado on the way to Flagler There's an amazing day trip of what has been called the most beautiful road in America. Go from Durango north to Silverton, then 550 north to Ridgeway, the 62 west to Placerville, then 145 to Telluride and all the way down to Cortez, then 160 east back to Durango. Watch the weather though. Parts of that road are over 10,000 feet in elevation. We did it last year in July and even then we hit a major rain storm. The views are a bucket list event. Just stunning views of the mountains.

[Edit] I just noticed that you're in Colorado Springs. So that loop is out of your way for this trip. My gosh there's some beautiful scenery in your state.
Terry Elms

Post by Terry Elms »

I live in Colorado Springs. I've made that trip through southern Colorado a few times and it is beautiful!
Tommy White

Post by Tommy White »

I must tell you, after getting used to reversed tunings on my new Mullen G2 , it is a new and yet nostalgic feeling about pedal steel guitar. The reversed necks are the most comfortable and ergonomic to me. Something to consider.
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

Congratulations. What a great-looking guitar.

There were several nay-sayers when the G2 was first introduced.

Click Here

Looks like the G2 design was "sound" (pun intended) after all!

:D

~Lee
Roger Crawford

Post by Roger Crawford »

Tommy, I’m looking forward frequent updates on the neck change. Did you keep the pedal arrange the same?
Tommy White

Post by Tommy White »

Hi Rog! Yes, I did keep the same copedant as my other Mullen guitars equipped with 9 floor pedals and 8 levers. Every pedal and lever are the same and in the same place as before. This guitar is incredibly fun to play. 😊
Johnie King

Post by Johnie King »

Nice can’t wait for Tommy’s thoughts on the E9th Kroger neck on the back.
Beautiful G2.!

Well Rodger thoughts are worded better.
Charlie Thompson

Post by Charlie Thompson »

Congrats Tommy. Just saw you at the Opry with the RP... Sounded GREAT!..You going to play the new one on the Opry?