23.5” scale?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Dave Zirbel

23.5” scale?

Post by Dave Zirbel »

Have any of the steel manufacturers used 23.5” scale length? Just curious..🤔
Dave Zirbel-
Sierra S-10 (Built by Ross Shafer),ZB, Fender 400 guitars, various tube and SS amps
Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

That's a bit short - I'd be surprised.
Make sleeping dogs tell the truth!
Homebuilt keyless U12 7x5, Excel keyless U12 8x8, Williams keyless U12 7x8, Telonics rack and 15" cabs
Dave Zirbel

Post by Dave Zirbel »

Early 1960’s Fenders we’re 23”. I have an early Marlen 8 string that is 23” also.
Dave Zirbel-
Sierra S-10 (Built by Ross Shafer),ZB, Fender 400 guitars, various tube and SS amps
Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

I admit I know little about those early guitars - I was thinking of modern ones. The one I built a few years back was 24", because that was the length of the 60s pull-release D10 I copied most of the measurements from. 24¼" seems popular now. My Excel U12 is 25½" to prevent the bottom strings from being too flobby and it sounds great, but getting the 3rd string G# up to pitch requires nerve :)
Make sleeping dogs tell the truth!
Homebuilt keyless U12 7x5, Excel keyless U12 8x8, Williams keyless U12 7x8, Telonics rack and 15" cabs
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

The earliest Fender model 1000 and 400 were 24.5" scales, and they were reduced to 23" in 1963. (The short-lived Fender PS-210 was also 23".) Of course, the non-pedal Fender steels were 22.5" and 24.5" scales, with the vast majority being the shorter scale. I once played a 22" scale pedal steel of unknown make at the Ozarks Club in D.C. back in the 1960's, and while it didn't have a lot of sustain, the sound was pretty neat; kinda "plinky". :)
Dave Zirbel

Post by Dave Zirbel »

Donny, I think Red Rhodes had Sierra build him a 22.5” scale pedal steel in the 1970’s.
Dave Zirbel-
Michael Sawyer

Post by Michael Sawyer »

Donny Hinson wrote:The earliest Fender model 1000 and 400 were 24.5" scales, and they were reduced to 23" in 1963. (The short-lived Fender PS-210 was also 23".) Of course, the non-pedal Fender steels were 22.5" and 24.5" scales, with the vast majority being the shorter scale. I once played a 22" scale pedal steel of unknown make at the Ozarks Club in D.C. back in the 1960's, and while it didn't have a lot of sustain, the sound was pretty neat; kinda "plinky". :)
Donny i have an old blonde 400 ,22.5 scale.
Same as your comment above,super tone,zero sustain
mainly above 12th fret.Plinky is the perfect description of mine up high.
Bruce Derr

Post by Bruce Derr »

GFI was making a flight guitar, the Aero, that had a short scale, 23" or somewhere around there. I don't know if they still make it.
J D Sauser

Post by J D Sauser »

Ian Rae wrote:I admit I know little about those early guitars - I was thinking of modern ones. The one I built a few years back was 24", because that was the length of the 60s pull-release D10 I copied most of the measurements from. 24¼" seems popular now. My Excel U12 is 25½" to prevent the bottom strings from being too flobby and it sounds great, but getting the 3rd string G# up to pitch requires nerve :)
High G# on E9th:
It's not scale length but total string length which governs tension.
On E9th, the high G# is usually the 3'rd string, which puts it at the 3rd tuner a good 1+ inch further away than what it is on a "keyless". Thus the tension of that string on a 25 1/2" keyless guitar should be about the same or less than on a 24 1/2" keyed guitar.
It's the middle strings which are less tensioned, even with the longer scale length, as they don't have the added string length into the far end of a key head.

... J-D.

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.
Earnest Bovine

Post by Earnest Bovine »

J D Sauser wrote:It's not scale length but total string length which governs tension.
Sorry; I can't let this go by. Think about it.
J D Sauser

Post by J D Sauser »

Earnest Bovine wrote:
J D Sauser wrote:It's not scale length but total string length which governs tension.
Sorry; I can't let this go by. Think about it.
Meaning, Earnest?... J-D.

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.
Bruce Derr

Post by Bruce Derr »

I remember Winnie Winston mentioning that during a Kline demo at a PSGA meeting in 1978. It's one of the reasons I bought my Kline.
Jack Wilson

Gfi

Post by Jack Wilson »

You can still order a 22.5" scale GFI. I have one and the sustain is the same has my 24". That model was designed for Mike Sigler who wanted it for overhead plane storage.
Daniel McKee

Post by Daniel McKee »

Don’t remember where but I recently saw a custom GFI U12 with the 22.5 inch scale. It may have been on reverb for sale but anyway I was curious how the short scale would sound with those big low strings in the universal tuning.
Paul Redmond

Post by Paul Redmond »

As I recall, Miller used a 23-1/2" scale.
PRR