ShoBud Permanent Parts Help

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jim Trantham

ShoBud Permanent Parts Help

Post by Jim Trantham »

Does anyone have changers for ShoBud Permanent for sale? The changer shaft measures .488”…
‘51 Gibson Super 300, Carter D-12, Carter D-10, Evans FET 500, ‘65 Fender Twin, ‘69 Martin D-35… Been performing for 60 years and counting….,
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

What's wrong with the one's on the guitar now?
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Jim Trantham

Post by Jim Trantham »

Richard Sinkler wrote:What's wrong with the one's on the guitar now?
Nothing. I need 4 more to get the changes I want on both necks.
‘51 Gibson Super 300, Carter D-12, Carter D-10, Evans FET 500, ‘65 Fender Twin, ‘69 Martin D-35… Been performing for 60 years and counting….,
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Ahh. The limitations of a Permanent. Hope you find some. That would be awesome.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Chris Lucker

Post by Chris Lucker »

Jim Trantham wrote:
Having had four Sho-Bud Permanents myself, my experience is that the fingers were different from guitar to guitar. Permanent fingers are simple and your easier solution will likely be having your fingers copied. Heck, it can be done with a vise, a hacksaw, a file or grinder and a drill press. At the same time, you can place the rod holes or adjust finger length to facilitate/time the intended changes.
Chris Lucker
Red Bellies, Bigsbys and a lot of other guitars.
Jim Trantham

Post by Jim Trantham »

Chris Lucker wrote:
Jim Trantham wrote:
Having had four Sho-Bud Permanents myself, my experience is that the fingers were different from guitar to guitar. Permanent fingers are simple and your easier solution will likely be having your fingers copied. Heck, it can be done with a vise, a hacksaw, a file or grinder and a drill press. At the same time, you can place the rod holes or adjust finger length to facilitate/time the intended changes.
Thanks Chris. I have the ability to make them, just thought it might easier to purchase some. The ones in my guitar seem to be very crudely made….
Chris Lucker

Post by Chris Lucker »

Bingo. But you should see the pull release fingers on early Wrights. The hacksaw blade marks were never polished out.
The only clean fingers I have seen for early pull releases were the push-pull conversion fingers Jon Frye made in the mid Fifties for Wrights and later for Sho-Bud Permanents.
Chris Lucker
Mark Perrodin

frye

Post by Mark Perrodin »

jim,
i don’t mean to hijack your thread but i am real curious about mr. lucker’s reply. i had no idea that wright customs ever got converted to push-pull from pull release. any pics or info would be appreciated. thx chris.
Gary Spaeth

Post by Gary Spaeth »

what parts were welded so you couldn't change setups?
K Maul

Post by K Maul »

The pullers on the cross rods were welded in position.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Webb, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.
Chris Lucker

Post by Chris Lucker »

Tell me what cross shafts with welded pullers you need. I got five or more dozen from Jon Frye leftover from his conversions decades ago.
Chris Lucker
Barry Coker

Post by Barry Coker »

Hi Jim: I'm not sure if you can use these or not I cut them with my CNC while trying to get my program worked out. There 5/16" thick about 3 1/2" total length and the standard 3/4 Radious.

They need polishing, the holes drilled and the pin for the string installed. PM me if you're Interested.

Barry
Zum-D-10, Webb 614-E, 65 Pro Reverb, Evans RE200, 69 Gibson Birdland, 89 Telecaster EAD Bad!!
Jim Trantham

Post by Jim Trantham »

Barry Coker wrote:Hi Jim: I'm not sure if you can use these or not I cut them with my CNC while trying to get my program worked out. There 5/16" thick about 3 1/2" total length and the standard 3/4 Radious.

They need polishing, the holes drilled and the pin for the string installed. PM me if you're Interested.

Barry
Thank you. I finally milled 4 of the changers on my heavy duty drill press…. The CNC would have been a lot easier than the way I did it…
Here are 2 of the 4 I made…. Thanks again….Jim
Barry Coker

Post by Barry Coker »

Looks good your well on your way.

Good Luck
Barry
Zum-D-10, Webb 614-E, 65 Pro Reverb, Evans RE200, 69 Gibson Birdland, 89 Telecaster EAD Bad!!
Chris Lucker

Post by Chris Lucker »

Those look great.
Chris Lucker