Jeff Newman

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Gary Kaye

Jeff Newman

Post by Gary Kaye »

Anyone know what steel Jeff was playing in the mid 90’s. All I know is it was red and sustained beyond belief. He certainly know how to,pull tone out of a instrument and make it sing!
Thanks
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

He played many steel guitars. I know he had a red Kline and others, but the one I saw him play the most in that era was the red Uni ZumSteel.

He was a tremendous player besides being a teacher and his tone was super. Of course, he sounded terrific on all of them.
Bill Ferguson

Post by Bill Ferguson »

I just posted a video yesterday from the mid 90's and Jeff is playing his infamous CARTER. Yep, tone to the bone.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.
Darrell Criswell

Post by Darrell Criswell »

What was "infamous" about Jeff Newman's Carter guitar? Thanks!
Bill Ferguson

Post by Bill Ferguson »

Because Jeff was the one playing it :-)
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.
Darrell Criswell

Post by Darrell Criswell »

Does anyone know what was Jeff's interest and involvement in aviation? Did he ever work as a pilot?
Don Euton

Post by Don Euton »

Darrell, pilot certification information is public and can be obtained from the FAA web site. Does anyone know if Jeff`s full name is Jeffery Paul Newman?
Don Euton
Donny Hinson

Re: Jeff Newman

Post by Donny Hinson »

Gary Kaye wrote:Anyone know what steel Jeff was playing in the mid 90’s. All I know is it was red and sustained beyond belief. He certainly know how to, pull tone out of a instrument and make it sing!
Thanks
I bet you say that about all the red guitars! 8)

^
Matt Elsen

Post by Matt Elsen »

Didn't Jeff also have a red Thomas guitar at that time?

and the red Zum pictured in this thread:
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtop ... 79971bdb17
Last edited by Matt Elsen on 20 Aug 2022 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Kornacker

info about Jeff N.

Post by Rick Kornacker »

Just chiming in on info regarding Jeff N., my late father in-law. His middle name was indeed Paul, his son is Jeff Paul Newman, Jr. Jeff played the fire out of his red Uni Zumsteel(I have no idea where that guitar is now) for many years, as well as various other guitars, including the Thomas that was mentioned. Jeff had a pilot's license but never worked as a professional pilot, owning only private craft for his own pleasure. In his later years he was more interested in things that had to do with flying...real airplanes and radio-control models. Hope this clears up a few things. Jeff was certainly a "mensch" and quite the person to have had for a father-in-law! We all miss him for many good reasons, I'm sure. Respectfully submitted, RK :)
"think MORE...play LESS"
Don Euton

Post by Don Euton »

According to the FAA Airman Details Report, Jeffery Paul Newman was issued a Commercial Pilot Certificate on 6-12-1984. He had Commercial Pilot ratings for Airplane Single Engine land and Airplane Multiengine Land. He probably had a Private Pilot Certificate before he received his Commercial.
One of my favorites on U Tube is him playing ANOTHER BRIDGE TO BURM on the Opry with Little Jimmy Dickens.

Don Euton
Rick Campbell

Post by Rick Campbell »

Don Euton wrote:According to the FAA Airman Details Report, Jeffery Paul Newman was issued a Commercial Pilot Certificate on 6-12-1984. He had Commercial Pilot ratings for Airplane Single Engine land and Airplane Multiengine Land. He probably had a Private Pilot Certificate before he received his Commercial.
One of my favorites on U Tube is him playing ANOTHER BRIDGE TO BURM on the Opry with Little Jimmy Dickens.

Don Euton
Don,

Do you have a link to Jeff with Jimmy Dickens on Another Bridge To Burn?

RC
Jack Hanson

Post by Jack Hanson »

When Newman did a seminar in the Twin Cities back in the late '70s, he played a rosewood 'mica Emmons D-10 that was detailed with International Harvester tractor markings and striping. The seminar was sponsored by the local Emmons dealer (Clem Schmitz).

Would anyone happen to have a photo of that guitar? It looked pretty sharp.
Tim Harr

Post by Tim Harr »

Carter Steel Guitar
Tim Harr

Mullen G2 D-10 (9p/5k)
Retired, US Army Band (Steel/Dobro/Guitar)
Kemper Profiler / LW 89
John Sluszny

Post by John Sluszny »

Rick Campbell wrote:
Don Euton wrote:According to the FAA Airman Details Report, Jeffery Paul Newman was issued a Commercial Pilot Certificate on 6-12-1984. He had Commercial Pilot ratings for Airplane Single Engine land and Airplane Multiengine Land. He probably had a Private Pilot Certificate before he received his Commercial.

Don Euton
Don,

RC
Rick, is this the link you want ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgrC8OGBKWU
Don Euton

Post by Don Euton »

Rick & John, I lost the link when I switched computers several months ago. If you do a search " Another Bridge to BURN Jimmy Dickins it will be there. It was about 2009 at the grand old Opera. The one I had was not real clear.
Jeff was the Opera`s steel player that night. The band members had white shirts. That was the best I have heard anyone play that song.
Don Euton
Rick Campbell

Post by Rick Campbell »

John Sluszny wrote:
Rick Campbell wrote:

Don Euton
Don,

RC
Rick, is this the link you want ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgrC8OGBKWU
Thanks, but no. That's not Jeff Newman. That's Pee Wee Roger's. It's my favorite cut of Another Bridge To Burn.

RC
J D Sauser

Post by J D Sauser »

IF I remember right, around in the second half of the 90's, he was SEEN playing his Zum, then the Carter (introducing the extra long LKV and the Thomas.
All were RED because he needed them to play FAST! :D

I BELIEVE the Zum had a diagonal yellow inlay some sort and one of them a "Diesel" or something label (for added fun).

... J-D.

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.
Tom Mossburg

Jeff's Guitars

Post by Tom Mossburg »

I took a class from Jeff back in '78. He had a few guitars there he played but the one that caught my eye and ear was an S10 orange Zum. He played the crap out of that guitar. I don't know when he released it but on his "Few Good Friends" album, he used three different steels and didn't say which steel was used on which song. He made them all sound good.
MSA Studio Pro U-12 x 2, Telonics