Sho-bud Custom

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Gary Hamblin

Sho-bud Custom

Post by Gary Hamblin »

I have acquired a Sho-Bud Custom.Can anyone give me any info on the year and if they were pretty good guitars.All the workings on the C6th are pretty much missing.I will probably make a SD10.Thanks
Image Gary
JCH/SD10 ,ZUM,D10 ,Rosewood Emmons Push Pull,T8 Fender Stringmaster.Nashville and Session 400,Walker Stereo Steel,Boss Katana 100 and John Hughey's Vegas 400.Hilton Pro Delay,Telonics Volume Pedal, Steelers Choice Seat,Live Steel Strings.
Ian Worley

Post by Ian Worley »

Yep, it's "Custom". It looks like it actually is a mid-'70s Pro III that someone "customized" with a can of black Rustoleum, some vinyl lettering from the hardware store and some metal trim strips off a '73 Buick. There's probably some really nice birdseye maple hiding under all of that if you wanted to do a refinish. It has the longer body so it's from ~'74-'77. Based on the tear drop knee levers visible in the pic it's probably from the early end of the Pro III production run, '74-'75, with two hole pullers, a really solid system if well maintained. Two raise/single lower changer is really solid too, if it has the two raise/two lower changer those were a different scissor design, less durable over time. You can find the year/month of manufacture by the serial# from this list: https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtop ... 49#1951049.

It's hard to give much feedback from just the one pic, some pics of the underside would help.
All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest - Paul Simon
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

Ian, I was thinking maybe '71 or '72 Buick. Possibly Oldsmobile.

8)

~Lee
Gary Hamblin

Sho-bud

Post by Gary Hamblin »

Thanks for the info.I will post more pictures.
JCH/SD10 ,ZUM,D10 ,Rosewood Emmons Push Pull,T8 Fender Stringmaster.Nashville and Session 400,Walker Stereo Steel,Boss Katana 100 and John Hughey's Vegas 400.Hilton Pro Delay,Telonics Volume Pedal, Steelers Choice Seat,Live Steel Strings.
Gary Hamblin

Sho-bud Pro 111 Custom

Post by Gary Hamblin »

This is what I found after removing the mica.Im excited now.
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

:) :) :)
Ian Worley

Post by Ian Worley »

8) looks better already
All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest - Paul Simon
Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

Gary told me it is the double raise/single lower changer; this is first changer after "barrel tuning single/single"...so I have it pegged in the late '74 to '75 era. Course if Gary will just post the serial number(stamped on endplate underneath the keyhead end) and on wood; but that may be crapped out.
Ricky
Ricky Davis
Email Ricky: sshawaiian2362@gmail.com
Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

Ok Gary just told me the serial number has it at September 1974. Wow...this is one of the very first "The Pro~III Custom" built...yeeehaaa great discovery.
Ricky
Ricky Davis
Jay Jessup

Post by Jay Jessup »

FWIW I bought the very first Pro-III Custom to hit Metro Music in Richmond VA, I think it was sometime in the summer of 74? Same finish as Gary's but it had a round front cabinet so I've always guessed they were using up some cabinets they'd already made as every Pro-III or II steel I saw after that had the square fronts.
Kenny Davis

Post by Kenny Davis »

Ricky Davis wrote:Ok Gary just told me the serial number has it at September 1974. Wow...this is one of the very first "The Pro~III Custom" built...yeeehaaa great discovery.
Ricky
That's good info Ricky - That helps me date when Duane Marrs added my vertical and offered changing to the nylon tuners on my Pro II. You may remember he only modified 4 & 5 to double raise, not all. He said they were just coming out with the new pulling system and suggested it to me. My guitar would have been 1 year old in November of '74.

I know you disliked what he did, but I don't think it affected it in a bad way! :D
Best lyric in a country song: "...One more, Moon..."
Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

Yeah Kenny I love that he did that at that time they decided to go to a nylon tuner and get rid of barrels because he just added a raise hole to the strings that raised twice to do that, so he kept the 6061 aluminum tops best sound shobud ever had, then when they started making a double raise single lower finger, that's when they started using a casted pot metal top.

Hey Jay like Kenny said all that was starting to change at the time they made yours that's why I think you actually may have a round front with extra raise whole added to 4th and 5th strings???? Pro 3 custom as they were still making just regular Pro 3 custom?
Ricky
Ricky Davis
Skip Edwards

Post by Skip Edwards »

Here's a couple pics of the only round front Pro III I've seen. it has the extra raise holes on strings 4 & 5.

Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

Here's a couple pics of the only round front Pro III I've seen. it has the extra raise holes on strings 4 & 5
That's awesome Skip; do you have serial number??
Ricky
Ricky Davis
Skip Edwards

Post by Skip Edwards »

Sure don't. It's not my guitar. Kinda wouldn't mind if it was...
Gary Hamblin

Post by Gary Hamblin »

Image This is the the sticker I found.
Gary Hamblin

Sho-bud Custom

Post by Gary Hamblin »

Should try to fix this damage or just leave it alone?
Gary Hamblin

Sho-bud Custom

Post by Gary Hamblin »

This the finished product.
Brian Herder

Post by Brian Herder »

Just for some more time frame reference, I have a round front Pro ll with the nylon tuners and only a few two hole raises that was completed 6/13/74 and a friend has a square front Pro ll Custom with the same changer situation that was completed in early July 74. Good save on that Pro lll Gary!
Gary Hamblin

Sho-bud

Post by Gary Hamblin »

Thanks Brian.