New 8 string - first build

For people who build steel guitars

Moderator: J D Sauser

Kim Turnbull

New 8 string - first build

Post by Kim Turnbull »

My first guitar build. All the wood is from a stash of off-cuts gathered over the years. Much new learning - now on to the next one! Comments and constructive criticism welcome.

Wayne Brown

steel guitar

Post by Wayne Brown »

now that's cool...i like what you did with the frets
thanks
wayne
Owner Out West Seats,Cases
www.outwestcountry.ca
Samuel Phillippe

Post by Samuel Phillippe »

Very nice, Looks great. How does it sound?
Greg Forsyth

Post by Greg Forsyth »

Well done Kim, I like the copper fretwire as well. Please let us know about your tuning, scale length and also about the key head assembly and kind of PUP you're using.
Kim Turnbull

Post by Kim Turnbull »

Thanks for the comments. Inlaying the 8 gauge copper into the teak fretboard was the first step in the process; picked a 24" scale - matching my pedal steels - based on my abiding respect for Eddy Fulawka. I modified the (Brisco) key head/roller assembly from a 10 string to 8 and used Grover mini's. The pickup is a Lollar Console Grande. Nice tone, good mid-range and sustains forever. Took it to a guitar heavy jam last week with 2 electrics, 3 acoustics and a drummer and it had no problem cutting through with it's own distinctive voice. I strung it with a 12 -36 gauge set to an E diatonic tuning - b e f# g# b c# e g# - mostly because it's what I know but I plan to experiment with other tunings.
John Sims

Post by John Sims »

Beautiful! Awesome build! :D
Regards,

John

Steelin' is a way of life!

1997 Carter U-12 Double Body-Natural Birdseye Maple-8p/5k, Peavey Nashville 1000 Amp, Goodrich L10K Vol. Pedal, Boss DD-3 Delay, Boss CE-5 Chorus, Behringer UMC-204HD Audio Interface, AKAI MPK Mini MK3 Professional Midi Keyboard/Controller, Gretsch Bobtail Resonator, Fender Banjo, Rondo SX Lap Steel (C6), DIY Lap Steel (Open D), a few Mojo Hand Cigar Box Guitars (MojoHandGuitars.com).
b0b

Post by b0b »

Why the roller nut?
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Kim Turnbull

Post by Kim Turnbull »

John Sims wrote:Beautiful! Awesome build! :D
Thanks John.
Kim Turnbull

Post by Kim Turnbull »

b0b wrote:Why the roller nut?
The design motivation was aesthetic - not technical. Chose the key head to somewhat emulate the tuner tray systems like the 50's Stringmaster's and others, and allow for a completely flat underside. I didn't see any downside to using the integrated roller system so kept it. I think it gives the instrument a bit of a pedal steel guitar vibe. Thanks for asking. Kim