Changer Rod clips

For people who build steel guitars

Moderator: J D Sauser

winston

Changer Rod clips

Post by winston »

Where can I find the clips that hold the changer rod to the bellcrank? The 80's ShoBuds had them. They clipped onto the changer rod and had a hole for the end to fit through.
thanks
Ian Worley

Post by Ian Worley »

Those original Sho-Bud carburetor-style clips are like hen's teeth. Michael Yahl sells a different style that does the same thing: https://www.psgparts.com/Clip-Spring-Re ... 20-005.htm
All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest - Paul Simon
winston

Post by winston »

Thanks Ian, I have been looking everywhere for them and cannot find them. winston
Marty Broussard

Post by Marty Broussard »

Winston,
I hope I remember this correctly, but I think David Jackson had 5000 of them made and the guy refused to make more because it was a real pain in the @zz. You could probably search for posts by me asking about them(like you) in Pedal Steel or Want to Buy section and see who responded with that info. I wish we could find someone to make them.
"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Ian Worley wrote:Those original Sho-Bud carburetor-style clips are like hen's teeth. Michael Yahl sells a different style that does the same thing: https://www.psgparts.com/Clip-Spring-Re ... 20-005.htm
I used carburetor linkage clips from an auto parts store when I rebuilt a Sho~Bud Super Pro. I just took some good side cutter and cut off the second the second part with a hole, and a dremel tool works too. Available at pretty much any auto parts store.

Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
winston

Post by winston »

Thanks guys for all the help. Richard, I thought of that last night also. Marty, I will check your posts. thanks again for your help. Winston May
Ian Worley

Post by Ian Worley »

Richard Sinkler wrote:...I used carburetor linkage clips from an auto parts store when I rebuilt a Sho~Bud Super Pro. I just took some good side cutter and cut off the second the second part with a hole, and a dremel tool works too. Available at pretty much any auto parts store...
I have searched at length for off the shelf carburetor-style clips like this that are actually the correct size and will work on the Sho-Bud rods, purchased many samples from various sources, they were all too big or odd in some way. Michael Yahl said he did the same thing. If you have a source for clips that are actually the correct size for the 7/64" rods please post a link or other info to acquire them. I'm sure many here would be interested.
All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest - Paul Simon
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

I got mine at Midway Auto Parts in Hayward Ca. This was like 35 years ago. The clips can be bent to tighten things up. The hole is too big, but with a little bend to hold it tighter against the bellcrank it worked good.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Sonny Jenkins

Post by Sonny Jenkins »

K Maul

Post by K Maul »

I’ve used these push nuts on my Super Pro with good results.Image
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Webb, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.
Ian Worley

Post by Ian Worley »

Nope. Been there, done that.
Chris Lucker

Post by Chris Lucker »

I have these:

Chris Lucker
Red Bellies, Bigsbys and a lot of other guitars.
Bill Ferguson

Post by Bill Ferguson »

Winston, I sent you a PM
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.
winston

Post by winston »

Got it Bill, thanks a lot. winston