David Zettner

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Sonny Jenkins

David Zettner

Post by Sonny Jenkins »

Just thinking of my friend David Zettner this morning,,,and wondering how many of us Texas guys remember David,,,,truly one of the most talented guys I've ever known,,,steel guitar, Bass, guitar, singer, ,,not to mention artist!!! One of Willie's original band members along with Jimmy Day. Unfortunately left us much to soon , I think around 2006 at the age of 61.
Chris Brooks

Post by Chris Brooks »

Sonny, I didn't know David but your post reminded me of another Texas steeler, the late Gary Hogue. I met him in Dallas and he was gracious enough to let me sit in with the band (about 1984).

I owe him one.
Sonny Jenkins

Post by Sonny Jenkins »

Yes I knew Gary. Funny you should mention him,,,back in the 80s I tried to get a steel guitar club started in this area,,,Charlie Norris brought Junior Knight and Gary down for the first show. Later on Jimmy Day and David came down to one of our meetings trying to help. I guess that was the last time I saw David. The club lasted maybe 4-5 months,,,never could really get to going. Tom Brumley was living in Kingsland at the time and offered to come over and help,,,,I declined,,,we were wasting great talent,,,LOL.
Andy Zahnd

Post by Andy Zahnd »

I'm not a Texan, but I remember David very well. In the 90's David was on tour in Europe with Michael Ballew. I remember every concert and all the Jimmy Day licks he played, the fascinating stories by and about Willie Nelson and Jimmy Day, and especially... David was an absolute gentleman with a huge sense of humor! :D
Roy Carroll

Post by Roy Carroll »

Funny you should mention Michael Bellew. He is still around. He and I crossed paths about a year ago and re-united through a mutual friend. He had an issue with his fingering hand and has trouble playing now. Great guy and lots of knowledge.
Just north of the Weird place, south of Georgetown
Sonny Jenkins

Post by Sonny Jenkins »

Yes Andy,,David was all of that,,,more than his share of everything,,talent, personality, humor. Have you seen any of his art work? I wish I'd stayed closer to him,,, friendship wise before his passing.