Stu Schulman

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Larry Allen

Stu Schulman

Post by Larry Allen »

Image Old friend Stu Schulman passed away today..he fell down his basement stairs..prayers to his lady Jennene..Larry Allen
Last edited by Larry Allen on 5 Jul 2022 4:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Excel steels & Peavey amps,Old Chevys & Motorcycles & Women on the Trashy Side
Joe Krumel

Stu

Post by Joe Krumel »

Sorry to hear this. Thinking of all of you.
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

Oh no! Stu was such a dear friend, this really breaks my heart. I can’t tell you how many times I would open my mailbox to find packages from Stu. A great musician too. You will be missed dearly, bud!
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

I got the news from Josh Dubin not more than an hour ago.

This is tragic to me. Stu and I have been the closest of friends... more "brothers in arms" really... for 49 years. A humble man with a god-given talent and a great musical resume. He will be missed profoundly.
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Vincent Nugent

Post by Vincent Nugent »

It's so very sad. He was one of the nicest persons I ever met, an amazing musician, and a very funny guy. At a local jam, he could play guitar, psg, dobro, keyboard.
Stu introduced me to the pedal steel, and I had just started taking lessons with him last year. RIP, my friend.
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

Really awful news! My deepest condolences and prayers to his family and his many friends. Stu was a real mensch, and this forum will seem hollow without his presence.
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

Having a lot of trouble processing this.
Karen Sarkisian

Post by Karen Sarkisian »

I am so sad to hear this. I too have received many gifts from Stu… picks, tone bars, a yankee candle and even an LTD amp. He was a wonderful friend and will truly be missed. :cry:
Emmons PP, Mullen G2 and Discovery
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Such sad news. I never met Stu in person, but we exchanged several emails over the years and he sent me some of his CDs. He was a kind person and a credit to the music/steel guitar world. Rest in Peace, Stu.
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

Looking over some emails from Stu, he had just turned 70 on April 10.

There are so many incredible and funny stories Stu told, I don’t know if it would be cool to repeat them here, so only in person I guess.
Ron Pruter

Post by Ron Pruter »

What a nice guy. He had been through so much. He loved meeting new people and people in general. He loved his Desert Rose Guitars. I'll miss him. RP
Emmons SKH Le Grande, '73 P/J bass, Tick tack bass, Regal high strung, and a Coral Sitar, USA Nashville 112.
Fish

Post by Fish »

This is terribly sad news to hear tonight. What an absolutely wonderful guy he was. My sincere condolences to his family and many friends.
Sonny Jenkins

Post by Sonny Jenkins »

Oh NO!!!! So sudden,,so unexpected,,,so sad,,,,
Bill Bassett

Stu

Post by Bill Bassett »

Irene and I have very fond memories of Stu at the conventions in Mesa. His remarkable comeback from that stroke was inspiring.
Bob Watson

Post by Bob Watson »

I'm sorry to hear this sad news. I have been enjoying Stu's Steel Forum posts and comments for years. His extensive knowledge about steel guitar and all of the great stories that he shared with us will be dearly missed. I would like to express my deepest sympathy to all of his family and friends.
Bruce Heffner

Stu

Post by Bruce Heffner »

How sad. I met him at the SWSGA shows. He was a very kind man and I really enjoyed his Facebook posts.
Bruce from Arizona these days
Price Porter

Stu Schulman

Post by Price Porter »

Fellow forum members.i am so sorry and saddened to hear of Stu's tragic accident. He was such a great guy.when I moved to Austin back in the 70's Stu was the first .musician I met. He was of course playing steel for BW.Stevenson .he let me follow him around to his gigs, gave me steel guitar lessons,and got me job working at Willie's Austin Opry House.he helped form my pathway in music.sure hoped he might get back thru austin and we could jam some more,out at poodies hilltop.were gonna miss you ..
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Just terrible news. I am so sorry to learn of this.
Bryan Daste

Post by Bryan Daste »

This one hit me really hard. Stu was definitely one of the good ones, and I'll miss him! RIP, buddy.
Dave Grafe

Post by Dave Grafe »

Oh my brother, no words...

Jerry Gleason

Post by Jerry Gleason »

I am so sorry to hear about Stu. It's quite a shock, as I had been corresponding with him only a few days ago. Rest in Peace, man.
Steve Alcott

Post by Steve Alcott »

I'm sorry to hear this.
Jack Stanton

Post by Jack Stanton »

Very sad news. He was a lovely guy
Gibson Hartwell

Post by Gibson Hartwell »

This is tragic news. Stu was one of the nicest guys you could ever meet and an awesome musician. I met him at one of the Phoenix steel guitar shows. He was super inquisitive and wanted to know about the music I was into, equipment, etc. He’d say, oh you like that? Then let me introduce you to this guy over here. I felt like I’d walked into a foreign country and met the welcoming mayor or something. Just a great guy!

I told him about some high end tone struggles I was having with a guitar. The next time I saw him (a year later!) he gave me a box with a tone cut switch and pot that he had designed and had made. I still use that thing all the time. Hearing the stories of the packages he’s sent out to people, he must have had a running list in his head of what all these steel players across the country were interested in, and what they might like. A rare, deep generosity.

Condolences to family and all of his long time and more recently met pals. He left a big foot print. I’ll miss you buddy.
rick andrews

Post by rick andrews »

Oh no. RIP my friend.