wiring a humbucker directly to jack,no tone or vol pots

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Steve Hudson

wiring a humbucker directly to jack,no tone or vol pots

Post by Steve Hudson »

so i recently purchased a homemade console lap steel, with a single single coil wiring directly tot he jack, no vol or tone pots which is fine because obviously i use a volume pedal anyway.

Now unfortunately theres a touch more hum from the single coil than id prefer, so i purchased a single soil spaced humbucker hot rails . my question is since the humbucker has three sets of wires, the silver ( ground?)soldered to a black wire, a single green wire, and a soldered together red and white wire .

If im adding this direct to jack, what am i looking at here wiring wise? and what to do with the leftover wires?
Bill A. Moore

Post by Bill A. Moore »

Solder the black to the sleeve, and the green to the tip. Make sure the other two are insulated.
Steve Hudson

Post by Steve Hudson »

Bill A. Moore wrote:Solder the black to the sleeve, and the green to the tip. Make sure the other two are insulated.

going to sound weird but, whats a sleeve or a tip?
Steve Hudson

Post by Steve Hudson »

Bill A. Moore wrote:Solder the black to the sleeve, and the green to the tip. Make sure the other two are insulated.

Heres a pic of the jack as it exists now, , which goes where?

Image [/img]
Steve Hudson

Post by Steve Hudson »

I think i gotcha on this, the inside part is the sleeve( ground) and the outside part if the tip, ( red in the picture,) ill solder the green there then just throw a wire nut and tape off the other wires. right?