Hank Mann passed away in March

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Ronald Goldman

Hank Mann passed away in March

Post by Ronald Goldman »

Hank (Henry Schmoller) Mann, steel player, singer and guitar builder passed in March after a long battle with cancer. He was the leader of the Hula Monsters and most recently Texas House Party. He also played with my band The Hightoppers from 2004 - 2007. We last got together with Hank last November at a festival in Carson - he wasn't in the best of health but still managed to bring the old boisterous Hank to the stage. I have a great gig coming up that I'm sure he would have loved to have played... hope you're listening man!
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

What a shame. I enjoyed some of the Hula Monsters music for a long time. May he RIP.
Ben Elder

Post by Ben Elder »

Terrible news. RIP Hank.
"Gopher, Everett?"
Michael Johnstone

Post by Michael Johnstone »

Wow. Hank was a great guy and he built some of the most interesting lap and console steels I've ever seen. He brought a few over to my house one time and each one was one-of-a-kind. The Swingray was my favorite. RIP
Stan Townsend

Hank Mann

Post by Stan Townsend »

Sorry to hear this sad news. I met Hank at one of the Steel Guitar Jams hosted by Mike Perlowin in Eagle Rock (Los Angeles) around 2005. I was blown away by his mastery of the Hawaiian style non-pedal Stringmaster guitar. Unbelievable! I went out and bought a lap steel as a result, but never got very good. Pedal steel seemed easier to me. He was as good as they get!
Heaven has been waiting for him! Monster player.
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

Hank was a good guy. Sorry to see this news
Steel Guitar Books! Website: www.volkmediabooks.com