What do pedal steelers and helicopter pilots have in common?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bob Womack

What do pedal steelers and helicopter pilots have in common?

Post by Bob Womack »

A. The only thing anchored is the backside. Everything else is furiously working. Not a joke.

Bob
"It is said, 'Go not to the elves for counsel for they will say both no and yes.' "
Frodo Baggins to Gildor Inglorion, The Fellowship of the Ring

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (My Little Website)
Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

I've never flown a chopper but I imagine it's a good parallel. Pedal steel is cheaper if you go easy on the gadgets.
Make sleeping dogs tell the truth!
Homebuilt keyless U12 7x5, Excel keyless U12 8x8, Williams keyless U12 7x8, Telonics rack and 15" cabs
Howard Parker

Post by Howard Parker »

Heard at a gig..

"Like flying a Korean War vintage helicopter!"

hp
Howard Parker

03\' Carter D-10
70\'s Dekley D-10
52\' Fender Custom
Many guitars by Paul Beard
Listowner Resoguit-L
David Ball

Post by David Ball »

I have several friends who flew choppers in Nam. Scariest drivers of cars I've ever ridden with. They all seem to drive as if they were still flying.

Can't even imagine what had must have been like.

Dave
Jeff Garden

Post by Jeff Garden »

I'm a retired helicopter pilot and there are many similarities

both hands and both feet are working all of the time in coordination...the pedal steel may be a bit more difficult as both knees are involved as well!

pedal steel is a bit safer, though, unless you're playing in a really rough club :D
Doug Earnest

Post by Doug Earnest »

The biggest difference is that a helicopter can be tuned.
Dale Foreman

Post by Dale Foreman »

Jeff Garden wrote:I'm a retired helicopter pilot and there are many similarities

both hands and both feet are working all of the time in coordination...the pedal steel may be a bit more difficult as both knees are involved as well!

pedal steel is a bit safer, though, unless you're playing in a really rough club :D
Hovering is like standing on ball!
Rittenberry Prestige(2)
Charlie McDonald

Post by Charlie McDonald »

Doug Earnest wrote:The biggest difference is that a helicopter can be tuned.
:lol:
Those that say don't know; those that know don't say.--Buddy Emmons
manny escobar

Post by manny escobar »

My pedal steel guitar friend Harry Teachman is a retired helicopter pilot. This also reminds me of when Dave Letterman said playing the steel was like piloting a helicopter.
Chris Brooks

Post by Chris Brooks »

Didn't know that about Harry, Manny! Chris
Dave Hopping

Post by Dave Hopping »

A friend let me take the controls of his Piper Cherokee for a few moments once when we were at altitude. While I wasn't comfortable enough (financially, that is!) with it to follow up with actual instruction, I could see some similarities with steel playing in that in both situations there are numerous points of interaction with a mechanical device, and therefore a lot of parameters under one's control.

I've heard of fixed-wing pilots describing the experience as one of "wearing the aircraft", which seems very like playing pedal steel when everything is going right. My question is whether steel-playing helicopter pilots ever feel that degree of calm control when flying. ;-)
Al Evans

Post by Al Evans »

Dave Hopping wrote:My question is whether steel-playing helicopter pilots ever feel that degree of calm control when flying. ;-)
Don’t know whether he plays pedal steel, but…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUT-d_ZmIPY

—Al Evans
2018 MSA Legend, 2018 ZumSteel Encore, 2015 Mullen G2, G&L S-500, G&L ASAT, G&L LB-100, Godin A4 Fretless, Kinscherff High Noon
John Drury

Post by John Drury »

Spent some hours in a Hughes 500 J

I found it to be much easier than playing a pedal steel.
John Drury
NTSGA #3

"Practice cures most tone issues" ~ John Suhr
Larry Ball

Post by Larry Ball »

Being a “Retired Airline Captain” and Steel Player I have to chime in here.

Yes “all pilots” use hands, feet, at different times on the rudder pedals,throttles, yoke etc. However “ A Helicopter” is described as a “Thousand Parts” going in all directions and the “Pilot” is one of them.

Ok Helicopter Pilots now it is your turn.
Mullen SD10, Sho~Bud SD10 LDG, Show-Pro SD10 LDG, Peavey Nashville 112, Telonic's F100 Multi-Taper Super Pro V/P, too many other guitars, amps and effects to mention.
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Jeff Garden's a retired Coastguard helicopter pilot and has executed some pretty hair-raising rescues in hostile environments. He's been good enough to share a few stories with me.

The tough jobs he's done sound like they have a parallel in pedal steel: that's finding yourself on the Opry on TV night and having to play the intro and solo to 'I'll Come Running' in front of millions (especially if you can't play that fast to start with! :) )
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
Malcolm McMaster

Post by Malcolm McMaster »

For me the similarity is that I’m not very good at either.😳😂
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

"What do pedal steelers and helicopter pilots have in common?"

They're both in big trouble if their tail rotor quits!

:P

`
Craig Stock

Post by Craig Stock »

My friend was a Top Gun, and I once asked him what it was like the first time he landed on an aircraft carrier, his response was "Every time is your first time"
Regards, Craig

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days
Henry Matthews

Post by Henry Matthews »

I’m not flying in anything that don’t have wings and has to beat the air into submission so I’ll stick with pedal steel, lol.
Henry Matthews

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.
Brooks Montgomery

Post by Brooks Montgomery »

as an "entry level" player, I've had a few gigs that I felt like I became "the pink mist" (Jeff Garden will know that term--walking into the tail rotor).

I've spent thousands of hours (well hundreds at least) in my past life in helos in 'necky' situations, mostly as a rescue guy, in the back, not flying. Wish I had those hours on the pedal steel. :lol:
A banjo, like a pet monkey, seems like a good idea at first.
Jeff Garden

Post by Jeff Garden »

Brooks Montgomery wrote:as an "entry level" player, I've had a few gigs that I felt like I became "the pink mist" (Jeff Garden will know that term--walking into the tail rotor).

:
We had a guy at NAS Whiting Field who approached a turning Huey on the ramp at night from the 6 o'clock position. Who does that? The T/R cut his helmet completely through. Incredibly after a sewing machine worth of stitches he recovered and continued on active duty - with the callsign Rotorface :)
Brooks Montgomery

Post by Brooks Montgomery »

Jeff Garden wrote:
Brooks Montgomery wrote:as an "entry level" player, I've had a few gigs that I felt like I became "the pink mist" (Jeff Garden will know that term--walking into the tail rotor).

:
We had a guy at NAS Whiting Field who approached a turning Huey on the ramp at night from the 6 o'clock position. Who does that? The T/R cut his helmet completely through. Incredibly after a sewing machine worth of stitches he recovered and continued on active duty - with the callsign Rotorface :)
Ouch. I tackled a few in the field that were headed back there. Thankfully, never saw the mist. With all that racket and high anxiety, it sure can cause some jack-wagonry.
A banjo, like a pet monkey, seems like a good idea at first.
Harry Teachman

Post by Harry Teachman »

Just this afternoon at my eye health appointment, the doctor and I were discussing the amazing flying prowess that CGS pilots exhibit. The weather that these guys have to fly in to effect rescues is mind boggling !!!! Jeff, you have my ultimate respect !!!!!!!

Harry T.
Dennis Lee

Post by Dennis Lee »

I often go into auto rotation on a solo ride!
Jeff Garden

Post by Jeff Garden »

Proud to have served, Harry. Everything was about operating as a crew and we'd all do anything to help each other out to get the job done. Great group of dedicated folks to work with. I did a tour at Air Station Cape Cod down your way in the early 1980's. Very fond memories. The weather out on Georges Bank can kick up pretty good! :)