BL705 Pickup - experiencing distortion and buzzing.

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Matthew Kresge

BL705 Pickup - experiencing distortion and buzzing.

Post by Matthew Kresge »

Just picked up a new custom lefty pedal steel. It came with a BL705 pickup, which seems to get a lot of praise on this site but I am getting a significant amount of distortion/cracking coming through my amp when I pluck more than one string at a time (its particularly pronounced when combining strings 4,5 and 6 in any fashion). I am going completely direct and have used multiple amps to assure its not the amp. I have the same results with each. I've done a search and found a couple older posts/threads from others experiencing this same problem, whom I've reached out to here on a private message but have not heard anything back regarding.

Anybody else have any similar experience with this pickup and if so, what was your solution?
Joel Jackson

Post by Joel Jackson »

Sounds like you're not using a volume pedal. If that's the case, try again using a volume pedal set around 50% volume. Steel pickups are pretty hot and can easily overload the front end of an amp.
Craig A Davidson

Post by Craig A Davidson »

To me it sounds like a grounding issue. Check the ground on the pick-up and check the nut on the jack. See if it's tight. Actually maybe loosen it a little and tighten it back up.
2013 Williams D-10, 2019 Williams D-10, 1970 Fender Twin, Evans SE200, Fender Tonemaster Twin, Hilton pedal, Jagwire Strings.
Matthew Kresge

Post by Matthew Kresge »

Joel Jackson wrote:Sounds like you're not using a volume pedal. If that's the case, try again using a volume pedal set around 50% volume. Steel pickups are pretty hot and can easily overload the front end of an amp.
I'm a newb. Not ready for a volume pedal yet. Still getting comfortable with the basics.
Matthew Kresge

Post by Matthew Kresge »

Craig A Davidson wrote:To me it sounds like a grounding issue. Check the ground on the pick-up and check the nut on the jack. See if it's tight. Actually maybe loosen it a little and tighten it back up.
If it was a grounding issue, wouldn't I hear the same distortion when playing a single string/note? It only happens when I play multiple strings.
Craig A Davidson

Post by Craig A Davidson »

I was going with the crackling description.
2013 Williams D-10, 2019 Williams D-10, 1970 Fender Twin, Evans SE200, Fender Tonemaster Twin, Hilton pedal, Jagwire Strings.
Michael Conway

Bl 705

Post by Michael Conway »

When I had distortion problems with my 705, I was able to fix it by lowering the pickup a little but. I’d also really recommend picking up a volume pedal, even as a beginner. Never too early to start working on VP technique, and it might help with this problem as well.
Matthew Kresge

Re: Bl 705

Post by Matthew Kresge »

Michael Conway wrote:When I had distortion problems with my 705, I was able to fix it by lowering the pickup a little but. I’d also really recommend picking up a volume pedal, even as a beginner. Never too early to start working on VP technique, and it might help with this problem as well.
Yes, lowering the pickup is what I suggested to the maker. It's pretty hot right now. I only have to turn my amp up to 2 when I practice. And I do have a volume pedal. As a newb, figured it was more important to focus on learning the other 3 pedals and knee levers first before worrying about swells...but your advice is obviously valid and appreciated.
Marc Jenkins

Post by Marc Jenkins »

Common practice is to attack the strings with the volume pedal between 1/3 and 1/2 volume only. Try this and report back - I’m guessing the distortion won’t be present set this way.