steelguitars

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

<font size=1> Oh, I dunno... how would you feel if every pedal steel guitar were called a "Sho~Bud"? I know it would irritate more than one Emmons player!
Tim Tyner

Post by Tim Tyner »

Sorry Jim didn't mean to offend anyone,of
course it wouldn't bother me because I
play a Sho-bud Superpro.
Thanks,Tim
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

No offense taken, Tim. I'm just "engaging the subject matter" when I ought to be sleeping (or practicing).

<font size=1>(btw, I played a Super Pro for 25 years!)<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Jim Cohen on 11 June 2002 at 10:02 PM.]</p></FONT>
George Keoki Lake

Post by George Keoki Lake »

I SURRENDER !
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

Personally, I just think of the two branches as electric steel or acoustic steel guitar.
For musicians, it doesn't much matter what you call it. To educate the general public on the other hand, we should endeavor to be as clear as possible. Plain ol' "steel guitar" still works for me as the genral public doesn't care whether it has pedals, no pedals, accelorators, or brakes (though some players could benefit from brakes on their axes). For steel players, lap steel doesn't bother me as a name for all non-pedal models - even multi-necks.
Bob Stone

Post by Bob Stone »

As a person who frequently writes about steel guitars, I must agree that the terminology is a mess.

Jim Cohen, it sure is awkward to use the term "non-pedal" steel guitar. But the average person will start by saying "pedal-steel" because that's the term they know. Hey, why don't they call it a "foot-pedal and knee lever steel guitar?" (What are you doing nosing around here anyhow Jim? You told me you couldn't play lap steel. Have you had a conversion experience?)

I really don't like the term "lap steel," but am resigned to using it because it is generally popular. But do we call a std. guitar a knee guitar? Or a strap guitar? Pretty silly, huh?

But my pet peeve is when any metal National guitar is called a "National steel guitar," regardless of what metal it's made of or whether it's played with a steel, slide or fingers. Ay, chihuahua!

In the Sacred Steel book I will attempt to set straight all this confusion about steel guitars--acoustic and electric. Not that it will have any impact, or even survive the final edit. But at least I will have the satisfaction of having written it.

The very nature of our instrument in all its variations lends itself to confusion. How can we call an instrument played with a plastic, brass or zirconium bar a steel guitar? Personally, I'm with Keoki in calling it a Hawaiian guitar every chance I get. After all, the Hawaiians developed the instrument and technique. But "Hawaiian guitar" gets confused with slack-key.

Face it, the only cure is to airdrop a few million leaflets explaining all this. Of course, to really do the job we'd have to airdrop worldwide. But the US and Canada would be a start.

By the way, the spelling for title of this Forum section is incorrect, IMHO. Correct English (yes, I know it's a pun) is "No Pedalers."

Happy steeling,

Bob

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Bob Stone on 12 June 2002 at 08:44 AM.]</p></FONT><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Bob Stone on 12 June 2002 at 08:59 AM.]</p></FONT>
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

<SMALL>Face it, the only cure is to airdrop a few million leaflets explaining all this. Of course, to really do the job we'd have to airdrop worldwide.</SMALL>
Actually, to really do the job, we'd first have to agree on the terminology!

<font size=1> (And, yes I did tell you I couldn't play "lap steel", but I never said I couldn't play "nonpedal steel". See what kinda trouble all this gets us into?? Image)
Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

When ever John Ely is recorded and credited on the liner notes/musician list.......he has them put "what it is"......
John Ely...Hawaiian Steel Guitar
Joey Ace

Post by Joey Ace »

Don't forget the "Fender Bass".

It's the electric equivelent of a Doghouse Bass.

George Keoki Lake

Post by George Keoki Lake »

Quote from Bob: ...By the way, the spelling for title of this Forum section is incorrect, IMHO. Correct English (yes, I know it's a pun) is "No Pedalers."

Thanks Bob! This has always "bugged" me but I didn't want to be the one to say it. The spelling is definitely incorrect. Perhaps b0b will eventually make the correction. (?)
Rick Aiello

Post by Rick Aiello »

I heard Sol Hoopii called his picks ... TICKLERS
Rick Collins

Post by Rick Collins »

<SMALL>I heard Sol Hoopii called his picks ... TICKLERS </SMALL>
...maybe that's because they served another function for him, as well as putting the strings of his guitar in motion. Image
John P. Phillips

Post by John P. Phillips »

HUH ???

------------------
"Let's go STEEL something"
If it feels good, do it. If it feels COUNTRY, do it twice
jpp

Robert L. Jones

Post by Robert L. Jones »

Rickey, I could live with that. that is what i`ve called them all my life. Memories escape me so bad any more "SENIOR MOMENTS", I bought my 1st Hawiian steel guitar .in 40 or 41, a round hole,for $5.00. Took lessons for awhile. My music teacher wanted to move to north La., open a music store, wanted me to go with him and do the teaching. I`d just turned 18, and agreed to go, but alas PRARL HARBOR, I went down and joined up , Left singing " I`ll be back in a year Little Darling, the old draft song.

jones
Robert L. Jones

Post by Robert L. Jones »

What say mikey, from the big Island, lets pay tribute where tribute belongs , start calling all these acoustic steel`s what they are, "HAWIIAN STEEL GUITARS" dobros, Beards Sheerhorns, Benoits ,Rudy Q. Jones etc
ShoBuds, electrics pedals lap s

I think he`s said enough on this subject
jones
Sage

Post by Sage »

I remember reading somewhere that J.B. liked the term "fixed string" steel. I don't know... would that imply that Pedal guitars are "broken string"? Image
mikey

Post by mikey »

I think just steel...anything else implies something else...with bluegrass, blues and all...so being that it started w/ a regular(Spanish) guitar(with a bad neck, I think) and a steel bar...call it after the Steel Bar
That's the main difference.I usually just say, I'll play steel, or do you want to play some steel or you play steel, I'll play rhythm...
Mike<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by mikey on 17 June 2002 at 12:32 PM.]</p></FONT>