Bobbe Seymour - It's All in the Game

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Andy Volk

Bobbe Seymour - It's All in the Game

Post by Andy Volk »

Can anyone point me to video or audio of Bobbe playing this tune? I recall hearing him do it but haven't found it yet by searching his YouTube videos. Working on this tune now so I'd love to hear his version again. Thanks!
Steel Guitar Books! Website: www.volkmediabooks.com
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

Couldn't find a reference for Seymour but Bill West played it on the CD Slide that was available on the forum store.
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

Thanks,I heard Bill's version on Spotify but it's Bobbe's version I really wanna hear again. In searching the song, it's surprising how many people covered it - everyone from Merle Haggard to Van Morrison to Keith Jarrett.
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

Andy that's true. I tried to find Bobby's version but no luck. I only have a couple tapes and one cd from him and it's not on them. Hope you can find it.
Jim Hoke

Post by Jim Hoke »

Here's my version, from "A Splash of Aqua Velvet", my lounge/exotica album of great pop classics like this one. This song has an interesting origin, if you look it up....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fep_4M1z-o
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

Jim, I really dig your version. Nicely played and arranged!

I was very surprised at its origins - the only number one hit composed by a US Vice President and Nobel winner and played as an encore by Fritz Kreisler. What!?

I arranged it this week for Dobro using G/Em tuning (EBDGBD) so I could get those rich diatonic maj7 and min 7th chords on the low strings.

PS also loved the mashup of Rundgren and the Beach Boys on "Hello Caroline, No It's Me"
Mark Shuda

Mr. Cool

Post by Mark Shuda »

Jim, awesome job! Really dig you expression!
Mark Twang
Jim Hoke

Post by Jim Hoke »

Thanks for the good words, guys - I really appreciate it! I bet those dobro chords sound really big with that 6th down on the bottom. I'll drop my G and mess around with that. I also like the tuning where the E is higher up: (BDEGBD). Sonny Garrish does that. Andy are you gonna play "It's All In The Game" in G?
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

Jim, Cindy Cashdollar also plays that version of G6th with the E in the middle. She uses it for swing stuff like "Panhandle Rag."I arranged "All in the Game" in the key of A in 4/4 instead of the original 6/8.
Here's the first page ...
Jim Hoke

Post by Jim Hoke »

I'll have to get out my round-nose bar for this, with those slants in there. Wow - nice arrangement! Is this recorded?
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

Just finished it yesterday so need to woodshed and record it. You can play em with a rail bar but it is a tad harder. You can always ignore the middle string on those 3-string slants if desired. A little vibrato and downward bar pressure goes a long way.
Jim Hoke

Post by Jim Hoke »

What's the downward bar pressure for?
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

It can help bring a 3-note slant into better tune but it really all depends on your string spacing, scale length, bar diameter and left hand technique.
Jim Hoke

Post by Jim Hoke »

I like that you provide traditional notation along with the tab. It makes it so much easier to suss out the rhythm, etc. Wish that was done more often.