Iconic PSG Sounds

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Tom Spaulding

Iconic PSG Sounds

Post by Tom Spaulding »

Looking for some input for a project...what are your Top 5 most iconic pedal steel guitar sounds, and what pickup was involved in creating that sound?
Justin Emmert

Post by Justin Emmert »

Tough question as the players style normally is a part of the sound. Choice of notes and phrasing usually indicates the player, thus giving a clue as to guitar and pickup. I’ll give it a try, but probably need more context asto what you’re looking for.

1. Franklin with Franklin pickup of course- Paul Franklin
2. MSA with BL705- Travis Toy
3. Emmons PP- single coil Emmons- Mike Johnson
4. BMI- not sure on pickup- Eddie Long
5. Sho Pro- not sure on pickup- Robby Turner
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

My own feeling is that there are four "basic characteristics" in pickups: low impedance, high impedance, single-coils, and humbuckers. Back in the '60s and early '70s, the tendency was more towards lower impedance and single-coil pickups. After that, the tendency seemed to go towards higher impedances and humbuckers. This gave, generally, a fuller, more compressed sound. As far as brands, I think that the vast majority of players could not identify a particular brand by it's sound. While telling a single coil from a humbucker is a little easier, but still beyond the capabilities of most.

But as to the iconic sounds, I really prefer the tones we had in the earlier years. I seem to grow bored very easily listening to the modern and more compressed tones we hear today. All the sounds I really love were from single-coil, lower impedance pickups.
Larry Phleger

Post by Larry Phleger »

Just curious, Donny. What range are you referring to as lower impedance pickups? I also prefer the sound from the earlier years.
Bill Ladd

Post by Bill Ladd »

I’m old school. For me, the Bigsby blade pickup is the most distinctive steel guitar pickup I’ve heard.

Hear it here being driven by Mr. Murphey:

https://youtu.be/kfBdHfg1Gpg
J Fletcher

Post by J Fletcher »

Tom Brumley with his Fender 1000 , Buck Owen's, Close Up the Honky Tonks. Fender single coil pickup .
b0b

Post by b0b »

Iconic sounds (No particular order):
  • Buddy Emmons' P/P
  • Pete Drake's early Sho-Bud
  • Lloyd Green's Sho~Bud LDG
  • Tom Brumley's ZB Custom
  • Bud Isaac's Bigsby
I don't know much about the pickups in those guitars. If you really want to hear all of the iconic steel sounds, listen to Bobby Black's "The Black Brothers at Guitar Haven". He really nailed them. https://youtu.be/GgbEKU1KoKk
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Larry Phleger wrote:Just curious, Donny. What range are you referring to as lower impedance pickups? I also prefer the sound from the earlier years.
Larry, for 10-string pickups, I think the best E9th sounds come from pickups wound in the region of 9k to 12k, and for C6th somewhere in the 12k to 16k region. It seems that things go downhill as values get much above those. Sometime after the '60s, values creeped up to between 18k to 22k, and the clarity suffered.
Tom Spaulding

Post by Tom Spaulding »

This is great, thanks! Please keep adding to it with links to hear them....very informative.
Joel Jackson

Post by Joel Jackson »

I like b0b's list. I'd have to find a way to squeeze Ralph Mooney and his Fender in there too though.
forrest klott

Post by forrest klott »

Tom,

Very cool topic, I’m sure no matter what the final result is, no doubt it will be fantastic.

For me, these are the iconic tones that have influenced me the most with specific examples:

Emmons mid-sixties tone from the Wagon (wrap around guitar) with single coil Stratospheric pickups wound in the 14k ohm region (at least according to a recently posted quote from Buddy on his fans FB page). The Touch my Heart album captured this tone perfectly.

Ralph Mooney’s early work with Buck and Merle along with Brumley’s first session with Buck on the Together Again album using a Fender 1000. I know I’m double dipping here but Tom’s work with Buck on the TV show later on playing his ZB with ZB single coils should not be ignored either.

Any of the records Buddy Charlton cut with ET in the mid-sixties on a Sho-Bud permanent with single coils.

Mooney again, this time on with Waylon on the Waylon Live album from the early 70’s.

Innumerable cuts by Paul Franklin from the mid-nineties through the mid-2000’s and beyond using chrome housing 705 and 710 humbucker pickups.

Thanks,

Skeeter
b0b

Post by b0b »

Yeah, Ralph Mooney's Fender is right up there. I didn't mean to overlook it. :oops:
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Bob Bestor

Post by Bob Bestor »

Mooney with Waylon.
Keep on truckin'
Mike Holder

Post by Mike Holder »

Buddy Emmons-Live in 79 at Scotty's ..or Black or White Albums also.( Emmons )
Mike Smith- Dreams of India CD ( Zum ? )
Hal Rugg- Altered Ego CD ( Franklin ? )
Weldon Myrick- Pointer Sisters " Fairytale" ( Emmons ? )
John Hughey- " Lost in the Feelin" ( JCH ? )
Last edited by Mike Holder on 12 Apr 2022 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marco Schouten

Post by Marco Schouten »

Mike Holder wrote:)
John Hughey- " Lost in the Feelin" ( Emmons? )
JCH
----------------------------------
JCH SD-10 with BL XR-16 pickup, Sho-Bud Volume Pedal, Evidence Audio Lyric HG cables, Quilter Steelaire combo
Marco Schouten

Post by Marco Schouten »

I like B0b's list, but I would add Lloyd's Sho-Bud Baldwin to it. That delicate haunting sound.
----------------------------------
JCH SD-10 with BL XR-16 pickup, Sho-Bud Volume Pedal, Evidence Audio Lyric HG cables, Quilter Steelaire combo
Mike Holder

Post by Mike Holder »

Thanks..fixed it
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

What Bob said. Right on.
Bill Duncan

Post by Bill Duncan »

I believe Pete Drake was iconic sounding in the early to mid-sixties. He did some beautiful steel guitar work on recordings by Jim Reeves and Liz Anderson, and other artists as well. I love the tone he had. I like the 12th fret wagon wheel sound he did on I believe it was the "Mama Spank" song by Liz Anderson.
Craig A Davidson

Post by Craig A Davidson »

Lloyd's lightning bolt fingertip on Live At Panther Hall is a good example.
2013 Williams D-10, 2019 Williams D-10, 1970 Fender Twin, Evans SE200, Fender Tonemaster Twin, Hilton pedal, Jagwire Strings.
Chris Brooks

Post by Chris Brooks »

Curley Chalker; on an MSA. Tone is not muddy or dark but doesn't rip your ears off either.

I "hear" this tone as my ideal in my playing--never reaching it of course.

He even gets a great sound on live TV w/ Wilburns.
Frank Freniere

Post by Frank Freniere »

Whatever Buddy was using on George Strait’s “Pure Country.”
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

Chris Brooks wrote:Curley Chalker; on an MSA. Tone is not muddy or dark but doesn't rip your ears off either.

I "hear" this tone as my ideal in my playing--never reaching it of course.

He even gets a great sound on live TV w/ Wilburns.

We all have different tastes in appreciating tone.. As great as Chalker was, for whatever reason I personally never cared for the tone he got with his MSA guitars.. Of course he didn't need my approval! I just liked that edgy E9 "country twang" I heard on so many recordings... In my case, I guess I wanted my ears "ripped off".
I'm over the hill and hittin'rocks on the way down!

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

Here's my take-

1-Fender.. I loved Brumley's tone on Together Again..
Loved The sound Red Rhodes got on his 800
However the epitome' of great sound on a Fender pedal steel was Pete Kleinow.. simply unmatched.

2- ZB.. to my ears maybe even better than a Fender, but I always like the odd quirks of the Fender cable setup. The pickup /body combination was unique to say the least

Rusty Young on his early recordings, Brumley of course, and Gerry Garcia of all people, just adored the ZB sound.. Those 3 way pickups were wonderful.

3. Sho Bud.. Simply too many to name but Green,Charleton, and Moon in his Waylon days come to mind instantly.. Spectacular sounding guitars, even if I often denigrate them from a mechanical perspective.. The earlier models with the more primitive mechanics sounded better than the later ones, that played and tuned better,,, go figure.

4. Emmons..again more than I can name but Buddy Cage used them through most of the New Riders best days, and i loved his sound, and the man whose name is emblazoned on the front of each one of course... Nothing not to love there.. To me all Emmons guitars sound great, older or more "modern", even the all pull models...

5, Franklin.. Can't say I know much about these guitars, but the guy we all know best that uses one exclusively makes his sound like anything he wants it to sound like.. From really twangy country rock E9, to thick soulful jazz tones to a very commercial and ear pleasing modern sound, or even the "Bakersfield sound" Paul gets it all out of his Franklin.. I know I know, those sounds are in his hands, and in his head, and in his soul, but you know, I bet his guitar would sound pretty good even if a hack artist like myself were to wail out a few chords on it... All I do know is that when most guys get their hands on a Franklin, they don't let them go.. If they DO let one go, guys line up, and open their wallets wide.. gotta be a reason for that.. To me its all about the sound,,,bob
I'm over the hill and hittin'rocks on the way down!

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......