Certano or Duesenberg levers on a Gretsch Lap steel

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Grant Ferstat

Certano or Duesenberg levers on a Gretsch Lap steel

Post by Grant Ferstat »

Hi all.

I'm looking at getting either the Duesenberg Multibender or the Certano Bender (possibly with the roller bridge) for a Gretsch Electromatic Lap Steel.

I was wondering what might be best. The Certano is less massive and looks like an easier install, but a friend of mine who installed one remarked that there is very little break angle on the lever activated strings. He's not experiencing any issues as such but I wonder how the lack of down pressure might impact on tone. From what I can see from pics the Duesenberg system might address this possible issue.

I know the Duesenberg is also expandable to a third lever. I'll probably struggle to get my head around two, but I guess that future proofing could be a plus too.

Anyway. I would really appreciate thoughts from any of you experienced with either system, particularly as fitted to one of the Gretsch Electromatics.
Last edited by Grant Ferstat on 29 Mar 2022 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
https://www.facebook.com/Wayward.Johnson1
www.facebook.com/JaycoBrothersMusic

06 Nocaster Reissue/Grestch Players Edition Jet/Warmoth Tele 12/Teo Octave 12/Gibson J45/Magic Amps Brit MK2/Vox AC4/Lover of Ron Ellis pickups/Far too many pedals.
Carl McLaughlin

Duesenberg

Post by Carl McLaughlin »

I have had and used the Duesenberg and its design breaks strings. There is a home remedy to fix the problem, but for the price you should not have to fix.

If you buy one the fix is to slide 2 string ball ends over the strings to be bent and you will have almost NO string breakage.

My 2 cents worth of good info

Carl :) :)

Keep steelin
Now have a SX 6 string lap in G,.A Tele plus telecaster, Larrivee acoustic.Also have a Fender resonator guitar with new Quarterman cone and spider,and an Allan tailpiece.Playing through a Fender Super Champ XD,using a little delay on the amp and a Harmonix Holy Grail Echo pedal,set on Hall turned to about 1pm.Just got a Fender Dual 6 Stringmaster style. Bought a Yamaha FGX5 Recently and love it.
JB Bobbitt

Post by JB Bobbitt »

I have limited experience with building and playing lap steel (one guitar with Certano benders). The guitar has string-through construction with a relatively sharp break angle over the saddle. There is a significant decrease in sustain and volume on the two strings sent to the benders rather than through the body.

Smart people (George?) have advised me to re-route the other 4 strings (re-design the bridge) to match the break angle to that of the strings going to the benders.

Otherwise, the Certano benders are great, and the install on mine was a breeze. One caution: make sure the string spacing over the PUPs and rollers are compatible. I have a Lollar String-through PUP and the spacing on the Certano roller bridge isn't compatible.

I used a simple stainless steel rod for the saddle. I only play a few hours a week and I haven't really mastered the ergonomics of the benders (i.e., don't use them much, yet). So far, there hasn't been any noticeable sawing of the rod. If it does happen, replacing the rod is a snap.

-jbb

"Time is an enemy"
-Bob Dylan
Gil James

Benders

Post by Gil James »

I had certanos on a Gretsch. Simple installation and sounded great, never broke a string. So good that I wanted more and bought a pedal steel,and now I'm hooked. I sold the benders and still use the Gretsch for c6 stuff.
Grant Ferstat

Post by Grant Ferstat »

Thanks for the responses folks.

I notice that Certano make a Lapsteel model and a lower profile guitar model. I wonder if simply using the lower profile model on a lap steel might cure the break angle issue.

Perhaps an email to Certano to discuss is in order.

Still interested any more wisdom that you folks can offer on the subject of course.

06 Nocaster Reissue/Grestch Players Edition Jet/Warmoth Tele 12/Teo Octave 12/Gibson J45/Magic Amps Brit MK2/Vox AC4/Lover of Ron Ellis pickups/Far too many pedals.
Ted Duross

Post by Ted Duross »

Hi Grant,
I installed the Duesenberg Multibender on a Gretsch about 2 months ago. Relatively painless process. There’s a fellow on YouTube who has a video demonstrating the installation (Duesy on Gretsch). It’s quite detailed. He’s speaking in German as he makes the installation. No CC auto-translation available. But actually it’s not particularly necessary.
As with Carl I added two extra string balls to each bending string. One break so far. Playing about an hour a day. Lots to learn but lots of fun.
As with Gil, my mind’s drifting towards pedal steel.

BTW, Gil, if you don’t mind me asking, did you go double or single neck? I’m looking at possibly purchasing a single neck, E9, from Brisco Steel Guitars. Just wondering where you landed :)
John Drury

Re: Certano or Duesenberg levers on a Gretsch Lap steel

Post by John Drury »

Grant Ferstat wrote:Hi all.

I'm looking at getting either the Duesenberg Multibender or the Certano Bender (possibly with the roller bridge) for a Gretsch Electromatic Lap Steel.

I was wondering what might be best. The Certano is less massive and looks like an easier install, but a friend of mine who installed one remarked that there is very little break angle on the lever activated strings. He's not experiencing any issues as such but I wonder how the lack of down pressure might impact on tone. From what I can see from pics the Duesenberg system might address this possible issue.

I know the Duesenberg is also expandable to a third lever. I'll probably struggle to get my head around two, but I guess that future proofing could be a plus too.

Anyway. I would really appreciate thoughts from any of you experienced with either system, particularly as fitted to one of the Gretsch Electromatics.
Grant,

Never owned a Certano, but heard so much good about them that I modeled my home built benders after them. You can set the lever angle anywhere you want, and position the levers where you want laterally, its a great setup!

As far as a 3rd bender? The top of a six string lap steel is no place for a lever farm in my opinion.

Here is a close up of mine on a steel that I built. I lowered the axle on mine to accomodate the Wilkinson ashtrays bridges.

String gauges are .014 D - .018 A - .028W F# - .038 D - .048 A - .058 D

Scale length is 24 1/4".

Zero string breakage so far. Hope this helps.

John

John Drury
NTSGA #3

"Practice cures most tone issues" ~ John Suhr
Gil James

Benders

Post by Gil James »

Hey Ted, I had trouble with right hand blocking while using the benders. I actually bought a Hudson 6 string e9 to break into pedals. Super fun to play, but soon saw my limitations. Ordered a new GFI Expo S10, and having much fun learning and playing this. I still use my lapsteel for c6,a6 type stuff, which is not much as most of my music is gospel hymns these days.
Apologies for hi-jack.
Jeff Highland

Post by Jeff Highland »

John Drury wrote:

Grant,

Never owned a Certano, but heard so much good about them that I modeled my home built benders after them. You can set the lever angle anywhere you want, and position the levers where you want laterally, its a great setup!

As far as a 3rd bender? The top of a six string lap steel is no place for a lever farm in my opinion.

Here is a close up of mine on a steel that I built. I lowered the axle on mine to accomodate the Wilkinson ashtrays bridges.

Scale length is 24 1/4".

John

Hey John, Nice benders.
With the Wilkinson bridge, the saddles can be turned over to give an un notched face. Just remove and reinstall the height screws.
You do not need the compensated stagger and it is wrong anyhow once you use a wound third.
Duesenberg Fairytale
1949 Supro Supreme
1950 National New Yorker
2008 Highland Baritone Weissenborn
2020 Highland New Yorker.
2020 Highland Mohan Veena
2021 Highland Weissencone
John Drury

Post by John Drury »

Jeff,

Thanks for the kind comment and the saddle info, I will flip them over later on today!

John
John Drury
NTSGA #3

"Practice cures most tone issues" ~ John Suhr
Grant Ferstat

Post by Grant Ferstat »

John Drury wrote:

Grant,

Scale length is 24 1/4".

John

Amazing work!