S12 Uni build project

For people who build steel guitars

Moderator: J D Sauser

Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

Time to update this thread, I think! This could have gone in the Recording section, or Steel Players, but I've put it here because it's mostly about the guitar.

It's about three years since I built my 12-string, but it's taken me until now to get sufficiently organised to record it properly. Here I am playing one of Herb Steiner's excellent tabs. This is only the best of many takes - just see if you like the instrument!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/csz5sivgfpohs ... 1.mp3?dl=0
Make sleeping dogs tell the truth!
Homebuilt keyless U12 7x5, Excel keyless U12 8x8, Williams keyless U12 7x8, Telonics rack and 15" cabs
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

Unfortunately, only those with Dropbox accounts can access the recording. Could you post it on YouTube, please?
Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

Are you sure about that, Alan? Anyone else having problems?

When you click on the link you may be invited to sign in, but you should also see a button that says "no thanks - continue" or something like that.
Make sleeping dogs tell the truth!
Homebuilt keyless U12 7x5, Excel keyless U12 8x8, Williams keyless U12 7x8, Telonics rack and 15" cabs
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

Okay, you're right, Ian. I managed to download the recording and listen to it. :D

You're getting a good sound out of that pedal steel. It sounds excellent. It's an inspiration to anyone who wants to try his hand at building a pedal steel from scratch. 8)
Charlie McDonald

Post by Charlie McDonald »

Having followed the building of the guitar, I'm happy to hear it.
Very impressive sound and playing. A big achievement.
Gary Spaeth

Post by Gary Spaeth »

this is a great course in building and with great results. bookmarked for easy reference.
Tim Toberer

Post by Tim Toberer »

This is definitely an epic thread. The most thorough documentation I have found. It brings the insanely intimidating idea of building a pedal steel into the realm of possibility. There are so many good ideas in here, I don't know where to start. Thanks for reposting this here!!