Gfi identification help

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Arthur Doyle

Gfi identification help

Post by Arthur Doyle »

Hey guys, I'm new to steel and looking to buy my first. There's a guy with what looks to be a gfi, (clovers and horse shoes on the frets board.) He doesn't know anything about it but sent me pictures. He's asking 2500 but he also said he doesn't know what it's worth. Can anyone help me identify the model. Obviously sd10, but is it a student? Whats a fair price? Comes with a seat and volume pedal as well.
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

From the posted photos, it appears to be a 3 pedal, 5 knee lever Expo pro model, considered to be one step down from the Ultra.

The photo of the changer end shows split scissors fingers so it is not a student model.

I'm no expert on GFI guitars, so I'll defer to folks who are such as Jack Stoner et al.

I'd say it's a fair price on today's market if you consider the seat and pedal provided the condition is good and playable.
Ken Pippus

Post by Ken Pippus »

Real early one, from the bellcranks. Predecessor to the Ultra, definitely not a student model. Value tough to determine. Good solid guitar.
Arthur Doyle

Post by Arthur Doyle »

Thanks guys! I'm going to see what he'll do on price.
Jerry Overstreet

I knew others such as Ken would know more about it. I just missed the early style bellcranks and maybe the chronology of the models.

I might be wrong on the number of knees, maybe just 4 instead of 5 on second look.

I don't know if the older model hardware etc. is still supported by GFI, but they are still in business and building guitars.

I'm hoping this is listed by a trustworthy source. If so, maybe make an offer that you feel comfortable with.

The posted price is about tops for the model and fair considering extras, but it all depends on condition of the guitar since we can't see the front and back aprons.....and don't forget about the case.
Ken Pippus

Post by Ken Pippus »

I agree with everything Jerry said. Personal experience is that GFI current hardware will mount right on those cross shafts and work fine. And their service is second to none.

I think the price is high.
Arthur Doyle

Post by Arthur Doyle »

Well he said 1800 with all the extras and he's gonna drive 4 hours to meet me in austin where I'll go directly to Jim Flynn to get in evaluated. Thanks for the info!
Ken Pippus

Post by Ken Pippus »

That sounds like a deal. I liked my dinosaur GFI.
Arthur Doyle

Post by Arthur Doyle »

Awesome! I've literally been looking for one for almost 2 years. Every time one pops up on here I'm too late. Really excited to get started. Thanks again for the help fellas!
Jerry Overstreet

Looks like you have a solid plan. I wish you the best with the guitar and your steel guitar journey.
Jerry Van Hoose

Post by Jerry Van Hoose »

It looks like it has a Barcus Berry pickup, original to early GFI’s
Arthur Doyle

Post by Arthur Doyle »

It is a Baucus berry pickup
Ken Pippus

Post by Ken Pippus »

Now THAT was the one thing I couldn’t stand about my oldtimer. God awful pickup. Relatively easy to switch.
Ken Pippus

Post by Ken Pippus »

Bogus Berry.
David Nugent

Post by David Nugent »

An additional clue that this is an early production model is the split key head, later model GFI guitars feature one piece units.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

The full aluminum frame is very similar to my new (2021) GFI Ultra S-10 with pad. The "economy" Expo model wasn't around when this model was being built.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Jerry Overstreet

As stated earlier, I defer to the more knowledgeable. Ken, Jerry and Jack. Looks like the only thing I was correct about is that it is not a student model.

Apologies for the misinformation in my first post. I had completely forgotten about the build and style of the original style. I remember talking to Gene when the GFI first came out, in his room at the ISGC while he described his design and build.
Brilliant mind and easy to talk to. His legacy with Fender, MCI etc. is very well known in the music world.
Joe Krumel

gfi

Post by Joe Krumel »

looks like a pretty solid guitar. with the extras,you did real well IMHO. Ive owned a gfi for 10/15? years and never maintained it like I should have,and it is like a timex watch. takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'. the cabinet drop on mine is a little much,but just play around it. with a new pickup that thing is going to be a fine pro guitar.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I just happen to have a GFI III pickup for sale, removed from my 3 month old GFI. I installed a Lawrence 710 and if my ears weren't "tuned" to 40 years of Lawrence pickups the GFI III would still be on the guitar.
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=379490
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Joe Krumel

early GFI

Post by Joe Krumel »

Arthur,if you keep it and get it to your liking,hows about posting some photos when you are done? thanks.

Jack is right about the GFI3 pickup, they do sound pretty good IMO.
Ken Pippus

Post by Ken Pippus »

That GFI-3 would fit without trimming the tabs. I’d leap on that and get Jim Flynn to put it on as a starting point.
David Dorwart

Post by David Dorwart »

My understanding is that the GFI 3 pickup is a George L 66 with GFI logo
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

David Dorwart wrote:My understanding is that the GFI 3 pickup is a George L 66 with GFI logo
There is supposed to be a difference, not just a "rebadged" pickup.'

The GFI II is more like an E66 or better a custom E66, as I've read over the years.

The GFI II uses standard steel blades, the GFI III uses stainless steel blades, as I was told by Bob at GFI.

Having owned a GFI with a II pickup and one with a III pickup the III is slightly brighter on high end and has a little more low end.
Arthur Doyle

Post by Arthur Doyle »

Right on guys, I'm very excited about it. I'll definitely post some pictures after we get it up and running.
Arthur Doyle

Post by Arthur Doyle »

Well it seems like it's not going to happen. He keeps changing the price and acting like we didn't already agree on it. And in my opinion that's not how a man with nothing to hide does business. Maybe another 2 years! Thanks for all the help!