Question How To Add Franklin Pedal

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Keenan Friday

Question How To Add Franklin Pedal

Post by Keenan Friday »

I have a question about how the Franklin Pedal is added to basic Emmons Pedal setup (Left of Pedal A) and the pull rods.

If say I want 1st Pedal designated as Franklin pedal does that require moving all the pull rods down each Pedal. And since the pull rods would be shorter I would have to buy more pull rods? I have the change already on my lkv vertical riser knee lever but wanting to move it to the Pedal.

How did yall do it? Did yall encounter any issues with having to buy additional pull rods

thanks
Keenan Friday
Mullen Pre Royal D-10, Walker Stereo Steel, Hilton pedal, George L cables, Livesteel Strings, (White) Fred Kelly thumbpick, Dunlop .025 fingerpicks
John Swain

Post by John Swain »

Since the A pedal has two pulls and the PF pedal has three, you'll need a pull kit w/ a bellcrank, pullrod, tuning nut,spacer and clip.Depending on the manufacturer or you could contact Billy Knowles.
Bill Ferguson

Post by Bill Ferguson »

Also, before you make this change. Try playing on your B-C pedals only (just pretend they are A-B) to see if you will be able to use your left 2 knee levers where they are now or will they have to be moved.

Just food for thought
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.
Bobby D. Jones

Post by Bobby D. Jones »

Mr. Swain and Mr. Ferguson both have good suggestions.

You will need another pedal, pedal bracket, Pedal rod, Cross shaft, At least 3 new pull rods. 3 bell cranks.

Before you jump on this project.

1. What make is the guitar?
Will parts be available?

2. How many pedals was the guitar built to use?

Turn the guitar and over and check, Does the guitar have holes in the front and rear apron area for another cross rod for C pedal.

3. Is there a bracket for the C pedal on the Pedal Board?

Please excuse me for the questions. But if the guitar is not set up for a 4th pedal, It could be very hard to put the 4th pedal on, And more expensive than getting a guitar set up with 4 pedals.

Make of guitar and some under body pictures would help all to see if possible and work needed.

Good Luck on this project and Happy Steelin.
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Since your signature mentions a Mullen Pre Royal Precision, you might want to contact Mullen. That would be my first move. I'm assuming that is the guitar you are talking about.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Bill Ferguson

Post by Bill Ferguson »

Bobby Jones.
He stated that he will be moving the pedals down 1 position, hence why I asked about the knee levers.

On my Emmons, I opted to put the Franklin pedal on the 4th pedal (also works the C neck).
This way I did not have to worry about the knee levers being in the wrong position.
Works great.

If you watch Mike Johnson, he also did the same thing.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.
Keenan Friday

Post by Keenan Friday »

Thanks Forum thanks Bill after more consideration and analyzing copedents with the change. I think I will put the change on the 4th pedal. Considering the work required to make pedal 1 franklin pedal including the working of the knee levers.
Keenan Friday
Mullen Pre Royal D-10, Walker Stereo Steel, Hilton pedal, George L cables, Livesteel Strings, (White) Fred Kelly thumbpick, Dunlop .025 fingerpicks
Bill Ferguson

Post by Bill Ferguson »

Smart move sir.
I actually did away with the 4th pedal changes on C6 as I never used that pedal in my type of C6 playing.
It also makes the pedal easier to press.

So by doing this, you already have 2 rods for the Franklin Change. Same situation as my Emmons.

So I dropped the whole tone 10th lower and opted for just the whole tone lower on strings 5 & 6.

Good luck and let me know if I can be of service.
Keenan Friday

Post by Keenan Friday »

Thanks Bill for the insight. Alot of interesting information there. I'm gonna add it on the 4th pedal and play with it for awhile and see how I like it.
Keenan Friday
Dale Rivard

Post by Dale Rivard »

Another thing to consider when deciding where to place the Franklin pedal is, How are your knee levers setup? If your knee levers are the Emmons setup(that is, 4th & 8th string raises LKL & lowers LKR), the Franklin change generally works better on the 4th pedal when used in conjunction with the 4th & 8th string lowers. For me, when the Franklin pedal is in the 0 or 1st pedal position, it can be a little more difficult when using it in combination with the LKR.
Jim Uhler

S.g.

Post by Jim Uhler »

MIKE " the man " AT MULLEN FIXED ME RIGHT UP ON PEDAL 4; ALSO THE VERTICAL LEVER AT THE RIGHT PRICE ! J. U.
Ron Funk

Post by Ron Funk »

I'm following this topic in relation to converting C6th P4 to become partial Franklin Change on E9th (only lowering 5th and 6th strings one whole tone)

In addition to the above modificiation, has anyone also used C6th P4 to function as the 'opposite of C6th Pedal 6' change?

Thanks -
Ron
Al Evans

Post by Al Evans »

Ron Funk wrote:I'm following this topic in relation to converting C6th P4 to become partial Franklin Change on E9th (only lowering 5th and 6th strings one whole tone)

In addition to the above modificiation, has anyone also used C6th P4 to function as the 'opposite of C6th Pedal 6' change?

Thanks -
Ron
On my Mullen G2, I've put the "opposite of P6" changes on P4, along with the complete Franklin changes (all three strings) for the E9th neck. It works passably well, but I had to adjust the return springs for the Franklin-change strings VERY carefully to make the action reasonably light.

I still need to add a extra pull rod to the 10th string, so that I can still split it with the B lower on the veritcal knee lever. Otherwise, with the splitter screw I can get either Bb or A, but not both.

--Al Evans
2018 MSA Legend, 2018 ZumSteel Encore, 2015 Mullen G2, G&L S-500, G&L ASAT, G&L LB-100, Godin A4 Fretless, Kinscherff High Noon
Ron Forrest

Post by Ron Forrest »

I had the crew at Mullen add the franklin change to my 4th pedal awhile back on my PRP Mullen and its very cool and all but i struggled to find a ton of use for it.

I've since then removed the Franklin change from the 4th pedal, shifted my A,B,and C pedals to the right one position and installed the B to Bb change for 5 & 10 on my first pedal. I find it way more useful and I can split the A pedal with it. I find my self using this change a lot more than than the Franklin change on the 4th pedal.

Shifting the A,B, & C pedals one position to right also feels like i have better alignment vertically with the left knee levers (E's on left) in conjunction with the A B & C pedals.
John Swain

Post by John Swain »

Ron Funk, I have 5+10 lowering a half-step on E9 and 2,6 +10 lower and raise on C6 all on pedal 4 on my Legrande and my Williams. No problems.
John Drury

Post by John Drury »

Ron Forrest wrote:I had the crew at Mullen add the franklin change to my 4th pedal awhile back on my PRP Mullen and its very cool and all but i struggled to find a ton of use for it.

I've since then removed the Franklin change from the 4th pedal, shifted my A,B,and C pedals to the right one position and installed the B to Bb change for 5 & 10 on my first pedal. I find it way more useful and I can split the A pedal with it. I find my self using this change a lot more than than the Franklin change on the 4th pedal.

Shifting the A,B, & C pedals one position to right also feels like i have better alignment vertically with the left knee levers (E's on left) in conjunction with the A B & C pedals.
I found the same to be true with my Mullen Discovery, I added a zero pedal and it made my levers much more accessible!
John Drury
NTSGA #3

"Practice cures most tone issues" ~ John Suhr