Fender Steel King / Telonics Speaker……

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

David Hartley

Fender Steel King / Telonics Speaker……

Post by David Hartley »

Hi all.
Has anyone changed the stock speaker for a Telonics?
What’s it like?
Dave Diehl

Post by Dave Diehl »

Not a Telonics Dave but I put a JBL D130 in mine and it sounded much better than the stock.
Ken Pippus

Post by Ken Pippus »

Your back will thank you.
Patrick Huey

Re: Fender Steel King / Telonics Speaker……

Post by Patrick Huey »

David Hartley wrote:Hi all.
What’s it like?
Mine has the stock 15” “Fender” labeled speaker made by Emminence. They had a couple different ones they used, David, which do you have? A bit heavy but it sounds great and I use it for acoustic, steel, and when I want to “chug” a little Metallica at 2AM and not roll the wife and kids off their beds by plugging into my Randall stack, I run a tube screamer and HM-2 into the Steel King and get great results. Very versatile amp.
Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!
Kevin Mincke

Post by Kevin Mincke »

Here's the original in my Steel King:
Last edited by Kevin Mincke on 20 Mar 2022 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
David Hartley

Post by David Hartley »

Hi.
Got the telonics fitted today.
Trying it next weekend.
Mark Dunn said I should break it in….!
Yeh! With a rock and roll band I think it will be broken in in a few minutes…
😎
Dale Foreman

Steel King

Post by Dale Foreman »

I heard one with a Black Widow in it at the Dallas show and it really sounded good! As a matter of fact, my buddy Joe Rogers bought it!
Rittenberry Prestige(2)
Angus Smith

Post by Angus Smith »

What’s it like?
Hi Dave I had the Telonics in my Twin custom 65 but chnaged it to the Travis Toy 15.
To me this sounded better
forrest klott

Post by forrest klott »

Would you guys mind sharing your Steel King settings please? I realize that it’s all subjective to the room and player, but I like to use other people’s settings as a starting point. I recently got a Steel King that I’ll be putting a TT15:into.

Thanks!

Skeeter
Dave Grafe

Post by Dave Grafe »

forrest klott wrote:Would you guys mind sharing your Steel King settings please? I realize that it’s all subjective to the room and player, but I like to use other people’s settings as a starting point. I recently got a Steel King that I’ll be putting a TT15:into.

Thanks!

Skeeter
My opening gambit with Fender tube amps is as such:

Volume - start at 3, best not more than 6 for pedal steel

Treble - start at 4, no good can come of setting it much higher if you have decent speakers. JBL's matter.

Middle - start at 7 when present, which is approximately equivalent to midrange of the classic two-knob Fender tone stack. This is the meat of the matter, turning it down produces thinner highs, pushing it higher a distinctive honky sound.

Bass - start at 6 (start at 3 for a Super Reverb) and reduce bass for clarity rather than increasing treble. If you want a dirty, overdriven sound turn the bass up, otherwise use the bass to take out muddiness rather than turning up the treble.

Remember you are more likely to achieve a balanced tone by REDUCING the problem frequencies rather than increasing the ovscured ones.

YMMV, best of luck
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

What’s it like?

Interesting responses to David's questions regarding a Telonics speaker in a Fender Steel King!

:o
Dave Grafe

Post by Dave Grafe »

Lee Baucum wrote:
What’s it like?

Interesting responses to David's questions regarding a Telonics speaker in a Fender Steel King!

:o
That's why it's called a thread 😎
Daniel Vorp

Post by Daniel Vorp »

Yes I installed a Telonics TSNEO-15-4 speaker in my Fender Steel King and I love it. Big weight difference which is great but the real payoff is the enhanced string separation especially at the bottom end and enhanced clarity of all the strings. Speaker seems to handle all the volume you throw at it with ease.
MSA Legend SD10, ZumSteel SD-10, Telonics X10 pickups, Hilton volume pedals, Fender Steel King with TSNEO-15-4, Evans FET 500 LV with TSNEO-15-4, (2) Webb speaker cabinets loaded with 4 OHM JBL K-130s