Re tone difference on between Ricky 1935 and 1938 B1's

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

George Rout

Re tone difference on between Ricky 1935 and 1938 B1's

Post by George Rout »

A non-computer friend in Nova Scotia has the above Ricky B1's. According to him, his 1935 Ricky has a greater treble sound, whereas the 1938 model has a noticeably more base sound. Can any folks comment on this please? Thank you.

Geo
http://georgerout.com

"I play in the A Major tuning. It's fun to learn and so easy to play. It's as old as the hills....like me"
Glenn Wilde

Post by Glenn Wilde »

Not sure if you mean B6, are we talking Bakelite's? If so, that makes perfect sense as the earlier one has no tone control so it would be wide open. Tone control capacitors have an affect even when turned all the way up.
Jeff Highland

Post by Jeff Highland »

Or the early one may have been rewired. to a "modern" wiring configuration rather than the 100k pot variable loading scheme.
Duesenberg Fairytale
1949 Supro Supreme
1950 National New Yorker
2008 Highland Baritone Weissenborn
2020 Highland New Yorker.
2020 Highland Mohan Veena
2021 Highland Weissencone
John Dahms

Post by John Dahms »

In my opinion, my 2 1935 B6 Rics are a little brighter than my later ones with 2 pots that load the signal a little more. That's ok since I always play through amps that have tone controls.
Remember Fender Stratocasters have the lead pickup wired bypassing the tone pots to add brightness as well.
Time flies like an eagle
Fruit flies like a banana.
George Rout

Post by George Rout »

Hello Glen and Jeff and thank you both kindly for the response. And yes, I meant B6 (I have one myself).
Geo

"I play in the A Major tuning. It's fun to learn and so easy to play. It's as old as the hills....like me"
George Rout

Post by George Rout »

Thank you also John, I'll pass that data along to my buddy.

Geo

Jeff Highland

Post by Jeff Highland »

I'd say the main thing to take away from this, is that if he is dissatisfied with either one, there are fairly easy and reversable rewiring options to move the tone in one direction or the other.
Duesenberg Fairytale
1949 Supro Supreme
1950 National New Yorker
2008 Highland Baritone Weissenborn
2020 Highland New Yorker.
2020 Highland Mohan Veena
2021 Highland Weissencone
David Ball

Post by David Ball »

They weren't bakelites, but I had several model 59s from the same era at the same time. They were identical in terms of wiring, etc, but had completely different sounds. From these and other Ricks I've had over the years, I think there's quite a bit of difference in pickups from one to the next--maybe tightness of windings, maybe one has lost a little more magnetism than the other. Maybe a combination of factors...

Dave
Noah Miller

Post by Noah Miller »

The magnets in these pickups tend to weaken over time, and the coils rarely have exactly the same numbers of turns. Two B6 pickups assembled on the same day in 1936 may not have sounded identical then, and they may have drifted apart over time as the magnets aged. And yes, the wiring also plays a part.

That's not to say that no trends exist - just that you'll need more than two samples to demonstrate one.