GFI U-12 Troubleshooting Help?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Mike Friedman

GFI U-12 Troubleshooting Help?

Post by Mike Friedman »

Good morning all,

Hoping someone can help me help a friend with his GFI U-12...

The short story is that his C pedal will only get the E up to an F when the end tuner is fully cranked. The longer story is that he finally changed his strings for the first time in forever and it was working before he did that. I am going over this evening to take a look at it, however I'm not real familiar with the GFI changer (I'm a Sho-Bud guy). He sent me some pictures and I visited the GFI site and read through some of the support stuff to get a better idea of how that one works. Doesn't look a whole lot different that ones I've seen before, so I'm hoping I'm mechanically inclined enough to run down what's going on, but if anyone here has any advice on what to look for, I am wide open for suggestions.

I will post the pics if I can get them to work, but they are in some weird format...

Any and all help is much appreciated.

Thanks all!
Last edited by Mike Friedman on 17 Mar 2022 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
"All right ramblers...let's get ramblin'"
Mike Friedman

pics

Post by Mike Friedman »

Here is the style changer he has, in case that helps:

Sorry, not the best pics.

Thanks again.
Jim Palenscar

Post by Jim Palenscar »

If it stopped working properly after he changed strings it is likely he either got a couple out of order or has changed gauges.
Mike Friedman

Post by Mike Friedman »

Jim,

He did tell me that he initially put the wrong gauge string on, but took it off and replaced it with the correct gauge. Would that mess it up and if so, how best to remedy?

Thanks!
J D Sauser

Post by J D Sauser »

I've never worked on a GFI but seen some and they are mechanically very straight forward and sound built instruments. The changer is a pretty standard All Pull.
I doubt the problem is the changer.

The B-to-C# rod MAY have slipped out at the bell crank.

But my first suspicion would be that he might have over tuned the pull when he realized she didn't pull up to tune after he replaced that string with a wrong gauge one and that now the nylon hex tuner is turned so far in, that without the pedal engaged, the raise scissor is already pulled "raise" and there is no more to go.

... J-D.

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.
Mike Friedman

Post by Mike Friedman »

Thanks JD,

My initial suspicion was also the rod may have slipped out at the bell crank, so I was going to check that.

I also may double-check his string gauges one more time just to make sure.

Thanks again!
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I have a GFI.

The GFI rods are locked in place with an allen set screw. Not likely to be a problem.

Since it was OK until strings were changed more likely "overtuning". Start by backing off both of the nylon tuners for the C pedal F# raise and knee lever F raise. Then tune the open E and finally adjust for the F# raise and F raise.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Mike Friedman

Post by Mike Friedman »

Jack,

Will do! Thanks so much!
Mike Vallandigham

Post by Mike Vallandigham »

Surely she's all bound up.

Verify the string is correct, slack off the nylon nut all the way and retune.
Bobby D. Jones

Post by Bobby D. Jones »

In a standard U12 string set.

The 4th string is .014 diameter. The pull rod goes in the Changer finger 2nd raise hole (middle), And the 4th hole from the cross rod in the bell crank.

The 5th string is .017 diameter. The pull rod goes in the Changer finger 2nd raise hole (middle), And the 4th hole from the cross rod in the bell crank.

Another thing to check is. If someone removed the nylon/plastic Tuning nut off the rod!!!! There is a 1/4" (.250) plastic spacer on the shaft. It will sometimes stick to the nut, And when someone removes the nut it will stick to the nut and come off the shaft. It will sometimes fall down in the changer window, May be on the floor. THE HUNT IS ON.

Another thing to check is the set screw in the Brass ferrule, If there is a lot of slack in the rod. The factory set screws have a near center punch point on the screw. Most hardware store have a little dimple in them and don't hold as well.

Good Luck and get your friend back Happy Steelin.
Bobby D. Jones

Post by Bobby D. Jones »

Sorry, I checked the Changer holes and Bell crank holes on one of my GFI S12 U ULTRA's. I did not just pull rod holes out of the air. I have 2 GFI S12 U Ultra's, 1 with key head and 1 keyless, I play and work on. bj
Jerry Erickson

Post by Jerry Erickson »

I would back off the lower tuning nut as well.
Mike Friedman

Post by Mike Friedman »

I wanted to thank you all for the help and give you an update on the resolution.

I didn't end up needing to go over there yesterday. After reading several of your replies, I texted my friend the suggestion of loosening the E string, stepping on the pedal then backing off the nylon tuner, before bringing the E back up to pitch and trying to re-tune the pull. He told me that he was currently on the phone with GFI who was telling him to try the same thing. So he did, and strangely that didn't work. So he called GFI back and as he was trying it again while on the phone, he felt something "pop" and the pedal released "in a strange way." He then realized that it was now pulling about 2 whole steps. Turns out that the reason he had decided to finally change all his strings was because he had broken the E string and apparently what happened was that the ball end of that string didn't just shoot off into the ether, it somehow managed to jam itself in the changer somewhere where it was't easily noticeable. So while he was messing around with it, the ball end popped out and everything went back to functioning normally, once he returned the pull to 1 full step.

That's a pretty weird one, so I wanted to share it with you all and thank you once again for the help.

Thanks again!
Bobby D. Jones

Post by Bobby D. Jones »

Now the rest of the story.
A good learning experience for your friend.
No. 1 rule, When a string breaks, Recover ball end before replacing string.
Mike Friedman

Post by Mike Friedman »

Bobby,

No doubt!!! The Conservation of Mass theory tells us that matter can neither be created nor destroyed. That ball end went somewhere. FIND IT!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks again all!