Quality Backing Track Playback?

Studio and home recording topics

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Lefty Schrage

Quality Backing Track Playback?

Post by Lefty Schrage »

As I begin to use backing tracks for accompanying live steel guitar in church and other small venues, I have been wondering what's best to use for quality playback. To those of you who are doing this or something similar, what amplification system do you use that makes your tracks sound great?
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

In church, if they have a sound system, plug the TRACKS player into that. But it will require some co-ordination between you and whoever pushes the PLAY button.

Outside of church perhaps the most common method is a small PA or powered PA speakers where you can plug in your MUSIC PLAYER directly and run it from your seat.

However, there are no rules, you can run the tracks thru your STEEL AMP but you may not like it, especially if its a single channel amp.

These days , POWERED Speakers seem to be the call of the day. I bought a used one from GC for less than $100 several years back, I think its 200 watts rated. I never got around to buying a 2nd one. For a room or outside venue, two would be preferred.

Have fun!
Emmons L-II , Fender Telecasters, B-Benders
Pro Tools 8 and Pro Tools 12
jobless- but not homeless- now retired 8 years

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Lefty Schrage

Post by Lefty Schrage »

Thanks for taking the time to respond Tony! I find your thoughts very helpful. I may opt for a small powered speaker.
...lefty
Edward Dixon

Post by Edward Dixon »

I sometimes use my Spark amp and an iPad. I guess any Bluetooth speaker would work as well.
"Faith don't need no second opinion."
Lefty Schrage

Post by Lefty Schrage »

Thanks Ed. I don't know much about a Spark amp but may look into it as a possibility.
Brad Richard

Post by Brad Richard »

For years I played my backing tracks through a nice EV set up, but had to sell it during the 2008 debacle. Today I would definitely go the powered speaker route. Less equipment to tote around.

I don't know this for a fact, but have heard that you get better sound out of your backing tracks using a cord instead of BT. I've done both and haven't noticed any difference, but if it was run through a larger PA, maybe....?

I also use an app on my phone for a music player. That way I can control the "play" button.