Dobro ????

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Lyle Bradford

Dobro ????

Post by Lyle Bradford »

I have an 82 model Dobro, I just traded for, and it needs the top of it buffed out to make it shine and get rid of a few scratches. It is black: could someone give me some advice on doing this. Thanks.
Robert L. Jones

Post by Robert L. Jones »

Believe it or not, the best thing is the product you use on a car when you paint it, to smooth the paint. The grit in it is so fine it will put a nice soft glow to your instrument. "COMPOUND" . I know a guitar builder that uses for the final coat. Try a small spot on the back. wipe iy clean ,see if you like it

jonesgtrmn+
mikey

Post by mikey »

Meguiars Mirror Glaze Compound #2 is cleaner,#9 is swirl remover, #7 is glaze for final buffing and all can be hand applied in a circular motion...BUT!!!!...if there is finish checking...live with it or you'll LOSE your finish....good luck,
Mike
Stephen Gambrell

Post by Stephen Gambrell »

Yeah, I use #7 for my regular guitar polish. Works real good, just calls for a little elbow grease.
Robert L. Jones

Post by Robert L. Jones »

Hey Mike, from hawiia, Do they still play a lot of the old style Hawiian steel guitars there, or have they gonr Electric, for the most part
mikey

Post by mikey »

Well Robert,
To WORK, you've gotta play electric(I have Rick Davis' old Fender triple for that, Hey Ricky!!!!)...but to PLAY, or Duets and beach fun, I play Acoustic,but I think there is only like 2 of us that I know that play acoustic in C6....Altho my Weissenborn is tuned low bass G so it's easier to play w/ a slack key Spanish style player..so, yes, they have "gone electric"!!!!!!!and everyone else is playing slack key...acoustic, even here steeler's are a dying breed....
Mike