Seriously need help -- falling finger picks

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Tom Quinn

Seriously need help -- falling finger picks

Post by Tom Quinn »

I'm having a heck of a time with my picks. The edge of one pick catches the edge of the other and flicks it off. I got my first steel in 1973 and never had this problem before. They are the same set of vintage Nationals I've always used, bent the way Jeff showed us at class in 1977. But now that I've come back to playing, I cannot keep the darn things on. Pictured are some "1941s" which are the same thing as the old Nationals.

Any advice, humor or vague insults welcomed...

I need an Emmons!
Shorty Smith

Finger picks

Post by Shorty Smith »

Use some fiddle bow rosin on the fingers, helps me, Shorty
Bobby Hearn

Post by Bobby Hearn »

The bends at the corners on bottom of band need to be more rounded.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

And you're wearing your thumb pick too far back on your thumb.
Erv
James Sission

Post by James Sission »

Erv Niehaus wrote:And you're wearing your thumb pick too far back on your thumb.
Erv
That's how Paul Franklin wears his thumb pick. Better break that habit quick or you'll end up playing like him.

____
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

It's probably not the picks or how they're shaped, I suspect that you're probably holding your fingers too close together. Try maintaining a slight space, about 1/8"-1/4", between your fingers as you pick.
Tom Keller

Post by Tom Keller »

an old trick that banjo players and Dobro players used years ago was to wet their fingertips with saliva before they put the picks on.
Dave Hopping

Post by Dave Hopping »

Ron Landis' fingerpicks don't fall off; the inside surface is roughened like diamond-plate-- he has a name for it that I can't remember right now, but it works.

I got a couple sets. They're sterling silver and pretty pricey, but absolutely positively worth it! ;-)
Carl Williams

Death Grip

Post by Carl Williams »

I’m with Dave on the Landis “Death Grip” picks. A little pricey but well worth the money. I have a complete set: Thumbpick and Fingerpicks. Been pickin’ since ‘74 and these are the best I’ve had. IMHO of course 👍
Rick Campbell

Post by Rick Campbell »

Tom Keller wrote:an old trick that banjo players and Dobro players used years ago was to wet their fingertips with saliva before they put the picks on.
Does it have to be your own saliva, or can you have someone else lick them? :)

RC
Joseph Carlson

Post by Joseph Carlson »

I had a similar issue where my picks would sometimes click together when I was playing.

I got a set of these and haven't had any issues since
https://www.perfecttouchpicks.com/
Kenny Davis

Re: Seriously need help -- falling finger picks

Post by Kenny Davis »

"Any advice, humor or vague insults welcomed..."

Here you go - I've used Nationals for many years. If you will form those bands (with the small holes) to fit your fingers tightly, you shouldn't have to worry about all the remedies you'll hear about. :D

I've never had to lick, glue, tape, shim or anything to keep picks on. Maybe if you tighten until you lose the feeling, then loosen until the feeling returns???

If your picks are coming together,maybe put a small piece of foam between them?
Last edited by Kenny Davis on 3 Mar 2022 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Best lyric in a country song: "...One more, Moon..."
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

I like the thin gauge Dunlops.
They are easier to shape to your fingers. :D
Erv
Bobby Hearn

Post by Bobby Hearn »

Have you considered having your finger tips removed and then sewn back on upside down and growing the nails accordingly?
Ray Mangrum

Finger Picks

Post by Ray Mangrum »

I agree that, it looks like you might want to tighten the outside band by bending it into the finger slightly. and; NO JOKE, I use white out on the inside of my picks. Gives them a some what rough surface without hurting you fingers. As the saying goes, mileage may vary!!
Bobby D. Jones

Post by Bobby D. Jones »

I know where you are coming from. I use Classic 1941 picks.
My right hand has lived a rough life, Especially my RMF.
I have to file and polish all rough edges inside and out before fitting. I then form the Classic 41's around a 3/8" drill shank, With a small hammer, Very careful without any sharp bends in the holes of the wrappers.

I use a piece of leather to pad the pick point and small vice-grips to hold the pick so I can form the wrappers very smooth to a perfect oval that fits my fingers perfect.

The 2 picks on the right are my formed set.

The set in the middle are JF Newman diamond hole picks, Given to me, I am afraid to try to rework them.
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

Erv Niehaus wrote:And you're wearing your thumb pick too far back on your thumb.
Erv
Incorrect, Erv. As well as Paul F. Jr., Jernigan wears his thumb pick lower as well. Much easier for fast playing.

When you consider the base of the thumb as being the fulcrum of the lever (thumb), the closer the pick is to the fulcrum shortens the distance needed to achieve the desired results. Shorter distance equals less travel, which equals faster results.

Same thing as speeding up the action on a pedal pull by changing the rod position on either the bellcrank or the changer finger closer to the axle or crossbar.
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Herb,
To bad nobody told Buddy Emmons.
He wore his thumb pick way out on the end. :whoa:
Erv
Carl Williams

Post by Carl Williams »

Erv,
We don’t know nothin’ about this “sheenry”😉👍
Steve Cattermole

Post by Steve Cattermole »

Not sure about your picks hitting each other, but as far as slipping off,try some liquid Rossin on the inside of your picks and let dry. You might have to get a tool to pry them off
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

Catt, are you referring to liquid rosin that's used for hurdy-gurdies? I'm having a problem with my index fingerpick flying off in the heat of battle.
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
James Sission

Post by James Sission »

Erv Niehaus wrote:Herb,
To bad nobody told Buddy Emmons.
He wore his thumb pick way out on the end. :whoa:
Erv
Like this ?

Paul

Doug

Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

It looks like Buddy pretty much has his pick on the end of his thumb.
There are other pictures of Buddy with his pick waaaaaaaaay out on the end of his finger. :whoa:
Erv
James Sission

Post by James Sission »

Paul has a really good video on picks, including using flat picks. But he basically surmises that each player has to decide what works for himself. Same philosophy with blocking.
Marco Schouten

Post by Marco Schouten »

James Sission wrote:Paul has a really good video on picks, including using flat picks. But he basically surmises that each player has to decide what works for himself. Same philosophy with blocking.
True, but I believe that one should start out with the "standard" way. Later on it is time to see if different ways work better, but not when starting.
----------------------------------
JCH SD-10 with BL XR-16 pickup, Sho-Bud Volume Pedal, Evidence Audio Lyric HG cables, Quilter Steelaire combo