D2F Material

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Steve Schmidt

D2F Material

Post by Steve Schmidt »

I am looking to purchase some of the same material that was used on the D2F amp covers that Tom Palmer used. Any ideas? I would like to experiment with making my own covers.

steve
Bill Ferguson

Post by Bill Ferguson »

Dave Beaty bought out D2f.

So you might contact him at Telonics to see if he will reveal the source.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.
Steve Schmidt

Post by Steve Schmidt »

I thought that too Bill, so I contacted them and the D2F company was purchased by a company called Commercial Fabric Manufacturing in Seattle
Bill Ferguson

Post by Bill Ferguson »

HMM.

Heck, maybe Dave owns that company also. I know that when Tom passed, Dave began making his own covers.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.
Ken Metcalf

Post by Ken Metcalf »

This company makes similar quality as D2F.
https://www.tukicovers.com/
https://sanantoniosteelguitarassoc.com/
MSA 12 String E9th/B6th Universal
Little Walter PF-89.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I've had both D2F and Tuki amp covers. The Tuki covers have a little thicker padding.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Steve Schmidt

Post by Steve Schmidt »

I wasn't looking for "who makes the best covers. I know about the many folks that are already making covers. I was simply asking if anyone know what they called the stuff that the covers are made of as I'd like to buy some, not to get into the business, just for my personal amps.
Doug Earnest

Post by Doug Earnest »

Cordura is a brand name of a similar material as Tom used, if you were to start Googling that it might get you there.

One rating of that type of material is denier, the greater denier number is higher weight I'm fairly certain. That's about all the helpful hint I can give you. You might have a local upholsterer that can point you in the right direction.
Walter Killam

I'm using Coroplast

Post by Walter Killam »

Hey Y'all,

I recently started making my own cases and covers out of Coroplast (material used for roadside signs). I have used 3M double sided automotive tape and Chicago screws for connections. These cases are remarkably sturdy and durable and are very light. My wife has been kind enough to make me transferable labels and graphics using her Crikut for a personalized touch. FWIW you might want to try making your own, the materials are widely available through Michaels, hardware stores and Amazon. I'll post pics if anyone wants to see.
Mostly junque with a few knick-knacks that I really can't do without!
John Swain

Post by John Swain »

Walter, that looks like a great product, I hadn't thought of it. I've been building cases out of Lowe's 1/2 finished plywood. 9 ply and lined on one side.
Pete Bailey

Post by Pete Bailey »

I found this on Tom Palmer's D2F history page when it was still up and saved it. The material for the D2F covers is described by Tom as:
A Polyester Vinyl Canvas which was bonded to a quarter inch of foam padding with a nylon tricot interior.
Don Poland

Post by Don Poland »