Newbie steel player with a lot of string questions

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

John Chadwick

Post by John Chadwick »

Hi all,

Please excuse my long-windedness, and anything I might say that sounds ignorant.

Two years ago, after many years of playing standard guitar, I was gifted with a six-string Gretsch electromatic lap steel G5700. I have not looked back. I am now a committed steeler, and have a square-neck resonator too.

During the first year of playing the Gretsch, due to my naïveté and excitement, I played in 3 tunings with the same strings that came on the instrument, switching back and forth all the time with no problems. These tunings were: C6, High G (GBDGBD,) and Open D.

I know this goes against accepted wisdom, but I have to say they all sounded pretty good to me, and I never broke a string. So my first question: Would anyone know what gauge or type of strings the instrument might have been shipped with?

It was not until I decided it was time to buy new strings that I learned that lap steel strings are designed for specific tunings. I decided I would go with strings designed for High G and purchased a set of GHS gauged as follows: 58-50-40-26-18-16.

After putting them on, I am sorry to say, the instrument sounded inferior. No disrespect intended to GHS. I am sure they are a fine company, but the difference was significant, at least to my ears. Not as bright. Kind of shallow and dull. So my second question is: Would anyone know why that is? Is this lap steel not meant for that particularly tuning or strings? I read an online review of the G5700 that described it as a “C6 instrument,” but that comment didn’t make sense to me.

Since then, I have been playing in Open D, which sounds better than high G, but the strings seem very slack. My third question: is that slackness okay? I like the versatility of Open D in getting blues and country sounds. Is there a recommended gauge or brand that you think might be better?

Finally, I would like to try playing in C6 again. It’s a beautiful tuning, though as a newbie I was not quite ready for the challenge. Still, I would like to have the option of tuning back down to the familiar territory of Open D. Does putting on a set of c6 strings mean you can’t play in Open D? And if not, how was I able to do so on that first set of strings?

Please do not respond by saying “get a second lap steel.”

I sincerely thank you for allowing me to post this question, and I want to thank anyone who took the time to read through it and respond. In my town in New Jersey, we are blessed to have two independent music shops. But these fine folks have little or no experience in steel guitar. And the same goes double for the large retail music stores out on the highway.

You people are the best resource.

Many thanks.
John Chadwick
John Watson

Post by John Watson »

Hey John. I'd suggest you use the forum search bar- search "string gauge chart". I've seen some good info under that search. Or search under string gauge for C6. Good luck Bro.
Melbert 8 string lap, James Adam's square neck reso, B- Bender Fender Tele.
K Maul

Post by K Maul »

Those gauges you listed are way too heavy for high G C6 and really should be ok for D. Are you sure you aren’t tuned an octave low or something? There are lots of places out in Google-land where you can find out the best gauges for any lap steel tuning you’d like to try.
b0b sells strings here on the forum. Look at the top of the page or https://www.steelguitarshopper.com/categories/Strings/.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Webb, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.
Allan Revich

Post by Allan Revich »

If you want the option of playing in open D (DADF#AD) AND in standard C6 (CEGACE) you really have only two options.

1) Change the strings every time you change tuning.
2) Get a second lap steel.

There are a couple other options available to you though.
- use a different version of C6 with a low G, ie/ GCGACE, the problem with this is that it won’t sound like a “normal” C6, and you won’t find learning material online.
- use a different version of open D using lighter strings and a higher D.
Perhaps, A F# D A F# D or A D A F# A D.
Either way one of your tunings will be uncommon.

Another option is to use neither of these tunings. C#m7 (E6) is an older popular tuning that will tighten up your floppy strings, give you the ease of Open D (or E) except for just one string, and that string gives you most of the advantages of C6.

E B E G# C# E
Current Tunings:
6 String | D – D A D F# A D
7 String | D/f – f D A D F# A D
https://papadafoe.com/lap-steel-tuning-database
John Chadwick

Post by John Chadwick »

Many thanks for your responses. K. Maul: the GHS strings definitely say "LAP G." and they seem to be consistent with what I read on Cindy Cashdollar's site for G.
Allan: I will give the E6 turning a shot!
Thank you all.
John
Jeff Highland

Post by Jeff Highland »

Your instrument is a 22.5" scale which would be considered short scale.
Getting a good sounding low D on that scale is not always easy. I'd consider using open E tuning instead, same intervals up 2 semitones.
Duesenberg Fairytale
1949 Supro Supreme
1950 National New Yorker
2008 Highland Baritone Weissenborn
2020 Highland New Yorker.
2020 Highland Mohan Veena
2021 Highland Weissencone
b0b

Post by b0b »

I believe that the Gretsch Electromatic ships with E major strings (E B E G# B E). You would have no real problem retuning to dobro G (G B D G B D) or D major (D A D F# A D), but C6th (C E G A C E) would be pretty tight on the low strings. Have you tried the GHS E Major set? www.steelguitarshopper.com/e-major-lap-steel-ghs/

E .013
B .020
G# .024p
E .032
B .042
E .056
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video