Quad Stringmaster on Ebay - Do you really need that many nec

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Gerald Ross

Quad Stringmaster on Ebay - Do you really need that many nec

Post by Gerald Ross »

There is a Quad 1950's Stringmaster currently on Ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=878364671

Honestly, does one really need that many necks to get the job done? I can understand wanting this guitar for the historic value but from an everyday playing perspective... is it really needed?

Just starting a thread here.

------------------
Gerald Ross
'Northwest Ann Arbor, Michigan's King Of The Hawaiian Steel Guitar'
Gerald's Fingerstyle Guitar Website

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Gerald Ross on 30 May 2002 at 10:03 AM.]</p></FONT>
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

No. You can play incredible, sublime, timeless music with 6 strings and a single neck.

On the other hand, did ya ever see Duke Ching in action? He plays the heck out of 4 necks in a single tune.
J D Sauser

Post by J D Sauser »

<SMALL>....is it really needed?</SMALL>
Yeah, but with 12 strings each, please! Image

Uhm... well, all jokes set appart, I am seriously thingking about building a tripple 10... the thing is that I am coming up with an increasing thirst for "inside-out" tunings (kind´a like Maurice´s C6th "chromatic"). But that´s all an other story, now isn´t it....
... J-D.
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

I'm constantly switching between 3 of the 4 necks on my quad. Why not use the tunings if you have them? Otherwise you'd be like the pedal steel player who never touches the pedals. The 4 necks are not necessary... they are a luxury. A good player will sound better with 4 necks because of the additional options and versatility. And a quad looks spectacular on stage. It's an attraction in a band. In "show biz" the visual aspects are almost as important as the audio aspects... sometimes more important.

I also believe that a lot of beautiful music can be played on 6 strings. Ultimately it's in the hands of each player.

BTW, that quad that you linked to is missing the 4 legs and the 4 chrome bridge covers. One would need a pretty big "lap" to accomodate it. Image

------------------
<font size=-1>My Site | Doug's Free Tab</font>

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Doug Beaumier on 30 May 2002 at 02:28 PM.]</p></FONT>
Ray Montee

Post by Ray Montee »

I guess that opening question could also be applied to today's lot of pedal steel guitars. Do YOU really need thost 8 pedals and 4 to 9 knee levers? Is it really necessary? IS MORE really better? Does today's player HAVE TO mash or squaush every pedal at least once in each and every measure played?
WHen we had only TUNINGS to give us versatility........it seemed like the only solution.
Noel Boggs used to jump back and forth between his four necks at times, from chord to chord. BIG SOUNDS! Speedy West, as I recall, used to jump back and forth from neck to neck for various parts of a single tune and/or affect.
Looks like a fine instrument!
C Dixon

Post by C Dixon »

A player "needs" whatever he is happiest with.

Carl
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Very well said, Mr. Dixon.

------------------
Carter D10 9p/10k
Richard Sinkler

Oscar Usman

Post by Oscar Usman »

Back to Doug Beaumier.... I enjoyed your personal comment Doug. As a beginner I was looking at a triple neck that Mr. Herb Remington sells. Has anyone owned one of his double or triple neck 8 string guitars?

Thanks,
Oscar