I'm about to puchase a lefty from Justice. Advice?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Matthew Kresge

I'm about to puchase a lefty from Justice. Advice?

Post by Matthew Kresge »

I wanted to join this forum first and see if there are any fellow lefties out there (as I know there are from searching past posts) who have any advice for a beginner on the matter (are there any tuning/parts issues to being a lefty player?) or perhaps any leads on simple, cheaper models for sale. Justice can build me a simple lefty model (2 pedals one lever) for about $1,150 plus shipping, which unfortunately will run about $140 to get it from Arizona to the Philly area where I live but I can't seem to find anyone closer that offers an affordable, simple lefty beginner model other than Fessenden, who takes winters off and wouldn't be able to start building me one for another couple months.

Again, any insight, advice, info, suggestions from fellow lefties out there is welcome. Thanks!
Greg Forsyth

Post by Greg Forsyth »

Hi Matt,
I'm a leftie and am wondering if you have tried playing a right handed psg yet. If not, I would recommend finding a right handed steel that you could try out before ordering a left handed one. You may feel comfortable with the right handed version. My guitars are all right handed, they feel right, and I'm very left handed.

Best,
Greg
Matthew Kresge

Post by Matthew Kresge »

I appreciate the suggestion....however, I play a few instruments - guitar, ukulele, bass, drums...all left handed and feel the left handed consistency would enhance my playing the pedal steel lefty as well. I know there are advantage to playing righty pedal steel, as is the case of every instrument basically (curse my left-handedness!!), but I'm just going to stick with the lefty thing. Thanks again. I'm so stoked to start playing!
Matthew Kresge

Post by Matthew Kresge »

I should also say that I have tried a friend's lap steel a couple times and I don't know....it just didn't feel 'right' (no pun intended!) to play it righty.
Greg Forsyth

Post by Greg Forsyth »

Please don't curse your left handedness!
Justice has a fine reputation in the steel guitar world, and I think you will have to pay shipping anyway unless you find something local.
I don't know if you have posted yet but you can also post in the "Wanted To Buy" section to see if anyone on the Forum has a lefty they are willing to sell.
I understand the feeling of being stoked to start playing.
Good luck in your pursuit.
Ronald Anderson

Lefty S10

Post by Ronald Anderson »

You can't go wrong with a Justice it is expandable a 3x4 as you progress in your playing. This is a top of the line steel without all of the frills.
Robert Parent

Post by Robert Parent »

I agree with Greg above.... They are many left handed PSG players including myself that play a 'std' steel. Don't forget that resale will likely be much easier with a right handed guitar. BTW: playing steel requires both hands and legs all of which need to be trained.

Robert
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

Matthew - since you are pretty well set on playing other fretted instruments left-handed - i.e., fret with your right hand and pick with your left hand - then I would suggest you stick with that for pedal steel. Many picking techniques from, e.g., guitar, translate over to some extent to steel guitar.

I can't see the point in fighting that by playing pedal steel backwards from the way you play everything else. And you're having no problem finding a solid left-handed instrument at a reasonable price. Hey, I'm hardcore right-handed - but I don't see why a natural lefty should necessarily try to force that on themselves.
Bob Watson

Post by Bob Watson »

A friend of mine bought a Justice left handed pedal steel and loves it.
Steve Leal

Post by Steve Leal »

Hi Matthew. Welcome to the lefty steel club!

I have yet to own a Justice, but it should be a solid guitar. I highly recommend that you start with 3 pedals and 4 knee levers at a minimum. You will grow into using all of the levers for combinations you will want to get. My lefty Mullen G2 is the best guitar I have played by far sound wise and mechanically wise. It is a 10 string with 4 pedals and 5 knee levers.

Happy shopping!
Ron Pruter

Post by Ron Pruter »

Ronald Anderson. Hmm! 🙊
Emmons SKH Le Grande, '73 P/J bass, Tick tack bass, Regal high strung, and a Coral Sitar, USA Nashville 112.
Matthew Kresge

Post by Matthew Kresge »

Steve Leal wrote:Hi Matthew. Welcome to the lefty steel club!

I have yet to own a Justice, but it should be a solid guitar. I highly recommend that you start with 3 pedals and 4 knee levers at a minimum. You will grow into using all of the levers for combinations you will want to get. My lefty Mullen G2 is the best guitar I have played by far sound wise and mechanically wise. It is a 10 string with 4 pedals and 5 knee levers.

Happy shopping!
I unfortunately don't have a budget to get 3 pedals/4 levers at the moment, though it seems Justice allows you to add on. I'm starting with 2 pedals/1 lever.
Tyler McFarlane

Post by Tyler McFarlane »

Hi Matthew,

I know this is an old post, but I just stumbled upon it. I can to the same conclusion as you. There isn't much out there for us lefties in the $1000 price range. I ended up going up a little bit in price and bought the Justice S-10 JR. 3x4. I've had that since October and have been very happy with it. Did you end up buying a Justice?

Cheers,
Tyler