My Latest Project

For people who build steel guitars

Moderator: J D Sauser

Nicholas Thomas

My Latest Project

Post by Nicholas Thomas »

Hi Everyone, my name is Nic Thomas, I'm 21 years old and I'm currently living in Newfoundland, Canada. Pedal Steels are a little hard to get around these areas, and due to the prices and the question of if I was gonna actually learn it or not, I figured I would build my own at age 18, my first steel was a crude sight but somewhat worked none the less. I've built 3 10 strings since then and now I'm working on my first double neck. I'll probably post more pictures as I work on it. I've only ever seen one pedal steel in real life so I'm kinda working off old forum entries and pictures for idea references.
Guitar Built by me!
John Sims

Post by John Sims »

Awesome Nicholas! Keep us in the loop! :D
Regards,

John

Steelin' is a way of life!

1997 Carter U-12 Double Body-Natural Birdseye Maple-8p/5k, Peavey Nashville 1000 Amp, Goodrich L10K Vol. Pedal, Boss DD-3 Delay, Boss CE-5 Chorus, Behringer UMC-204HD Audio Interface, AKAI MPK Mini MK3 Professional Midi Keyboard/Controller, Gretsch Bobtail Resonator, Fender Banjo, Rondo SX Lap Steel (C6), DIY Lap Steel (Open D), a few Mojo Hand Cigar Box Guitars (MojoHandGuitars.com).
J D Sauser

Post by J D Sauser »

awesome indeed.
Yes, don't be shy! Show us, we're eager to steel from you if you have some out of this world idea!

... J-D.

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.
Stu Schulman

Post by Stu Schulman »

Very Cool!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Nicholas Thomas

Heres my latest finished build, I started it January 2021 and finished it August 2021, I has a small break when I was busy with my college studies. My D10 build will feature some of these building techniques.
Guitar Built by me!
John Sims

Post by John Sims »

Wow Nicholas! Amazing work! I bet it sounds better than it looks! :D
Regards,

John

1997 Carter U-12 Double Body-Natural Birdseye Maple-8p/5k, Peavey Nashville 1000 Amp, Goodrich L10K Vol. Pedal, Boss DD-3 Delay, Boss CE-5 Chorus, Behringer UMC-204HD Audio Interface, AKAI MPK Mini MK3 Professional Midi Keyboard/Controller, Gretsch Bobtail Resonator, Fender Banjo, Rondo SX Lap Steel (C6), DIY Lap Steel (Open D), a few Mojo Hand Cigar Box Guitars (MojoHandGuitars.com).
Bill Ford

Post by Bill Ford »

Neat, and orderly underside..looks good overall.
Bill Ford S12 CLR, S12 Lamar keyless, Misc amps&toys Sharp Covers
Steeling for Jesus now!!!
Javier Schulenburg

Post by Javier Schulenburg »

Nice project, I'm currently in the process of designing one, so quite a bit of maths to do and my reliance on mostly hand tools will make it interesting. Looking forward to seeing the final product!
John Sluszny

Post by John Sluszny »

👍👏
John Sluszny

Post by John Sluszny »

Javier Schulenburg wrote: Looking forward to seeing the final product!
So am I ! 😉
John Sims

Post by John Sims »

If it's anything like the S-10 he made, it will be amazing! :D
Regards,

John

Nicholas Thomas

Planning on getting the colours on the new guitar this weekend, should see some progress pictures soon. I'm planning on doing red stain with black necks, I don't have the best lacquers and paints available but I'm hoping it'll still look nice.
Guitar Built by me!
John Sims

Post by John Sims »

Prep and getting all of the minute scratches out are obviously key! Can't wait to see the finish! :)
Regards,

John

Steven Black

Reply to my build

Post by Steven Black »

Hello Nicholas, what kind of changers are you going to use in your double 10?
Nicholas Thomas

Hi Steven, the changers in my D10 will be the pull release type, I have a simple mind and its the easiest to wrap my head around.
Guitar Built by me!
Nicholas Thomas

Update

My D10 project is coming along, keeping my schooling as a priority i usually pick at it here and there. Soon be time to start building the undercarriage.
Guitar Built by me!
Greg Forsyth

Post by Greg Forsyth »

Hi Nic,
Black and red, my favorite color combination! A big hand to you for your work!
Please let us know the type of finish you used and also the brand.
Also, are you machining your metal parts?
My Best,
Greg
Nicholas Thomas

I've mostly finished my guitar, I'm still to hook up the mechanics for the C neck, but I'm still playing it non pedal style, the E9 neck sounds great I cant get over the sound, certainly I never played anything else other than the guitars I've made but still it sounds great. Probably going to add more knee levers later on but 4 will do for now. The finish on the guitar is just a car lacquer from Canadian Tire, nothing too fancy and not too many coats of it, its just right for my liking.
Guitar Built by me!
Mike Preuss

Post by Mike Preuss »

That's quite the accomplishment. Great job!
Ross Shafer

Post by Ross Shafer »

Look Great Nic!
Johnie King

Post by Johnie King »

Nicely built!!