Bronson Melody King came in with this weird metal piece...

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Ryan Lunenfeld

Bronson Melody King came in with this weird metal piece...

Post by Ryan Lunenfeld »

Bronson came today, in beautiful shape with a bunch of documents(haven't gone through them). But it came with this weird metal piece, does anyone know what this is for?

Great shape, and the case is lovely. I love the areas for cable + picks/bars. Also this came with the smallest tone bars I've ever seen, haha.

the 5 seconds I had to test it out between gettin back to work, also gotta let it warm up, it's 8 degrees out there, I'm sure that UPS truck was not comfortable.
-Gibson EH185-Rickenbacker Silver Hawaiian-Melobar Powerslide 88-Fender deluxe 6 - Bronson Melody King -Fouke Industrial Purple Menace-Hudson Resonator lap thing-Vega something or other-
Ryan Lunenfeld

Post by Ryan Lunenfeld »

The rest of the ingredients in the case:

1 Susse Chalet Hotel room business card...

1 James U Blanchard coin company envelope asking for $95 for a coin investment in the future...

1 Brown paper with a bunch of notes

1 Mozart Music Book belonging to ________ a female lap steel player or trainee. Dated Feb 16th, 1954 and Aloha Oe as the last song in teh book :-)

1 page from THIS WEEK Magazine, mach 12th 1967, with a page with Neil DIamond's I'm a Believer, notes and lyrics. And also an article about real wide ties and vinyl ties. hmm.

1 copy of Allen's Modern Quick and Easy Method for Hawaiian Guitar by J. Worth Allen, priced 75 cents.

1 copy of The Modern Paramount Method for Hawaiian Guitar by W.J. Smith Music Co, priced 75 cents.

1 Mozart Music Book, filled in less, just lyrics and notes to one hundred miles away on it.

Interesting finds in this ole case! And it looks like the original case.
-Gibson EH185-Rickenbacker Silver Hawaiian-Melobar Powerslide 88-Fender deluxe 6 - Bronson Melody King -Fouke Industrial Purple Menace-Hudson Resonator lap thing-Vega something or other-
George Piburn

I know !

Post by George Piburn »

That's a toilet paper roll dispenser. To quickly address Crappy Playing.
Allan Revich

Re: I know !

Post by Allan Revich »

George Piburn wrote:That's a toilet paper roll dispenser. To quickly address Crappy Playing.
I think it actually is a TP dispenser, but I suspect it may have been used as a hand rest placed over the horseshoe magnets. Does it fit over them in any way?

Very cool guitar and kit BTW!
Current Tunings:
6 String | D – D A D F# A D
7 String | D/f – f D A D F# A D
https://papadafoe.com/lap-steel-tuning-database
Ryan Lunenfeld

Post by Ryan Lunenfeld »

Thank you, it sounds great. I've had two prewar b7s, and I might like this one's tone better!

I think the Tip dispensor thing might be right. Weird. I guess it makes finding the other stuff in there as well...

Interesting story, I was able to find out who the student was. She was 11 years old at the time of her training, there are two books as well. Her and her brother seems to of taken classes. His name was on one of the books, and hers on hers as well(the notes book).

Unfortunately she passed away, but found out through searching(I'm a librarian by degree, so know how to do this all to well) and found out her daughter lives about 3-4 minutes away from myself. Her family being originally from Detroit(makes sense as Bronsons were sold as student models) I find this kinda fascinating that her mother's guitar ended up in the hands of someone in the same city as her daughter.

Maybe there's more story to this, hmmm.
Mike McBride

Post by Mike McBride »

Cool provenance.
Glenn Wilde

Post by Glenn Wilde »

Beautiful! My Bronson is a K&F/ Fender, I've had a couple Valco amps that were some of the best ive ever had, badged Bronson. Bronson publishing apparently cared about quality.