Are You Lonesome Tonight-swing stye Gunhild Carling

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Larry Lenhart

Are You Lonesome Tonight-swing stye Gunhild Carling

Post by Larry Lenhart »

I love the music of Gunhild Carling and recently discovered her version of "Are you lonesome tonight"...I have working on it in this style and it lays very nicely on steel..fun to play ..here is her version of it, to give you and idea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9fadStvowQ
Zum Encore, Pedalmaster D10, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, 1976 Ibanez, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, Boss Kamatra 100, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

I liked it! :D
Erv
Larry Lenhart

Post by Larry Lenhart »

ERV
BTW I am using your tab on this tune to help me,,,I almost posted that in the first place.

Thanks for all your help on steel guitar !
Zum Encore, Pedalmaster D10, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, 1976 Ibanez, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, Boss Kamatra 100, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Larry,
Bless your heart! :D
Erv
Jim Fogle

Post by Jim Fogle »

That is a fun video to watch. I found the sound of the bass drum interesting. It is not unusual to use a large diameter bass drum in Dixieland music. In this video the bass drum isn't that big but it has a big drum sound.

That lady is a good vocalist and trombone player. Her timing sure jumps around whiles she's singing.
Remembering Harold Fogle (1945-1999) Pedal Steel Player
Dell laptop Win 10, i3, 8GB, 480GB
2023 BiaB UltraPlus PAK
Cakewalk by Bandlab Computer DAW
Zoom MRS-8 8 Track Hardware DAW
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

I love this, and I'd sure like to play that kind of stuff! It's so fun and happy-feeling, and it gives a musician all kinds of chances to "fly off" and use their imagination. In fact, I often played up-tempo versions of old slow songs for break tunes in our band, as most of the players that I played with were familiar with them and it was a simple matter to "jazz them up". Our audiences related too, since they were uaually familiar with the songs.

Of course, this particular song was a hit several times, starting back in the 1920's (long before Elvis did it in 1961, and even before he was born). But we'll overlook that, since they did a great job, and these players aren't old enough to remember versions earlier than the one that Elvis did! :lol:
Larry Lenhart

Post by Larry Lenhart »

Donny, I am fortunate enough to play guitar and 4 string banjo with a local group where we do this kind of music, from the tin pan alley era, not to the level of this group for sure, but then, very few could achieve it. I attend a classical jazz festival every year in Chandler Az, and they usually have a dozen bands from around the country playing dixieland style, or thats what I call it...if Louis Armstrong played it, you will hear it there.
Thanks for the response...this ladys band has tons of videos out there and sometimes I spend too much time watching them !