Pedal Steel Seats

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Casey Saulpaugh

Pedal Steel Seats

Post by Casey Saulpaugh »

Hope everyone's doing well!

Here's an article about pedal steel / steel guitar seats...
https://playpedalsteel.com/pedal-steel-guitar-seats/

Are most of you using a steel guitar seat? Any neat customizations like backrests or powerstrips?

I've really enjoyed my Walker seat over the years, especially the storage convenience!

-Casey
Playpedalsteel.com - An online resource for steel guitar.

"The Essentials" - An online video series: an easy and intuitive approach to mastering the pedal steel.
https://playpedalsteel.com/playing-peda ... ssentials/

Pedal Steel Guides & Digital Downloads: https://playpedalsteel.teachable.com
Mitch Ellis

Post by Mitch Ellis »

Hey Casey. I have been using a "plain Jane' GFI seat for years and it's been perfect. It don't have a back or side compartment so it folds up into a nice little square and takes up less room in the truck with my other gear. One thing I especially like about it is the underside of the seat. It's stained wood and over the years I've gotten the autographs of some of the really "big names." As far as custom work, I took off the GFI plate and replaced it with one of identical size with my name engraved on it. I also have a miniature brass horseshoe on the front and a black leather handle instead of the plastic one. I really like it a lot.

Mitch
Bobby D. Jones

Post by Bobby D. Jones »

A steel guitar players seat is sort of like a cowboys saddle. You want it to be comfortable. You want to enjoy sitting in it to do the job, And be able to walk away when the job is over.

Proper Height, Proper padding, Cloth or leather cover. And a comfortable Back Rest are important for a comfortable seat.

I was given a seat as a gift by my Huggie. I used it to show my appreciation for the gift. That seat was a regular Torture Chamber. The seat was to tall for my 5' 9" frame, and I had to set on the very front of the seat, The back rest had a 4" foam pad.

Customize time. I cut legs off a little at a time, And try, Till my feet would set flat on the floor with pivot on my heel. I removed the Naga-Hyde seat cover, With the backrest cover off, The 4" pad got cut to about 1 1/2", Recovered seat and back rest with cloth. Now a 4 hour house band gig is comfortable.

I personally don't want a power strip attached to my seat. With the Aluminum Boat Seat hinges to attach the backrest, And the metal corner protectors and bottom edge protectors, And Metal legs/metal lock bars, If there was a power problem in a venue, My seat may Frick-a-see me.
When it come to set up and tear down if I have help, They can Lay out or wind up my power cable, While I a getting out or putting Pick Bag, Bars, Dobro Pedal and cables in my seat.
J Fletcher

Post by J Fletcher »

I have an old Sho~Bud pac a seat , and that thing is too overbuilt for my needs . As a result it is heavy . The plywood that partions the compartment is 1/2" thick . Wonder if there are lighter weight options these days . Needs new foam too , I'm thinking some gel type foam would be more comfortable .
Jerry
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

My current seat is a Steeler's Choice Sidekick with back, no power strip.

Late 80's/early 90's I built about a dozen seats. I lost track of them except two and they are both still in use. All my builds used cloth for seats, 3/4" conduit for legs with welded corners. Ones that I built with a back used boat seat back hinges.
The last one I built I covered it with rosewood formica (and a back). I took it to St Louis and it was put on sale at the Franklin Guitar Co booth. It was sold within two hours.

Seat weight is an issue, as we age and want lighter things. Builders, that use wood (and that is all I know of except one European builder) are faced with making the seats sturdy and that can mean thicker materials, and thus more weight.

Power strips are a no-no for me.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Don Sulesky

steel seat

Post by Don Sulesky »

I still use the seat I bought from Jack over 20 years ago that he had for his own use.
Still use it and like it and the price was right.
A steal then and surely a bigger one today.
Private one on one lessons available
Member: FSGC, PSGA, TSGA
Co-founder: Florida Steel Guitar Club

"Steel guitar is like playing chess in the dark with three players". Jeff Newman quote from 1997 seminar
Karl Paulsen

Post by Karl Paulsen »

Got a Steelers Choice with all the doodads. Power strip, sidecar, back support and taller than normal. I like it quite a bit, Especially the sidecar.

Two minor modifications so far. I removed the inside lid foam and now a small 3-ring binder fits there nicely. I also added bumpers to the side so it is protected if carrying from the side handle and setting it down.
Nickel and Steel. Sad Songs and Steel Guitar.
https://www.facebook.com/NickelandSteel

Chicago Valley Railroad. Trainspotting and Bargain Hunting...
https://chicagovalleyrailroad.blogspot.com/
John Larson

Post by John Larson »

As a newish player I can divide my steel time into "pre and post" seat. Before the seat I felt like I was fighting the instrument constantly but now it's much more comfortable.
Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Give praise to the Lord with the harp, chant unto Him with the ten-stringed psaltery. Sing unto Him a new song, chant well unto Him with jubilation. For the word of the Lord is true, and all His works are in faithfulness. The Lord loveth mercy and judgement; the earth is full of the mercy of the Lord.
- Psalm 33:1-5
Mike Friedman

Post by Mike Friedman »

After 20 years of sitting on a drum throne, I finally got this Sho-Bud seat last week.

So far I love it. Can't wait to take it out for a gig!

"All right ramblers...let's get ramblin'"
Dave Falk

Pedal Steel Seat - used under $200?

Post by Dave Falk »

Hello, if anyone has a used pedal steel seat for sale, please let me know. Looking for a seat with a back...prefer in black.

Thank you kindly

Dave
Malcolm McMaster

Post by Malcolm McMaster »

Scott Dixon steel guitar seats are first class, light weight, strong.
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.
Casey Saulpaugh

Awesome to hear what everyone's using...besides storage, and the importance of comfort, having a solid feel/foundation for playing (like Bobby and John mentioned) has been surprisingly helpful compared to when I used to use a keyboard bench seat.

I've never had one with a backrest, but there have been plenty of times where I knew I'd utilize it, especially during rehearsals.

Those look nice Malcolm, will check them out! Will keep a lookout Dave and let you know if I come across one!

"The Essentials" - An online video series: an easy and intuitive approach to mastering the pedal steel.

Eric Ibarra

Post by Eric Ibarra »

I am hoping to buy a seat from Dan at Steeler's Choice at the Steel show in Dallas this coming March
Dave Hopping

Post by Dave Hopping »

Here's my Steeler's Choice.Also have a smaller unbranded seat for grab & go.
Eugene Cole

Post by Eugene Cole »

Malcolm McMaster wrote:Scott Dixon steel guitar seats are first class, light weight, strong.
Malcom; these look like nice seats. However when I looked on their web site https://www.scottdixoninc.com/ ; I saw nothing about this product.
Regards
-- Eugene <sup>at</sup> FJ45.com

PixEnBar.com
Cole-Luthierie.com
FJ45.com

Sierra U14 8+5 my copedent, 1972 MSA D10 8+4, and nothing in the Bank. 8^)
Ryan Bramlett

Post by Ryan Bramlett »

Front plate says steelseat.com, which does not appear to be in business any longer. It was used when I bought it in 2016. The build is VERY similar to Steeler's Choice, and very strong, though it has needed several repairs over the years. It does have a power strip (not seen in photo), which I find to be useful. Of course I've made a few modifications (the fun part!), including chopping down the legs a few inches and modifying their positioning so that they stand more perpendicular to the floor. Also I bought some blue fabric and reupholstered the seat and backrest to replace the original black velvet, which was an absolute pet hair magnet and very "blah" visually. I replaced the original rubber feet with longer rubber feet to better protect the upholstery when the seat is standing upright. And then there's the custom embroidery...because ya gotta have fun with it. Was going for a vibe of over-the-top '70's gospel flamboyance and fun. HUGE shout-out to Erv Niehaus who called my attention to Psalms 33:2. Thanks Erv, you're the best!
Casey Saulpaugh

Awesome seat Ryan, really neat to hear about the customization!!

Dave- been wanting a grab and go seat, to go along with my main seat, good idea!

Robert Pastore

Post by Robert Pastore »

I also have the Steeler's Choice with all the do-dads.

I like having the power strip, but don't use it much. The back rest is a must for me, really makes a difference, and I also love the side car. Usually keep it open when I'm playing as an extra shelf for phone and things.
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

I acquired my first Steelers' Choice seat (a used blue one with a back, side-pocket and power-strip) when I arrived in America in the mid-'90s. It served me well although I found the power-strip to be a nuisance. I never had need of it, and the coiled wire would come 'uncoiled' and tripped me up on one occasion! :(

It also adds considerable weight. When I bought my new Emmons LeGrande in 2000, I decided to order an all-black Steelers' Choice seat to match my lovely new black steel.

That's the seat I'm still using. To allow for more junk to accumulate inside, I removed those divisions in both compartments; now I can stow two volume-pedals, countless tools and cords, and that side pocket holds plenty of strings, tuners, wrenches, and still there's room for a cup of coffee to sit there for those interminable rehearsals.

To be honest, the Steelers' Choice product is quite heavy to start with due to its solid construction and the thickness of the wood they use. Me cramming everything except the kitchen-sink inside hasn't helped, but I've always appreciated its quality and reliability.

As a footnote, I can still just recall my earliest days of playing steel (a ZB Student guitar back in England in the early '70s); my first task when arriving at a venue was to hunt down a suitable chair! There were times when I was unsuccessful and only came up with a chair-with-arms! That made life difficult when it came to picking up my Telecaster!

How times have changed, eh?
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
Andrew Goulet

Post by Andrew Goulet »

I played my first pedal steel show using a metal folding chair. I also carried my steel (broken down) to the show in a big plastic storage bin. My pride and my back were both hurting after that gig.
Marlen S12 and a ZT Club
Glenn Demichele

Post by Glenn Demichele »

A few years ago I decided my Steelers choice with backrest and sidecar was too heavy. I got a portable “hunting chair”. It was awful. I’ve refoamed and reupholstered the seat, and moved the inside dividers around so I can carry 2 mini bass heads inside for stereo (or a spare). I also added a power strip underneath that is wired to an IEC connector mounted through the back wall, so I carry the power cord inside the seat and plug it in when I set up. I need that seat because it always puts me in the perfect position to play. The irony is my seat is the heaviest piece I carry when I’m using my Excel. My speakers are now the lightest. That’s all backwards.
Franklin D10 8&5, Excel D10 8&5, homemade buffer/overdrive, Moyo pedal, GT-001 effects, 2x BAM200 for stereo. 2x GW8003 8" driver in homemade closed-box. Also NV400 etc. etc...
Anthony Parish

Post by Anthony Parish »

Adjustable piano bench. Nothing fancy, but it gets the job done.
Chris Schlotzhauer

Post by Chris Schlotzhauer »

Some of the greatest players ever never seemed to mind what they sat on. They just grabbed whatever they could find when they got to the show.
I think Jimmy Day preferred this from the lunch room....lol

David Mitchell

Post by David Mitchell »

Here's mine. 4 Steeler choice and 1 something else. Can't remember. I do a lot of steel guitar buyout package deals and keep good amps, seats, bars, pedals, etc. Never know when I'll need a spare. The seats make good storage for other guitar gadgets. The interesting thing is that I don't use steel seats to play pedal steel with. I prefer swiveling office chairs that I can easily adjust the height because I play so many steel guitars that I work on and they are not all the same height. Easier to adjust the chair with one lever than to change four legs. I use those cheaper vinyl covered seats to prop my feet up on. Got my feet on a vinyl GFI as I write this. Oh, I also collect fiddles and Spanish guitars. Repair them if necessary. I have 9 pedal steels I keep personally down from 12. Lol!
Andrew Goulet

Post by Andrew Goulet »

Chris Schlotzhauer wrote:Some of the greatest players ever never seemed to mind what they sat on. They just grabbed whatever they could find when they got to the show.
I think Jimmy Day preferred this from the lunch room....lol

Is that the Jimmy Day model folding chair?! :)
Marlen S12 and a ZT Club