Respect to Fouke industrial!

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Ryan Lunenfeld

Respect to Fouke industrial!

Post by Ryan Lunenfeld »

Just got my purple menace in the mail today:

And all I've got to say is the tone is amazing, and sustain for days. The tone is more aggressive than my other lap steels, I think because of the pickup on it. But I can also see it getting gentle tones quite easy. The unit feels like I can bring it out and not worry about tuning.

The build is amazingly solid, has some heft to it for sure!

Just had to give a shot out to Chris Fouke at Fouke Industrial doing a great job!

I'm curious if all the Fouke Industrials sound similar or if this is a bit different due to being a one off. Hmm.

Anyone else have some good experiences with Fouke? I'm especially curious about the biscuit rez.

https://industrialguitar.com/ for the site.

Ok, back to playing it, and testing it out through some reverbs for some ethereal sounds! :alien:
-Gibson EH185-Rickenbacker Silver Hawaiian-Melobar Powerslide 88-Fender deluxe 6 - Bronson Melody King -Fouke Industrial Purple Menace-Hudson Resonator lap thing-Vega something or other-
Allan Revich

Post by Allan Revich »

I have a custom 7 string that Chris built for me. Looks great. Plays great. Sounds great. And might come in handy at rough bar gigs too!

Current Tunings:
6 String | D – D A D F# A D
7 String | D/f – f D A D F# A D
https://papadafoe.com/lap-steel-tuning-database
Mike McBride

Post by Mike McBride »

I practically never see these for sale 2nd hand. I wonder why?
Daniel McKee

Post by Daniel McKee »

Fouke makes some of the coolest stuff. Definitely dont see too many for sale. I also dont run across a ton of demos or examples to listen to (especially on a clean setting) so fouke owners if you have recordings of you playing one, Id encourage you to post it somewhere. I think if more people realized how good these guitars are they'd be even more popular.

I like your name for it "the Purple Menace" I bet the only thing menacing thing about it is not wanting to stop playing it.
Ryan Lunenfeld

Post by Ryan Lunenfeld »

Daniel McKee wrote:Fouke makes some of the coolest stuff. Definitely dont see too many for sale. I also dont run across a ton of demos or examples to listen to (especially on a clean setting) so fouke owners if you have recordings of you playing one, Id encourage you to post it somewhere. I think if more people realized how good these guitars are they'd be even more popular.

I like your name for it "the Purple Menace" I bet the only thing menacing thing about it is not wanting to stop playing it.
Ha, that's what Chris Fouke named it. I like calling it Purple Rain instead.

I think Chris posts a lot of the videos up, and he likes the non clean pedals it seems! :-)

Its a bit heavy I've got to admit, I think I played it 8 or so hours straight due to the holiday.

I'd post some audio clips, but I don't want to embarrass myself :eek:
-Gibson EH185-Rickenbacker Silver Hawaiian-Melobar Powerslide 88-Fender deluxe 6 - Bronson Melody King -Fouke Industrial Purple Menace-Hudson Resonator lap thing-Vega something or other-
Cliff Swanson

Post by Cliff Swanson »

I have two of Chris' guitars, one a standard scale and the other a baritone, both with Certano benders. I've posted a few videos of tunes I played with each of them. I think the fact that the instruments are hollow is a key feature in their tone, which is rich whether clean or with a touch of overdrive. I really love those guitars.

Congrats on taking delivery of yours!
Cliff
Larry Carlson

Post by Larry Carlson »

Wow.......that is a purple guitar.
I like it. Unusual color, unusual design and very distinctive.
I bet it sounds great. You will enjoy the heck out of it.

Chris made a baritone guitar for me last year.
He is one of the nicest guys I have ever dealt with.
Lots of emails going back and forth to make sure he understood what I wanted.
..........and he nailed it.
This thing is an absolute tone monster. Every time I plug it in my ears just go Aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh............

I have stuff.
I try to make music with it.
Sometimes it works.
Sometimes it doesn't.
But I keep on trying.
Tom Watterson

Post by Tom Watterson »

I bought my Indy 8 in 2004, and have never wanted another; the tone and sustain are awesome. I've got it in A6 these days, and I smile every time I play it!