Kemper file types question

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Edward Dixon

Kemper file types question

Post by Edward Dixon »

I just acquired a Kemper Profiler Stage and need to re-organize the profiles loaded on it. Most of the profiles on it are high gain and they all sound close to the same and I doubt I would ever use any of them.

I have downloaded more profiles and found some I CAN use but I ran into some that don't seem to import (as far as I can tell). I noticed at least 3 different file extensions .krig, .kipr and .kperformance (?). the .krig extensions load as expected. Are the others older formats that need to be converted or re-named? Are there others I haven't seen yet?

My plan is to backup the current contents then erase all contents and reload the ones I will use in an order that makes since to me. I play multiple instruments so I will have a section for Guitar, Steel, Banjo Mandolin and Bass. The Guitar section will also be for multiple guitars, Strat, Tele, Taylor, Gretsch and so on (13 total). Before I can do that I need to know how to use these other formats because the Steel Amps are not in the .krig format (???).

I searched the Kemper forum but not sure how active that site is these days. I know we have Kemper users here so I'm hopping I can get a quicker answer by posting my question here.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Ed
Last edited by Edward Dixon on 1 Feb 2022 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Faith don't need no second opinion."
Scott Denniston

Post by Scott Denniston »

I use my Kemper about every day but mainly just turn it on and play. I've got my favorite profile all set up. Sorry I can't help much about files and procedures as I have to brush up quite a bit to get into that stuff. The Kemper site is actually pretty active if you get on there and ask a question. If nothing else they'll direct you to the section to read and understand any aspect. It's all pretty easy to deal with separately but there are so many parameters. I don't think anyone gets it all right off but the time put into studying it is rewarding.
Edward Dixon

Post by Edward Dixon »

I have posted this same question on the Kemper site.
Edward Dixon

Solved

Post by Edward Dixon »

Got an answer on the Kemper forum. Different file types load into different slots. To load the .kperformnce files I needed to be in Performance mode not Browse Mode.
Michael Hartz

Post by Michael Hartz »

Make sure it has updated OS on it. Some file types won’t work with older OS’s
Corbin Pratt

Post by Corbin Pratt »

If you're looking for awesome profiles for steel, check out Tone Junkie. I use a 64 Vibroverb profile and a 66 Showman profile that are killer. I put a PF350 IR on it as well. It sounds so great for steel.
CP in Nashville

Show Pro SD-10, Shaw Amplifiers, Kemper
Edward Dixon

Post by Edward Dixon »

Corbin Pratt wrote:If you're looking for awesome profiles for steel, check out Tone Junkie. I use a 64 Vibroverb profile and a 66 Showman profile that are killer. I put a PF350 IR on it as well. It sounds so great for steel.
Thanks for the tip, I will definitely check those out.

I have cleared out all profiles from the Kemper and have started the re-loading process now that I understand what file types are for which slots. I received a bunch of Steel Amp profiles with the Kemper but haven't had time to work with them yet. I did find a Carvin and a Loudbox profile that sound very good with my G2 as well as most of my standard guitars.

I'm giving away 4 other units after hearing how good the Kemper is. A Line 6 Bass Pod xtLive, Line 6 Pod xtLive, a POD HD500 and a Avid Eleven Rack. I stopped using the Line 6 stuff a few years ago and went back to real amps. Since I got the Kemper I'm thinking I could sell 6 amps and recover the cost of the Kemper and then some. "What a Wonderful World"
Jim Fogarty

Post by Jim Fogarty »

Edward Dixon wrote: I'm giving away 4 other units after hearing how good the Kemper is...(snip)... Since I got the Kemper I'm thinking I could sell 6 amps and recover the cost of the Kemper and then some. "What a Wonderful World"
This makes me very happy!! Enjoy, Ed!!

:)
Edward Dixon

Post by Edward Dixon »

Thanks Jim, I am enjoying the Kemper immensely. I was in the studio about 10 hrs yesterday and slept like a baby last night.
Scott Denniston

Post by Scott Denniston »

I'm glad these are finally kind of catching on. I've got the unpowered rack-mount version. Monday I'll be receiving my second Jay Ganz Straight Ahead power amp. I'll have them both velcroed to the top of my rack bag holding the Kemper and go out stereo to two Tommy Huff cabs loaded with TT-15s. The two Ganz amps fit into the rack bag pocket with the cords. An extremely light solution especially considering 500 watts per side! I've mostly used Michael Britt's Lil Willie profile and it sounds as good or better than any tube amp I've played out of (with the exception maybe of my heavy VHT 2/90/2 paired with the Sarno Rev.).
One thing that has occurred to me though is the need for a small APC backup for temporary power loss. I was practicing one afternoon and there was a lightning strike nearby and I had to wait all that time for the Kemper to boot up before I could continue. That doesn't bother me at home but could be a pia on stage. "It'll just be about a minute & 1/2 guys".
Jos Roderkerken

Post by Jos Roderkerken »

It's a great machine. i use the peavey nashville 400 profile with the j130 IR file. and a simple EV EKX 12"monitor and it's a head turner
Why are you playing an ironingboard??

rriigghhtt