Need to refinish a case...

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Roger Crawford

Need to refinish a case...

Post by Roger Crawford »

...does anyone know a good source for the carpet material to do it with?
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Shag? Image
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

If you want the "carpet" material for the inside try www.partsexpress.com they have several types and colors. I've used the heavier stuff they sell for outside of speaker cabinets and it works well. I also built a digital multi-track recorder case and used it in and out and it worked good.

I relined the inside of my Franklin case with crushed velour - what originally was in it.
Mark Edwards

Post by Mark Edwards »

Roger I went to our local carpet supply store, and they had roles of the stuff in different colors. You might see if there is a local carpet supplier in your area, if not, try a carpet dealer they can probably order for you.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I've never seen the "ozite" or whatever you want to call it at a regular carpet store. However, a car stereo shop that does custom work may have some they will sell.

But, I still like the stuff at parts express that I referenced. They have two grades - a heavy duty grade and a "regular" grade - and several colors. I used to build steel cases, rack cases and steel pack a seats and If I were still doing it, I'd use the heavy duty stuff.
Buddy Griffin

Post by Buddy Griffin »

Is that supposed to be glued or does it have a sticky backing? What kind of glue is used over old vinyl on a case?
Larry Moore

Post by Larry Moore »

What about Indoor / Outdoor Carpet, you never need to cut it.. Image
Larry
Bill Plemmons

Post by Bill Plemmons »

Roger.
Call Peavey I believe they have what you're for.
Bill

Kirk Hamre

Post by Kirk Hamre »

Try one of the larger fabric stores in your area. They have lots of colors and different types of material to choose from.
Frank Parish

Post by Frank Parish »

I like the shag effect but I would use regular tolex in any shade of black. I recovered my old Emmons case about 14 years ago in Tweed I got from Peavey and it's still holding up but looks dirty and rough. the Tweed doesn't look so good after a few years have gone by. What about something in camo?