1927 National Style 1 Tricone

Pedal, lap, Hawaiian, resonator ... anything played with a bar
Peter Garellick

1927 National Style 1 Tricone

Post by Peter Garellick »

Hi, this is a very early National Style 1 Squareneck from 1927, serial number 163, making it the 63rd one ever made. The grills are hand cut and soldered, only the first 90 or so were made this way before they switched to the die-cut sound grills. Most likely John Dopyera himself had a hand in crafting this particular guitar. Anyways, it sounds great, a somewhat lighter and sweeter tone than the later production models. All original except new Golden Age tuners, new nut, a modern hard case, and new National cones. The old cones are included but Iʻm not sure if they are original. There is a small dent on the lower bout that doesnʻt affect the playing or the sound, and a little cosmetic damage to the headstock.

$3,000, not interested in trades EXCEPT possibly a high end squareneck resonator WITH a quality pickup installed.

I would strongly prefer a local buyer (SF BAY AREA) to avoid shipping. Thanks! Peter
Vladimir Sorokin

Post by Vladimir Sorokin »

Oh my gosh, rare bird! Is it sold already?
Charles Stange

Post by Charles Stange »

Peter, nice rig. I own no. 217 with "die cut" grills. Just wondering if you had a look inside. Mine has 217 marked in pencil on the bottom below the cones and on the inside of the cover....
Charles 'Skip' Stange
David Ball

Post by David Ball »

I have #201 with soldered strip grills/flat back like this one. Nice guitar! I've never looked inside it to see if the number is pencilled in though. 217 must be one of the very first with the die cut sound holes.

Dave
Ben Elder

Post by Ben Elder »

207: soldered-strips grille.
"Gopher, Everett?"