Echoplex Delay

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Chuck L. Smith

Echoplex Delay

Post by Chuck L. Smith »

[ Several months ago I purchased a Echoplex EP103 Delay. Was wondering how many other people are using one? I like mine but you have to fine tune it to your likening.[/list]
Nathan Guilford

Post by Nathan Guilford »

What are your settings?
'02 Carter S-12 uni
‘76 MSA D-12
www.toothbrushers.com
Darvin Willhoite

Post by Darvin Willhoite »

I used one for several years until Deltalab came out with an affordable digital delay.
Darvin Willhoite
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.
Bob Womack

Post by Bob Womack »

All I've got is this old thing...

(Yes, that particular one is mine.)

Bob
"It is said, 'Go not to the elves for counsel for they will say both no and yes.' "
Frodo Baggins to Gildor Inglorion, The Fellowship of the Ring

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (My Little Website)
Michael Butler

Post by Michael Butler »

Bob Womack wrote:All I've got is this old thing...

(Yes, that particular one is mine.)

Bob
yea, me too bob!

please see my Snakeskin's Virtual Music Museum below.

http://muscmp.wordpress.com/
Jim Pitman

Post by Jim Pitman »

Wow.....and I thought I was old school using this:Image
Bill Terry

Post by Bill Terry »

It's interesting that the Goodrich Baby Bloomer pedal supposedly emulates some of the 'Echoplex' circuit sound, the 'analog' signal path I guess? From the Goodrich web page:

https://goodrichsoundcompany.com/produc ... amp-pedal/
Lost Pines Studio
"I'm nuts about bolts"
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

Does anyone actually use a tape delay on stage anymore?? I know they are cool collectors items worth restoring, but surely a good analog delay is a better choice for stage work, no??.... I remember years ago, deciding I was going to go "old school" in all my effects onstage.. NO digital wizardry... I remember buying an original brown or tan Tolex Fender standalone reverb, an original BF Fender standalone reverb and a reissue Fender standalone at various times.. I recall buying a Tel Ray oilcan delay, and other such "retro" effects... it was awful... none of that stuff made it more than a few gigs, it was mostly huge, obtrusive, noisy, and a general all around pain in the ass... Oh yeah, none of it sounded any better than more modern, streamlined, more user friendly gear....

Are most of the old tape units at home in collections, in studios, or are some still used on the road?... bob
I'm over the hill and hittin'rocks on the way down!

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
Jeremy Reeves

Post by Jeremy Reeves »

I would love to use an echoplex live. But it's just one more thing that can go wrong, and I got tired of the degaussing. No one in the audience would be able to tell the difference, but if it inspires you to play better use whatever you want.
Miles Lang

Post by Miles Lang »

I used an Echoplex for years. I tried the Strymon El Capistan, but it proved unreliable. I am now using a Nocturne Mystery Brain, and that is the closest I’ve come to the sound of my old EP-3, and super reliable on gigs. #nocturnebrainpedals #mysterybrain
Santo Fan Club - from the island of Coney to the sands of Rockaway

Jill Martini & The Shrunken Heads

All aloha, all the time
Michael Butler

Post by Michael Butler »

Bob Carlucci wrote:Does anyone actually use a tape delay on stage anymore?? I know they are cool collectors items worth restoring, but surely a good analog delay is a better choice for stage work, no??.... I remember years ago, deciding I was going to go "old school" in all my effects onstage.. NO digital wizardry... I remember buying an original brown or tan Tolex Fender standalone reverb, an original BF Fender standalone reverb and a reissue Fender standalone at various times.. I recall buying a Tel Ray oilcan delay, and other such "retro" effects... it was awful... none of that stuff made it more than a few gigs, it was mostly huge, obtrusive, noisy, and a general all around pain in the ass... Oh yeah, none of it sounded any better than more modern, streamlined, more user friendly gear....

Are most of the old tape units at home in collections, in studios, or are some still used on the road?... bob
fender stand alone reverbs work very well and are very easy to work on so they could be used. a lot larger than a pedal but they have a much better sound--to me.

i have two ep3 echoplexs and have done what repairs i could on them. biggest liability is the tape. now very expensive and hard to find, and, a little difficult to make your own. other than that they produce a great sound that the pedals can't quite emulate, but, i wouldn't trust the tape on gigs, so, home use is about it.

i do have quite a bit of a strymon pedal collection and enjoy what they can do. it's all good!

play music!
please see my Snakeskin's Virtual Music Museum below.

http://muscmp.wordpress.com/