NYE TV parties.

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Tracy Sheehan

NYE TV parties.

Post by Tracy Sheehan »

Dallas Tx. Had steel all over the place and camera close up. The Nashville nye show had no steel or fiddle.but that was to be expected. Tracy
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I flipped through the channels last night. I stopped on the Nashville show 3 different times. There was a Pedal Steel on 3 acts, that I saw, but it wasn't heard. On a 4th act there was a pedal steel but the steeler was standing up with a 6 string guitar.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

The Nashville shows were all about loud bump and grind music. Plenty of steel guitar visibility but I was unable to hear anything out of them. We usually bypass these shows but I tolerated it in hopes of a trace of country. Not happening on televised networks.
Frank Freniere

Post by Frank Freniere »

Carly Pearce had a steel player (Williams guitar) smack dab in the middle of the stage right behind her. I was hoping to hear some classic PF licks when she covered Shania's "Any Man of Mine" but yes, the steel was way down in the mix.
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

The Nashville NYE TV thing, I didn't watch the whole show, but I saw pedal steel several times. I didn't decognize a lot of the players, but I saw a Fessenden, a Zumsteel and for sure Tim Sergent with Dierks Bentley on a Jackson I believe.
John Swain

Post by John Swain »

Most of it was forgettable, but early on Brooks and Dunn sang "Neon Moon" with Gary Morse? on a Desert Rose D10 upfront in the mix !
Johnny Cox
Location: Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas

Post by Johnny Cox »

If y'all want to hear real steel ya gonna have to watch RFD. You will only get tokens on the new stuff.
Johnny "Dumplin" Cox
"YANKIN' STRINGS & STOMPIN' PEDALS" since 1967.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Johnny Cox wrote:If y'all want to hear real steel ya gonna have to watch RFD. You will only get tokens on the new stuff.
I wish I had RFD but the cable TV package provided by the apartment complex I'm in does not include that. I would have to abandon the apartment complex cable TV service and buy a separate Spectrum cable package, over $200 (quoted $229) to get the service that includes RFD. Different areas have different Spectrum packages/options and prices. What I was quoted was for the Tampa,Fl area.
Last edited by Jack Stoner on 2 Jan 2022 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Larry Rafferty

Post by Larry Rafferty »

I also have spectrum and my $200 Plus Package does not include RFD. I called up Spectrum and they added RFD for $5 per month. The woman just threw a switch and I was connected. In the last week I watched Kaylon Roberts, Curly Chalker, Gary Carter, Gary Carter, and many more playing some excellent steel.

Also the Ernest Tubb, Faron Young, Marty Stewart, Carl Smith Show, etc., etc.,
Mullen D-10 8x5; Sho-Bud Super Pro D10 8x6; PedalMaster 5 Star SD-10 3x5; Dekley D-10 8x4;
Sho-Bud S-10 3x1; Fender Lap/Floor Steel; Peavey Power Slide; Supro Lap Steel; Peavey Nashville 400;
pair of Peavey Vegas 400's; Peavey NV112; Webb 614E with matching extension cabinet; Fender Twin Reverb and 3 cats.

They laughed when I sat down to play, cause' somebody pulled my chair away...
Larry Baker

Post by Larry Baker »

I get RFD, on Saturdays I get Perley Curtis show at 4.30 central time. A great show with Steel and twin fiddles.
At 6.00 pm on Saturdays is Merlin Gene show. Doug Journigan on steel, and a fiddle player, but don't know his name. Merlin has a little too much comedy to suit me.
Other good country shows at various times. Presleys in Branson is a good show with Dean Holman on steel.
Mullen G2 SD10 3 & 5 The Eagle
NV112 amp===Earnie Ball V.P.
Fred Treece

Post by Fred Treece »

No cable, no satellite here. I tried to watch the “Rockin NYE Party” from Times Square on ABC, which was neither rockin’ nor much of a party. I don’t know who the act was that we were watching, a singing group that was so unbelievably amateurish I was wondering if they were a comedy act, but after a couple minutes of that we went back to Netflix to watch Moby Dick, pretending Captain Ahab was the year 2021.