Jag Wire Strings for Dobro??

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

autry andress

Jag Wire Strings for Dobro??

Post by autry andress »

I love these strings for pedal steel. Is any one using these on Dobro? & how do you like'm
& are you using stainless or Nickel?
Thanks
Ron Randall

Post by Ron Randall »

I find stainless to have a lot of friction with the bar. Sustain is irrelevent IMHO on a dobro.

Nickel is the brightest and loudest. GHS Pure nickel rollerwond will be a little quieter than roundwound.

Many players use semiflat phosphor bronze.
(Jerry Douglas for one) Quieter with the bar slides and more mellow tone than rollerwound nickel.

This is an acoustic instrument, and it is just different somehow.

------------------
Fender Stringmaster T-8
PV N400
Dobro squareneck
Dobro roundneck
Lots of Taylors
Tim Rowley

Post by Tim Rowley »

Autry,

Jagwire has a nickel roundwound Dobro set that sounds great. They're nice and loud too. And they're not overly expensive. You can probably get 'em from b0b here on the Forum or if he doesn't carry them you could phone Jagwire String Co. at (989)539-4715.

Tim R.
KENNY KRUPNICK

Post by KENNY KRUPNICK »

I'm using George L's stainless steel strings on my Dobro. Like them very much.I also have used GHS Jerry Douglas nickle wound string set that is also good.
Ally

Post by Ally »

The GHS Jerry Douglas strings sound great ... for about two days! They also work well for lap steel.

D'Addario's dobro set give a lot more mileage. Anyone tried the Martin ones? They're the only sets commonly available from my local music stores, but I'm currently working through a box of the GHS's, so haven't tried 'em
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

I prefer John Pearse Nickel Wound dobro strings. I usually tune their "G" gauged set to open "D" or "E".
http://www.jpstrings.com/brstring.htm#Resophonic <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Brad Bechtel on 16 May 2002 at 08:41 AM.]</p></FONT>
Gary Morse

Post by Gary Morse »

I've been using Jagwire dobro strings on both my 6 and 7 string resophonic/dobro guitars.
If you are using any type of magnetic pickup with your dobro then you should use the nickel wound strings. I've been using phosphor bronze on my 7-string (G6 tuning)
and nickel wound on my 6-string dobro. I was previously using John Pearse but have been even more satisfied with the Jagwires. I'm also using Jagwires on all three of my pedal steels.
Ron Randall

Post by Ron Randall »

Gary,

I really like your CD! It stays in the truck, and I play along in the house. Over and over. I'm learning, taking lessons.
Did you record with the Phos/bronze on the CD?

I will get my 8 string from Carroll Benoit in a couple of days.

Thanks for your great music.

------------------
Fender Stringmaster T-8
PV N400