String Rust or Corrosion

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jim Saunders

String Rust or Corrosion

Post by Jim Saunders »

I just changed strings, installing GHS Boomers and I noticed black corrosion on the first 4 strings. That was on the C6th neck. I tried rubbing it off to no avail. But, the good news is that I don't hear any affect on the tone. The E9th strings were GHS Super Steels and were sealed in a plastic wrapper. And they tuned up without breaking. So, what's the problem you ask: just passing it on on a slow day.
Cappone dAngelo

Post by Cappone dAngelo »

The last 2 packs I installed - different brands - both had discolouration/corrosion straight out of the new pack. I don't think I've run into that in 30 years of playing 6 string guitar (electric and acoustic), but just had it twice in a row on PSG strings. Curious ...
Jim Saunders

Hey There

Post by Jim Saunders »

I had the same issue with my last set of D'Addario XL Pro Steels E9's. That is curious that we find it on different brands of strings. Could one maker be making strings for different companies?
I am going to go through my stash and see if I find more of it.
Bobby D. Jones

Post by Bobby D. Jones »

The Strings may have been packed in July or August by someone eating salted peanuts or potato chips, And did not put their gloves back on.
When I used George L's, I got one set with 1 string having rusty spots right where you would grab the string to wind and tuck the ends.

For about the last year, SIT has been using a special sealed plastic string pouch for each string. With some type of rust inhibitor vapor in the pouch. About a year ago when I ordered strings I got 1 old set with paper envelopes, 5 sets was the new sealed packing. Then the full set is sealed in the pouch. Not any color or rust on the strings, When I have opened them.

I have added a set of scissors to my string changing tools. They are necessary to cut the package and string pouches open to remove the strings.
Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

I have black spots on some of my GHS strings but as Jim says, it doesn't seem to matter. I don't remember what they were packed in.

(not a very useful post, really :) )
Make sleeping dogs tell the truth!
Homebuilt keyless U12 7x5, Excel keyless U12 8x8, Williams keyless U12 7x8, Telonics rack and 15" cabs
Frank Freniere

Post by Frank Freniere »

Same experience with several brands in paper wrappers of various vintages. I thought it might have something to do with living near the ocean & the salty air. Will be changing strings more frequently.
Pat Moore

Post by Pat Moore »

FWIW,
Black where they touched in the wrapper means in my book that they're old strings, & have been on the rack for sale for a while.
Pat
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Pat Moore wrote:FWIW,
Black where they touched in the wrapper means in my book that they're old strings, & have been on the rack for sale for a while.
Pat
Yep, since manufacturers or re-packagers don't date-code strings, the ones you're buying could be 3 weeks old or 3 years old. As long as they play okay and don't break easily, I wouldn't worry about it. And yes, there are dozens and dozens of brands of strings, mostly all made by only 4 or 5 companies. Even big-name companies like Fender and Gibson don't make their own strings. :whoa:
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

I have run across many strings with smooth, black marks on them over the years and have never had a problem with them. If there is a darkened, rough place on a string, I won't even bother to put it on the guitar.
Bobby D. Jones wrote:I have added a set of scissors to my string changing tools. They are necessary to cut the package and string pouches open to remove the strings.
Dittos!

One brand (don't recall which one) has a small notch (Tear Here) near one corner of the plastic sleeve, which makes it fairly easy to tear open by hand.

Some plastic sleeves just stretch and won't pull open easily. Scissors are the answer for a quick open and will keep your blood pressure down.
Lee, from South Texas - Down On The Rio Grande

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat
Douglas Cresanta

"String Corrosion"

Post by Douglas Cresanta »

Interesting subject: string corrosion. Here in Central
Florida and less than a mile, from the Atlantic Ocean,
I generally change strings, about every month, due
corrosion. Even using a liquid, "string ease" helps
keeping them clean and shiny, however, they eventually
begin to tarnish.

Doug C.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

I use this product for cleaning up my strings.
It also makes them "slicker". :D
Erv

Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

I've seen several examples of this. I just put 'em on. If there's a particularly ugly one, I use my Happich to clean it up. A little on a cloth and rub until the string quits zinging.

If they don't completely clean up, long as they tune and sound ok, I play 'em just the same.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I used to buy George L's direct from George L's a dozen each E9th and C6th (did that for 30 years). I've seen black spots but it never caused any issue. George L's are OEM'd by GHS.

When I moved to west central Florida (Tampa area) I vacuum sealed what sets I had with my wife's kitchen vacuum sealer as a Florida humidity precaution. It really didn't do anything for the strings, just leaving them in a drawer was just as good. from the first set to the 12th set. I changed strings regularly (10 shows when I was touring) to keep strings bright and minimize any show string breakage.

The last George L's I got (about 2 years ago) were still in paper envelopes. I have since switched to SIT and they are sealed.

As long as I don't play an outside gig strings will last (I usually change about once a month playing every weekend plus Cowboy Church).
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Ken Metcalf

Post by Ken Metcalf »

SIT strings now come in sealed packs and I store them in zip locks with dehumidifier packs that come with almost everything.
Really helps when buying in bulk.
Paper wrappers and old strings that are years old are a problem.
https://sanantoniosteelguitarassoc.com/
MSA 12 String E9th/B6th Universal
Little Walter PF-89.
Patrick Huey

Post by Patrick Huey »

Has anyone had an issue with LiveSteel strings in the past? Always been no issues with me from them.
Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!
Ken Metcalf

Post by Ken Metcalf »

Old corroded strings are old and crusty.
It is not a brand specific problem.
https://sanantoniosteelguitarassoc.com/
MSA 12 String E9th/B6th Universal
Little Walter PF-89.
Clyde Mattocks

Post by Clyde Mattocks »

I've had rust issues with new D'Addario and Live Steel strings. Seems to be worse on .017 and .020. Just got some new D'Addarios in the sealed packages with no issues.
LeGrande II, Nash. 112, Harlow Dobro
Steve Sycamore

Post by Steve Sycamore »

These are pricier than most other strings but I've never experienced rust or corrosion with them (even after being on a guitar for 4 years in damp weather):

Gibson Pure Vintage Reissue (said to be Swedish steel)
Thomastik-Infeld Plain Steel and Nickel Round Wound
Pyramid Nickel Classics (just tried these on my Telecaster so I don't know if they hold up a long time. Reviews indicate they do.)