so this lap steel just came in today, interesting wiring

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Steve Hudson

so this lap steel just came in today, interesting wiring

Post by Steve Hudson »

Some of you may have read my questions abotu this , sight unseen by me, i bought it from GC listed as miscellaneous lap steel. for 300 bucks. i took a shot, knowing i can always return it, well its better looking in person for sure, the striped top is super looking and its defintiely been played this was no sitting ina closet piece. came setup with flatwounds even. the pots and humbuckers all check out great,

Now one other thing i noticed is it was riginally routed for what looks like maybe single coils? in the v routing on top yet humbuckers were used so there some extra space onthe side of the pickup covers,

Now before i had asked if maybe it was an asher or something, and was told, no it was a chinese made guitar.

when i opened the backplate clearly written in english is Rewired 4/18/11 D.A.S

Im think they changed it over to the double humbucker configuration at that time?

Hows thw riring look to you, and what do you think?

Allan Revich

Post by Allan Revich »

I can’t answer your question, but I have one for you. Is the neck pickup a P90 or similar single coil. It looks that way to me.
Current Tunings:
6 String | D – D A D F# A D
7 String | D/f – f D A D F# A D
https://papadafoe.com/lap-steel-tuning-database
Steve Hudson

Post by Steve Hudson »

Allan Revich wrote:I can’t answer your question, but I have one for you. Is the neck pickup a P90 or similar single coil. It looks that way to me.
doesnt appear to be although i havent pulled the pickup out to look behind the cover.
Bob Womack

Post by Bob Womack »

Neck looks like a P-90 built into a humbucker chassis so that it can fit into a bucker slot. Centralized pole pieces.

Bob
"It is said, 'Go not to the elves for counsel for they will say both no and yes.' "
Frodo Baggins to Gildor Inglorion, The Fellowship of the Ring

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (My Little Website)
Rick Abbott

Post by Rick Abbott »

That neck pickup looks like a Seymour Duncan Phat Cat to me. P90 type of thing, like Mr. Womack said.
RICK ABBOTT
Sho~Bud D-10 Professional #7962
Remington T-8, Wakarusa 5e3 clone
1953 Stromberg-Carlson AU-35
Jeff Highland

Post by Jeff Highland »

Looks like someone installed standard size pots to replace mini's
Duesenberg Fairytale
1949 Supro Supreme
1950 National New Yorker
2008 Highland Baritone Weissenborn
2020 Highland New Yorker.
2020 Highland Mohan Veena
2021 Highland Weissencone
Brian Evans

Post by Brian Evans »

The wiring looks fine, solder joints look well flowed and shiny. Wires seem to have been left quite long, probably for future ease of changing and so that the wiring out be done outside of the compartment and then tucked back in, so it's not that well dressed. If it sounds good, it is good.
Steve Hudson

Post by Steve Hudson »

Rick Abbott wrote:That neck pickup looks like a Seymour Duncan Phat Cat to me. P90 type of thing, like Mr. Womack said.
it definitely sounds like a p90, so you might be right on, this thing sounds superb, i definitely got my monies worth, hands down.
Steve Hudson

Post by Steve Hudson »

Bob Womack wrote:Neck looks like a P-90 built into a humbucker chassis so that it can fit into a bucker slot. Centralized pole pieces.

Bob
i think you all are rigtht on, the sound is superb, defintely lucked out on it, im putting new locking tuners on on thursday so i need to pull the strings off anyway, guess ill take a look.
Steve Hudson

Post by Steve Hudson »

Steve Hudson wrote:
Rick Abbott wrote:That neck pickup looks like a Seymour Duncan Phat Cat to me. P90 type of thing, like Mr. Womack said.
it definitely sounds like a p90, so you might be right on, this thing sounds superb, i definitely got my monies worth, hands down.
heres what i just found when i pulled the pickups,
Image So you were right on, its a Seymour Duncan Phat Cat neck,

The bridge though is this, which appears to be a gibson 57 classic,

whoever did this rewiring, really had good taste.
Jack Hanson

Post by Jack Hanson »

I installed one of those '57 Classics in a '57 Ultratone rescue. It sounds superb.
John Viterito

Post by John Viterito »

If I were a betting man, I'd put down hard ducks that that is an Asher, pre-2019 and 2021 updates, which makes it a Chinese made axe. The shape, number of frets, and placement of the pickups strongly indicate this. My point is this: If you want information on how it WAS wired, contact Bill in LA and he'll be able to help you out.
Emerald Solace acoustic laps and Rukavina steels. Can't play, but I try!