Chicken Head Knobs on Newer Peavey Nashville’s

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Johnie Helms

Chicken Head Knobs on Newer Peavey Nashville’s

Post by Johnie Helms »

Question,

Does anyone know if the chicken head knobs on the newer Nashville amps were meant to help protect the control shafts from breaking off if they git bumped…

The original knobs on the older models did not seem to be much protection …

Thanks

JH
David Nugent

Post by David Nugent »

Most likely the change in knobs occurred when production of the '112' was shifted to China. From what I have heard, the original style knobs are no longer available from Peavey..FWIW: Your best protection against shaft damage would be a 'Knob Guard', (a few Forum members were manufacturing these units). If a shaft is broken, it may not be easily replaceable. The pots are soldered directly to the PC board and are mostly built of plastic.
Johnie Helms

Post by Johnie Helms »

I was hoping that was Peavey solution. Guess not.

Thank you for your reply

JH
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

The "chicken head" knobs are usually selected for their "retro" old-time look, as many older '40s and '50s amps featured them. They're also easier to see and feel in low light situations, though Shure whipped that problem elegantly in the '60s with a backlit metal panel. I was always disappointed that other amp manufacturers didn't follow suit.

Knobs that stick out past the cabinet surfaces are sometimes an invitation to disaster. Kind of a stupid design, really, when you think about it. :\
Bill Rowlett

Post by Bill Rowlett »

They look good, but drive me crazy. Every time I pull an amp out of the flight case I have to reset every knob. Round knobs stayed in place...