Gonna buy a new steel -Billy Cooper bound

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

David Dorwart

Gonna buy a new steel -Billy Cooper bound

Post by David Dorwart »

Headed to Billy Coopers next week. Time to upgrade from a Carter Starter. Any insight into GFI Ultra or Fessenden, push-pull Vs all pull, used Vs new, double neck or single ( pad or no pad ) would be appreciated.
Joe Krumel

New steel

Post by Joe Krumel »

Congrats on the new steel. As far as advice you picked the most honorable,honest guy around.Billy will talk you through all the questions you might have. Enjoy the heck out of that new guitar! Jk
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

David, I have a new GFI 4x5 that plays like butter. Tone wise I think the Fessy has it beat. I have never sat down to a Fessy but those I have heard were awesome. I have a couple other makes, Justice and Derby that also play easy and sound awesome.
Wayne Baker

Show Pro

Post by Wayne Baker »

David, have you considered a Show Pro steel guitar? I'll tell you they play like butter and sound great.

Thanks,

Wayne Baker
Show Pro D10 (#217) w9&7, Emmons D10 (#6613) w8&5, Nashville 1000, Nashville 400, Beard E model reso, Dobro and a Martin D41...
Colin Swinney

Post by Colin Swinney »

If moving it from place to place all the time isn’t a concern, go for a D-10 (or a Universal if you’re feeling spicy). Even if you never play C6, it makes a great arm rest. I barely touched my back neck for the first couple of years, now I barely play the front one. It’s nice to change it up sometimes and have the option to try new sounds.
Bobby D. Jones

Post by Bobby D. Jones »

Bill Cooper was a GFI and FESSENDEN my last visit about 4 years ago. He usually has several steels of different names sitting in the Used steel display area.. Good Luck choosing the one you want. He set up the GFI Ultra S12 U I play, All I done was change it from Emmons to Day on the A-C pedals. Good Luck in your pick of the herd, And Happy Steelin.
Pete McAvity

Post by Pete McAvity »

Get you a D10 or U12- save a step & another transaction.
Excel Superb D10, Kline U12, Sarno Black Box, Goodrich L120, Boss DD5, Baby Bloomer, 1965 Super Reverb chopped to a head, feeding a mystery PA cab w/ a K130.

They say "thats how it goes". I say "that ain't the way it stays!"
Richard Alderson

Post by Richard Alderson »

The visit to Billy Coopers Steel Guitar shop, 20504 Constitution High Way, Orange VA, is a visit to a legendary pedal steel guitar store that has been in business for about 40 years. I would treat it like a visit to a cherished shrine myself. Don't lose out on a visit to Billy Cooper's.
Derby SD-10 5x6; GFI S-10 5x5; GFI S-10 5x5; Zum D-10 8x7; Zum D-10 9x9; Fender 400; Fender Rumble 200; Nashville 400; Telonics TCA-500.
Archie Walpole

Post by Archie Walpole »

For your consideration. My two cents as a 68 yo mediocre 6 string classic rocker turned pedal steeler: I have wanted to sit behind and learn how to play a pedal steel for 50…yes….50 years…..and finally took the plunge. Such that you live in FL, make an appointment with Billy Cooper…..get up there….and put your needs/wants in his practiced hands. Billy will be surgical in putting you in the right gear. As a beginner, if you’re looking for a very good instrument, look at his selection of GFIs. If you’re looking for both a good instrument and all the trappings of polished aluminum, get a Williams or a Rittenberry right out of the blocks. I’m gassing for a Ritt already. Billy will not steer you wrong. He is an incredibly honest businessman….and a great steeler. Good luck in your quest.
Larry Jamieson

Post by Larry Jamieson »

David, Have you made the trip yet? Curious minds want to know what instrument you may have purchased. Hope you find one that will inspire you to start the journey of learning to make music on a pedal steel guitar.
Jon Voth

Post by Jon Voth »

Well?
Larry Jamieson

Post by Larry Jamieson »

Just saw another post from David. He bought a new GFI, had it shipped to Florida and it arrive in tune and ready to play.