Some people will hate this!

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Nic du Toit

Post by Nic du Toit »

Hi Don,
I iried this on a keyboard: Strike notes c and e use pitch wheel to raise half step while dropping c note to b. Very Happy Don D.
No Problem......edit in Piano Roll, Sonar X1 Producer.....a powerful tool.
1970 P/P Emmons D10 flatback 8x5, BJS Bar, J F picks, Peavey Session 500, Telonics pedal. Boss GX700 effects.
Douglas Steinschneider

Post by Douglas Steinschneider »

I'm resurrecting this old thread to introduce myself. I play bass and guitar. A month ago I stumbled across the Wavelore product and decided it would help me learn more about pedal steel so I bought it. Joining this forum has been a big help - thanks to all contributors!

I walked through the Wavelore tutorial videos and that helped me understand pedal steel better. It can emulate basic pedal bends, someone with decent keyboard skill who knows the product well and understands pedal steel could at least add parts to rock songs that fit in well. That's my approach.

I don't think I'll ever walk into a country music venue and see someone playing PSG parts on a keyboard :D
Dave Hopping

Post by Dave Hopping »

Saw a 3 piece last weekend who had steel and fiddle tracks. Fiddle tracks were pretty good, steel sounded kinda fakey.I'd talked with the bandleader previously about doing some work for him, but at the gig he was all about getting a co-lead singer, which is a little above my pay grade.

I didn't think to suggest that he could save money by going full-on karaoke with a harmonizer and rhythm section tracks. ;-)
Douglas Steinschneider

Post by Douglas Steinschneider »

We've had many conversations about backing tracks versus midi tracks (a la BIAB) versus live VST playing over at the Cantabile forum (live performance software for PC's). The consensus is that it can be done with subtlety but quickly turns into karaoke if you're not careful.