Arthritic hands

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Jon Kostal

Arthritic hands

Post by Jon Kostal »

This is a video I posted in 2015 to help the sale of my Harmony Roy Smeck lap steel. I recorded it on my lunch break of my job as a Mercedes-Benz technician. I think it helped sell the steel, which I was not fond of. I think it's entertaining. You can see my big hands. Still have 'em, working ok.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYquwHvRO3A
John Watson

Arthritic hands

Post by John Watson »

Nice playing - no need for a backup track! Re the arthritis- ever think of switching to pedal steel - would probably be a bit easier on the joints.
Melbert 8 string lap, James Adam's square neck reso, B- Bender Fender Tele.
Jon Kostal

Post by Jon Kostal »

Thanks!I actually started on Pedal Steel, on an Emmons D-10 P/P that I still have. Doesn't make much difference, really, but thanks!
Mark Mansueto

Post by Mark Mansueto »

I have some arthritis in my hands but an even bigger issue is a bone spur in my thumb joint that gets quite painful at times. I experimented with different bars and found that the Shubb GS1 is the easiest to hold due to the wood top and the wood is also not as cold.
Jon Kostal

Post by Jon Kostal »

Thanks! I’ll look into it.
Steve Lipsey

Post by Steve Lipsey »

The solution I found is diclofenac cream It is basically ibuprofen that sinks in and simply makes the inflammation recede, and in a few days of use your hands will feel a lot better, if not completely fine. I have the same issue with that joint - it pops up whenever I use it too much - and the diclofenac saves the day. give it a day or two of use and you will see...
Diclofenac Sodium topical Gel, 1%.
My doctor recommended and prescribed it, but it looks like it now is available over the counter (Amazon, wherever).

www.facebook.com/swingaliband & a few more....
Williams S10s, Milkman Pedal Steel Mini & "The Amp"
Ben Bonham "CooderNator" archtop parlor electric reso w/Fishman & Lollar string-through
Ben Bonham "ResoBorn" deep parlor acoustic reso with Weissenborn neck and Fishman
Ben Bonham Style 3 Tricone., 1954 Oahu Diana, 1936 Oahu Parlor Squareneck
Jon Kostal

Post by Jon Kostal »

Thanks, Steve! I’ll give it a try.
Bill Groner

Post by Bill Groner »

You can get it pretty much any where........it is under the name Voltaren. You probably won't be able to dance like the guy on the TV commercial though, so just a heads up on that!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxAF7MCKMaU
Currently own, 6 Groner-tone lap steels, one 1953 Alamo Lap steel, Roland Cube, Fender Champion 40
Steve Lipsey

Post by Steve Lipsey »

Ah...looks like plain diclofenac is now over the counter...I guess the Voltaren patent expired. But also seems that there is Voltaren Emulgel Extra Strength that is twice as strong as plain diclofenac.
I've never needed anything stronger - genesis diclofenac is magical - but I am sure there are those with much worse arthritis who might need it.
www.facebook.com/swingaliband & a few more....
Williams S10s, Milkman Pedal Steel Mini & "The Amp"
Ben Bonham "CooderNator" archtop parlor electric reso w/Fishman & Lollar string-through
Ben Bonham "ResoBorn" deep parlor acoustic reso with Weissenborn neck and Fishman
Ben Bonham Style 3 Tricone., 1954 Oahu Diana, 1936 Oahu Parlor Squareneck