Ed Doty, OSGA

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Beverly Harris

Ed Doty, OSGA

Post by Beverly Harris »

I am so sad to report that our OSGA VP, long time member, and friend passed away this afternoon at 5:33 after a long hard fight.
His daughter said this about her daddy "He's now dancing on streets of gold, has clear speech and a clear mind, and no broken bones".
We are going to miss Ed so much. Keep his family and friends in your prayers
Billy Lovell

Post by Billy Lovell »

That is so SAD to hear. We LOVED to hear Ed play and enjoyed talking to him at the "shows". will miss him and his music! Billy and Violet Lovell
Darvin Willhoite

Post by Darvin Willhoite »

Ed was my cousin, but was really more like a brother. He gave me my first guitar, then later got me started playing the pedal steel. He also got me my first job in the engineering field which I worked in for nearly 50 years. He was a great guy and lived to help someone else, which is what he was doing when he had a bad fall a few days ago. He had so many injuries he just couldn't recover. Rest in peace Cuz, see you soon.

Last edited by Darvin Willhoite on 4 Oct 2021 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Darvin Willhoite
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.
Terry Wood

Post by Terry Wood »

Sorry to hear this! Prayers for the Family and Friends!
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

So sad. I talked to Ed at great lengths during the Oklahoma show this year. He was warm, friendly, a wealth of knowledge and wonderful steel player. He made me feel welcome and like a longtime friend. My prayers and thoughts for his family and friends.
john buffington

Ed Doty

Post by john buffington »

Prayers and deepest sympathies to the Doty family on Ed's passing. Ed was a long time active member in the OSGA.
Richard McDonald

Post by Richard McDonald »

So sad about the passing of Ed,
See you in heaven my friend.
🙏’s for the Doty family.
💔
Junior Knight

Post by Junior Knight »

Prayers up for all the family!
2006 Msa S-12 “milly” 8 & 5

. Peavey Nashville 1-12 Tommy Huff speaker cabs. Goodrich pedals & matchbro.Steeler Choice seats.. that is all..(for now) lol

Jagwire Strings
Facebook/ Junior Knight, Steel Guitar
Duane Dunard

Post by Duane Dunard »

Very sad news, I really liked Ed. I met him at the Tulsa Show back in the 1990’s and we soon bonded as friends. RIP Ed, and prayers for his family.
Last edited by Duane Dunard on 5 Oct 2021 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul King

Post by Paul King »

Ed was a great guy to be around. I met him at the Oklahoma Show and had some great visits with him. He loved steel guitar with a passion like many of us do. I will sure miss him.
C.D. Richards

Ed Doty

Post by C.D. Richards »

Sure hated to her that Ed has passed away. I meet Ed when he first joined the OSGA. We have been friends every since and I will certainly miss seeing and visiting with him at the club meetings and shows. I know he is in a better place now.
Marty Neer

Ed Doty

Post by Marty Neer »

So long pal we'll see each other again. RIP my friend.
Roy Rosetta

Post by Roy Rosetta »

So sad to hear. Rest in peace dear friend and go be with Our Precious Lord. Mine and Barbara's condolences to Ed's family.
...Roy and Barbara
Music is a "gift" with many wrappings....
....Roy
Beverly Harris

Post by Beverly Harris »

Roy Rosetta wrote:So sad to hear. Rest in peace dear friend and go be with Our Precious Lord. Mine and Barbara's condolences to Ed's family.
...Roy and Barbara
He was so proud to share the same birthday.
john buffington

Post by john buffington »

Services for Ed Doty will be:
2PM, Monday, Oct. 11, 2021
Claremore United Methodist Church, 1615 North Hwy 88.
Jason Stillwell

Post by Jason Stillwell »

Just to reiterate what I had posted on the other thread...

It's just so hard to believe that we have lost TWO of our Oklahoma steelers in such a short time since the June show, both of them really great men. I really doubt that Ed Doty knew a stranger. I always enjoyed visiting with him so much. He always was such a great encourager to me. When my family came by the show to make their appearance, he lit up seeing my little grandson and talked a bit about his own family. He was pretty quick to point out that he had kids my age and older! I'm praying for God's hand of comfort on Ed's family. He will certainly be missed.