Lap Steel MOCKBA

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Janusz Achtabowski

Lap Steel MOCKBA

Post by Janusz Achtabowski »

Someone played this instrument? Is it worth modifying?
Larry Carlson

Post by Larry Carlson »

If it sounds and plays OK I think I would leave it as it is.
It is just weird enough for me to really get attached to.
I have stuff.
I try to make music with it.
Sometimes it works.
Sometimes it doesn't.
But I keep on trying.
Phillip Hermans

Post by Phillip Hermans »

What a curious instrument!

Is that separate output for each pickup?
I watched a video of Billy Sheehan explaining how he uses that approach with his bass to great effect.
Although my guess is this is just the quirk of early instrument building?
Nic Neufeld

Post by Nic Neufeld »

Its pretty interesting as is!

I wonder, if it is a mono output but some kind of plug where you have the positive/negative output of the pickup in separate jacks?

Something that unique, I wouldn't rush to rip apart into a new instrument, if possible. But if it is completely unworkable or broken, then maybe...
Waikīkī, at night when the shadows are falling
I hear the rolling surf calling
Calling and calling to me
John Rosett

Post by John Rosett »

It shares some features with this Resonet Arioso: https://reverb.com/item/10722206-resone ... 55-natural
"it's not in bad taste, if it's funny." - john waters
Mike Stidham

Re: Lap Steel MOCKBA

Post by Mike Stidham »

Janusz Achtabowski wrote:Someone played this instrument? Is it worth modifying?
Looked up "Lap Steel MOCKBA" on Google. First thing that came up was a picture of an instrument that looked identical to yours. Here's a little background on the instrument...
"Soviet Lap Steel Guitar 1960-1965 made by Moscow Experimental Music Factory.

The Hawaiian electric Lap-steel by Moscow Experimental Factory of Musical Instruments is considered to be one of the first guitars in the Soviet Union.

In fact this is the usual transmission Lap-steel, which at the time was not enough, and many Western firms engaged in their production. Like any other Soviet guitar, Lap-steel of domestic manufacture began to be when the boom in these technologies has passed. The guitar was made from the 60's throughout the 80s in very small editions. Like any experimental guitar in the USSR it was of decent quality!"

Don't know that I'd "modify" it, but I would do what I could to restore it.
Kirk Francis

Mockba

Post by Kirk Francis »

please, DO NOT MODIFY IT!

if you don't like it, just sell it to someone who does. then you both will be happy.
The mainland is intimidating, bewildering, and uncomfortable. And you have to wear shoes. -- Theroux.
Janusz Achtabowski

OK. I do not modify.
Jack Hanson

Re: Mockba

Post by Jack Hanson »

Kirk Francis wrote:please, DO NOT MODIFY IT!
Agreed. If it ain't broke, don't "fix" it!
Tom Snook

Post by Tom Snook »

Cool!What's the scale length? Looks pretty short to me. What's it sound like? I've seen a couple different colored ones on Reverb.com or Ebay
Aloha
I wanna go back to my little grass shack........
Rainer Schmidt

Post by Rainer Schmidt »

There are lots of stories about this instrument on the web. Some can be found in a 4 page thread on sovietguitars.com
Somewhere else some owner wrote that the case was its best part. To me it's a very useable instrument with a quite common scale of 580 mm. I'd say "modify: no! (in case you have seen my 7-string in the "valuable" thread: this one wass already stripped and parts missing) get electrical things sorted out: hell yes!"
Have a look at the schematic in this user's guide (Instrument "passport"):
tone pot is 100k which is low enough to suck tone, rolled down or not. There is an additional, unwanted capacitor in line (here the paper is torn away). Somewhere it was stated that it's there to protect the player from electrical shock if dumb enough to connect to mains via banana plug :eek: . I modernized the circuit using > 500k tone pot.
Drawing of PU on the left shows the actual construction: magnetic poles are quite far away from each other. The tone is very warm and thick with a nice growl. I tried one of these in my amateur built 50s console which sounds a bit stiff, and it really came to life.
Oh, and do check position of the wooden bridge. Looks as if it should be moved back towards tail.
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

"Russians invented Hawaiian music!"
- Ensign Chekov
Steel Guitar Books! Website: www.volkmediabooks.com
Dom Franco

Post by Dom Franco »

perhaps this kind of plug would work
Bengt Erlandsen

Post by Bengt Erlandsen »

I do have one exactly like that. Tuners could need an upgrade but they do work good enough to keep guitar in tune tho. It sounds all good and resonant played without turning the amp on. The pickup could need an upgrade but then you most likely would need to route away some wood underneath it as I seem to recall it not beeing same height as other singlecoils or humbucker pickups. The plug Dom Franco posted a pic of would most like fit as the original wiring was hot on on socket and shield on the other. The two controls are volume and tone. I modified mine to have the oval stratocaster type connector where the two brass plugs are shown on the original guitar. I also included a groundwire to where the ball-end of the strings are attached.

The black block of hardwood with the metalrod where the strings pass over is moveable so you can set your octave intonation correct in relation to the fretboard.

The lapsteel on the picture is missing a Mockba decal(blue w gold letters) that should have been placed on the fretboard(players side) between frets 12-24

Lightweight, sounds totally ok and looks cool too imo.

I have no idea how old it is tho.

B.Erlandsen
Rainer Schmidt

Post by Rainer Schmidt »

Bengt Erlandsen wrote:

The lapsteel on the picture is missing a Mockba decal(blue w gold letters) that should have been placed on the fretboard(players side) between frets 12-24
Cool. But I never have seen any of those?

Original electric components are dated in plain Numbers. (I have '66 and '61)
Janusz Achtabowski

Thanks for the information. They are interesting. I read that the standard tuning is EAEAC#E. I am a beginner. Does it make any difference ?
Bill Hatcher

Post by Bill Hatcher »

that wood looks like it may be beech.
Janusz Achtabowski

Bill Hatcher wrote:that wood looks like it may be beech.
I think so too.

But what is this tuning. EAEAC#E.
Joe A. Roberts

Post by Joe A. Roberts »

There is no standard tuning for lap steels. The tuning you mention was the first and was nearly the only one in use until the early 1930s. It is a good tuning, and you can use a normal pack of guitar strings.
There is a lot of learning materials in C6th tuning too, and that tuning has more chord possibilities, but you will need buy/make a special string set for that one.
Peter Funk

Post by Peter Funk »

In case you didn't scroll down Molin Oleg's link, here is a MOCKBA in action: https://youtu.be/kmPB-5m_SPw
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

The body shape is similar to this old Alamo lap steel guitar.

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=330321