New Video - Wayfaring Stranger

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Doug Beaumier

New Video - Wayfaring Stranger

Post by Doug Beaumier »

One of my favorite old folk songs. I'm playing a 1958 Airline lap steel, standard C6 tuning. I'm using a flat pick on this one. Thanks for watching.

----> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0MsCl3J-7g

Last edited by Doug Beaumier on 25 Sep 2021 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lonnie Wells

Post by Lonnie Wells »

Hi Doug,
nice job on that old gospel song. I appreciate you posting these videos.
I been playing 6 string lap steel for about a year and enjoying it a lot. Also play pedal steel for much longer. I noticed you use a straight pick for many of your lap videos.
I been using the thumb/finger picks and playing more like the pedal steel. Is there and any advantage to using the straight pick? thanks again!
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Thanks Lonnie, I too have been playing pedal steel for many years and I use finger picks on pedal steel. On lap steel I use mostly finger picks, and occasionally a flat pick. For certain songs I like the "strumming sound" of a guitar pick, and it's very useful for tremolo picking (rapid notes) on one string. But for most chord work on steel guitar we pick string groups that omit certain strings. For example, if you need to play strings 2, 3, and 5 at the same time, a flat pick won't work (unless you use a combination of pick and fingers).
Joe Elk

Post by Joe Elk »

Nice Doug! And generally do not like anything with minor chords.

Joe Elk Central Ohio
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Thanks Joe. I like playing songs in minor keys. The sound is kind of mysterious and interesting IMO. This one's in Cm.
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

I've loved that song for years and appreciated everyone from Jo Stafford to Tony Rice's take on it. Your rendition is terrific, Doug.
Steel Guitar Books! Website: www.volkmediabooks.com
Bob Watson

Post by Bob Watson »

Nice work Doug, it sounds wonderful!
Cliff Swanson

Post by Cliff Swanson »

So beautiful Doug! I've played this tune on 6-string guitar but hadn't thought of learning it on the lap steel. Need to get it under my fingers now :-).

Thanks for posting it.
Cliff
Mike A Holland

Post by Mike A Holland »

Always great to hear a new video from you Doug. You have inspired many of us here through the years. I have a preference for the 6 string also. I assume you are subtly using a volume pedal which sounds great. With the numbers of views you get on your YouTube channel I would guess you are the biggest asset for keeping the Lap Steel in most peoples consciousness. What a great effort from you. Hoping to see more videos from you in the not too distant future. You are such a credit to the Lap Steel Guitar world!
Mike
Cliff Swanson

Post by Cliff Swanson »

Mike A Holland wrote:Always great to hear a new video from you Doug. You have inspired many of us here through the years. I have a preference for the 6 string also. I assume you are subtly using a volume pedal which sounds great. With the numbers of views you get on your YouTube channel I would guess you are the biggest asset for keeping the Lap Steel in most peoples consciousness. What a great effort from you. Hoping to see more videos from you in the not too distant future. You are such a credit to the Lap Steel Guitar world!
Mike
Agreed!
Cliff
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Thank you for the kind comments. Yes Mike, I'm using a volume pedal. You can probably tell by my right knee rising and falling. :) I've been using a volume pedal for 50 years on pedal steel, so I'm very comfortable with one. I'm also using delay on the steel, which broadens and fattens the sound. So the combination of delay and volume swells helps to create a smooth sound IMO.
Chuck S. Lettes

Post by Chuck S. Lettes »

Nice version, Doug. Like you, I love the sound of delay and the volume pedal on the lap steel. Hope you are doing well.
Chuck
Last edited by Chuck S. Lettes on 26 Sep 2021 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
C. E. Jackson

Re: New Video - Wayfaring Stranger

Post by C. E. Jackson »

Doug Beaumier wrote:One of my favorite old folk songs. I'm playing a 1958 Airline lap steel, standard C6 tuning. I'm using a flat pick on this one. Thanks for watching.

----> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0MsCl3J-7g

Doug, great as usual.

Friend to all,

C. E. Jackson :D
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Thanks all! When this lap steel was made in 1958 it was considered a low end, entry level guitar, sold in a department stores (Montgomery Ward). But it's actually better quality than a lot of entry level imports on the market today IMO.